Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 07:03:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 2232 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
The Beatles
« on March 22, 2017, 09:53:20 am by not on facebook »
It's the 50th birthday of their sg peppers lonely hearts club album today.

I know many out there will have fond memory's of the Beatles ,but I can't stand them.

I think their music was/is shite as it really turns me off.

John Lennon was a prick and that yoko bird in my book brought the downfall of the Beatles ,and she was pig ugly.

WTF was that all about sitting in a hotel window with no clothes on the attention seeking pillocks.

As for Paul MCCarthy he can take a running jump aswell ,the floppy throated has been.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: The Beatles
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2017, 10:08:24 am by idler »
I preferred the Stones but you can't deny the impact and influence that the Beatles had on music.
They did some fantastic stuff. There used to be a slot on Brian Mathews sounds of the sixties where he would play two tracks every week and then discuss them with George Martin. It was a fantastic insight of the music scene then.
It's like ripples in a pond. The Beatles were influenced by the r&b style of Chuck Berry etc. and listening to AFN broadcasts in Germany. They then become famous and influence more and more groups.
The beach boys spent months writing and recording an album featuring good vibrations among others and feeling it was ground breaking.
Brian Wilson then heard Sgt. Pepper when it was released and said that it blew their album out of the water.
I hate some bands and performers but still appreciate their talent.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2017, 10:21:14 am by not on facebook »
I do take on board that the Beatles was a great band as so many people went nuts over them and still are into them today.

They was not my cup of tea and the more I listened to them it drove me more away from them.

Funny how music has played tricks with my mind as when I was much younger I hated Michael Jackson as new order was my cup of tea.

As soon as I heard a Michael Jackson track at mainline or park lane or even rotters I would leave the dance floor as I hated him back then.thought his music was shite etc etc.

But today now I have woke up and smelt the coffer I no where understand what a idiot I must have been to blank Michael Jackson music .

Saying the above as a person he was a fcuked up freak show.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2017, 11:09:48 am by drfchound »
John Lennon, one of the greatest song writers of all time and a massive influence on many artists to this day.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2017, 11:31:00 am by MrFrost »
Such a shame that mainstream music is awful these days.

In fact, barring one or two decent bands/artists, there isn't a lot around at all.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2017, 05:00:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sergeant Pepper wasn't even their best album so I don't get why just that one is having its anniversary celebrated...

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2017, 06:53:29 pm by NickDRFC »
Sergeant Pepper wasn't even their best album so I don't get why just that one is having its anniversary celebrated...

It might not be your favourite but it's hard to argue that it isn't their most famous/most celebrated

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2017, 07:08:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It might not be your favourite but it's hard to argue that it isn't their most famous/most celebrated

I didn't say it wasn't my favourite or not. I think Revolver was a much more important album in music history as it was their first one where they really tried to show what was possible using the studio itself as an instrument, something that had never been tried before because before The Beatles it was the studio norm to 'get 'em in, get 'em on tape' get 'em out'. When The Beatles became such a massive earner for EMI and were allowed virtually unlimted time in the studio, it was then that they showed massive innovations in recording techniques, mainly on Revolver, and especially on Tomorrow Never Knows.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2017, 07:54:13 pm by not on facebook »
Think it s the art work on the cover of sg peppers lonely hearts club
that helps draw spliffs into it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 22, 2017, 11:04:27 pm by IDM »
The big difference and impact of the Beatles was from the very earliest days of their recording, they were writing and performing their own stuff..

Whether that was your cup of tea or not, that was very unusual in those days.  There were writers, and there were performers, with a few exceptions.  The Beatles made songwriting/performing mainstream..

They were pioneers...

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 23, 2017, 11:36:26 am by Herbert Anchovy »

In fact, barring one or two decent bands/artists, there isn't a lot around at all.

There's plenty of good music around if you have a good look for it. 6 Music is great for discovering new music.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2017, 12:25:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The big difference and impact of the Beatles was from the very earliest days of their recording, they were writing and performing their own stuff..

Whether that was your cup of tea or not, that was very unusual in those days.  There were writers, and there were performers, with a few exceptions.  The Beatles made songwriting/performing mainstream..

They were pioneers...

I'd have said Buddy Holly was the trailblazer in that respect. When you think of the canon (not to say quality) of work he left behind, and then remember he was only 22 when he died, it feels like he was the Mozart of the rock'n'roll generation.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2017, 01:23:46 pm by IDM »
I agree about Buddy Holly, one of the "few exceptions" I meant... 

Elvis didn't write much, did he??

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 23, 2017, 01:32:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No, but then I've never really rated Elvis.

I often wonder if there's any of the multitude of Elvis impersonators out there who do what Elvis would be doing now, were he still alive, which is to sing other peoples up-to-date songs Elvis style? All the ones I ever seem to see are just repeating what he did in his lifetime. You'd have thought at least one would have done something like this to stand out from the crowd!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2017, 03:07:56 pm by MrFrost »

There's plenty of good music around if you have a good look for it. 6 Music is great for discovering new music.

I listen to indie/rock myself, and barring one or two exceptions, most new acts are a rehash of others. There isn't anything unique these days.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2017, 03:24:06 pm by MachoMadness »
It's a cyclical thing, really MF. Indie rock was huge in the mid-2000s and there were some genuine pioneering acts about - Libertines, Arctic Monkeys etc that led that wave. In the years following a craze like that you get a lot of bandwagoners making watered-down shite. We're in the tail end of that as far as indie rock goes, it happened to alt rock/grunge in the 90s, it'll happen to grime next.

2016 was a belting year for new music, problem is clearing away all the shit so you can hear it.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2017, 03:26:03 pm by MrFrost »
It's a cyclical thing, really MF. Indie rock was huge in the mid-2000s and there were some genuine pioneering acts about - Libertines, Arctic Monkeys etc that led that wave. In the years following a craze like that you get a lot of bandwagoners making watered-down shite. We're in the tail end of that as far as indie rock goes, it happened to alt rock/grunge in the 90s, it'll happen to grime next.

2016 was a belting year for new music, problem is clearing away all the shit so you can hear it.

Funny you mention those two bands, as they are a couple who still keep me interested.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2017, 04:14:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

You're right. Years ago I was talking to a bloke about music in the 60's and he said that everyone only remembers the good stuff, but forgets that for every Beatles there was 20 Freddie & the Dreamers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2017, 06:08:20 pm by The Red Baron »

I often wonder if there's any of the multitude of Elvis impersonators out there who do what Elvis would be doing now, were he still alive, which is to sing other peoples up-to-date songs Elvis style? All the ones I ever seem to see are just repeating what he did in his lifetime. You'd have thought at least one would have done something like this to stand out from the crowd!

You'd also think that one of them would do the Young Elvis rather than the fat, fading "Viva Las Vegas" version.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 23, 2017, 06:24:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

You'd also think that one of them would do the Young Elvis rather than the fat, fading "Viva Las Vegas" version.

There are quite a few who do that. It all depends on their own age though!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 23, 2017, 06:26:08 pm by RedJ »
Aye, you'd struggle to play a young, attractive Elvis if you're a fat middle aged bloke.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 23, 2017, 07:14:43 pm by tommy toes »
The golden era of music IMO was 1968 to 72 with bands/artists like Floyd, Free, Led Zep, Tull, Camel, Yes, Bowie, Carol King, Captain Beefheart, Alex Harvey, LW111, etc and you could say many of them were influenced by The Beatles, Stones, Chuck Berry or Muddy Waters
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:23:28 pm by tommy toes »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012