Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:14:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When article 50 is triggered this week  (Read 9668 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: When article 50 is triggered this week
« Reply #90 on April 09, 2017, 11:10:44 am by not on facebook »
A very good return of serve there filo filo fella.

I will pull up a armchair and scoff me pop corn.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:56:49 am by not on facebook »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on April 09, 2017, 01:19:49 pm by Lipsy »
Filo, Glynn did nothing of the sort. You want to read into it that he did so that you can say the resistance to Europe was all about the fact that it become the EU. Which, in turn, panders to your view that we signed up to the Common Market and not some kind of United States of Europe... Because that's the point you're gagging to make regarding UKIP.

I've shown you that the resistance to it was constant, but your radicalised brain won't accept it, so you keep repeating the same point over and over again - even when presented with information and facts that show that you're wrong. It's called cognitive dissonance.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on April 09, 2017, 06:19:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
All Glynn did was provide you with a brief history of euroscepticism whilst we have been in the E.E.C and the EU.

I appreciate that you're heavy on opinion and light on facts, but you're just plain wrong here. The bitching, carping, moaning and undermining of our participation in Europe has been constant (from politicians and press alike). There was no 'quietly getting on with it' - which I appreciate was just a dig at Remain voters. Heck, I believe Farage voted for the Green Party in 1989 because of their anti-Europe stance...

So (deep breath) that's the Labour Party as whole until 84 (though some prominent figures in the party continued to moan), the Greens, vocal Tories throughout, the Anti-Federalist League that then morphed into UKIP, and the radicalising right wing press throughout we're all it - all pandering to a population that continued to moan and hate our partipation in Europe.

In that brief history, Glynn implied that UKIP was formed on the back of the first referendum, it clearly was n't as it took almost 20 years for UKIP to appear, Glynn convenienlty chose to omit that fact from his brief history

No I didn't imply anything. It was a bald statement that an anti-Europe political party was formed after the 1975 referendum, which is true and why I sad it. You made the implication in your own head because you wanted to quibble about a timescale that is irrelevant to what I originally said.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on April 09, 2017, 06:52:07 pm by Filo »
All Glynn did was provide you with a brief history of euroscepticism whilst we have been in the E.E.C and the EU.

I appreciate that you're heavy on opinion and light on facts, but you're just plain wrong here. The bitching, carping, moaning and undermining of our participation in Europe has been constant (from politicians and press alike). There was no 'quietly getting on with it' - which I appreciate was just a dig at Remain voters. Heck, I believe Farage voted for the Green Party in 1989 because of their anti-Europe stance...

So (deep breath) that's the Labour Party as whole until 84 (though some prominent figures in the party continued to moan), the Greens, vocal Tories throughout, the Anti-Federalist League that then morphed into UKIP, and the radicalising right wing press throughout we're all it - all pandering to a population that continued to moan and hate our partipation in Europe.

In that brief history, Glynn implied that UKIP was formed on the back of the first referendum, it clearly was n't as it took almost 20 years for UKIP to appear, Glynn convenienlty chose to omit that fact from his brief history

No I didn't imply anything. It was a bald statement that an anti-Europe political party was formed after the 1975 referendum, which is true and why I sad it. You made the implication in your own head because you wanted to quibble about a timescale that is irrelevant to what I originally said.

Bullshit

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on April 09, 2017, 08:38:42 pm by idler »
Certain papers moaned. Certain senior Tories moaned and sometimes the man in the street moaned.
Generally most members of the public just got on with it.
Views seemed more polarised from the mid to late 90s onwards in my opinion for what it's worth.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on April 09, 2017, 08:54:07 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Certain papers moaned. Certain senior Tories moaned and sometimes the man in the street moaned.
Views seemed more polarised from the mid to late 90s onwards in my opinion for what it's worth.

When things changed/were changing    exactly idler, but that doesn't suit some who's views think that everybody who voted leave is a muppet and believed bullshite and the remainers were never fed bullshite and everything that was said on the remain side was so whiter than white  ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on April 09, 2017, 09:19:20 pm by RedJ »
See, nobody on here has said what you've just said they said...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on April 10, 2017, 07:45:50 am by Filo »

When things changed/were changing    exactly idler, but that doesn't suit some who's views think that everybody who voted leave is a muppet and believed bullshite and the remainers were never fed bullshite and everything that was said on the remain side was so whiter than white  ;)

And thats the problem on this thread, too many pople that think they know it all, and prepared to belittle anyone else that does n't hold the same views

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on April 10, 2017, 09:06:00 am by Glyn_Wigley »

And thats the problem on this thread, too many pople that think they know it all, and prepared to belittle anyone else that does n't hold the same views

Bullshit

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on April 10, 2017, 10:52:49 am by MachoMadness »

It's not belittling, it's posting facts and asking the other side of the argument to do the same. The thrust of this argument is that there have ALWAYS been prominent Eurosceptics who aren't "getting on with it" since we've been a part of the EU, you've been presented with the facts to back this up and chose to deflect and try to shift the argument to some minor quibble about UKIP's timeline, rather than actually back up what you're saying. Being called out on that isn't belittling your views, and it's a sad sign of the times that in the post-fact era just expecting people to back up their opinions with facts and evidence is seen as "belittling".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:32:39 am by MachoMadness »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on April 10, 2017, 06:42:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I still believe many people voted to leave in response to the patronising and condescending attitudes of the remainers.

I for one was almost swayed by their arrogance to such an extent that I nearly changed my vote to one of leave, and since the result, their ''we know best' attitude, followed by the  'brexiters are fools' jibes simply makes me not want to be on their side.

I don't even want to discuss it with them anymore, and the rest of you should follow suit and just let them get on with their love in unopposed.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on April 10, 2017, 07:11:47 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Not sure voters' choice was about being on anybody's side BB, people voted based on what were their own particular concerns.  I do find it strange that whilst you voted remain, your contributions to the many debates on here since place you firmly in the Brexit corner.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on April 10, 2017, 08:01:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If I came across like that Iatealthepies it's because I can't abide the doom and gloom cocksureness of those people who claim to know more than anybody else in the world about the consequences of brexit, when in truth it's all conjecture.

Why on earth these exceptional scholars want to deploy their expert prophecies on what isn't even the main page of a lower league football forum is beyond me - unless it's just an easy outlet to bully other, mere ordinary mortals on it.

I voted to remain because I was concerned about my pension. From a selfish point of view, I'm glad I lost, because two of my pensions have increased, one by 20% and another by 13%.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on April 11, 2017, 07:19:47 am by Herbert Anchovy »
What the referendum aftermath told me was that for a country who's adopted mantra is

"Keep Calm & Carry On"

We're not actually very good at keeping calm and carrying on. In fact we can chuck our toys out the pram with an arrogance, petulance and downright childishness as good as any of our European friends.

Neither side came out of it very well.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on April 11, 2017, 11:27:45 am by The Red Baron »
I voted in that time.
I voted to be part of a group of trading nations not a federal Europe as it seems to be heading now.

I actually have some sympathy for this point of view. Though I have watched the interviews with Ted Heath from the early 70s, which seem to suggest he was pretty clear where Europe was heading and was prepared to commit to that. Similarly, Churchill knew where it was going back in the late 40s and early 50s when he played his part in setting it up and was still up for it enough when he backed our failed attempt at joining in the 60s.

How joining and remaining was sold to the people of the UK back in the in the 60s and 70s is another matter entirely, but key figures in its formation and taking us in seemed pretty clear.

Funny, that's not how I remember the 1975 Referendum at all. I wasn't old enough to vote but I did take an interest and I would have voted to stay in.

The in campaign was based around the EEC being a trading bloc. There was no talk of political union. In fact it was the out campaigners- people like Tony Benn, Enoch Powell and Michael Foot- who raised the spectre of political union and the loss of sovereignty.

In fact, if you look at the out campaign's literature from 1975 an awful amount of what they predicted has come to pass.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012