Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 05:19:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why at Wimbeldon do they  (Read 4603 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Why at Wimbeldon do they
« on July 10, 2017, 06:41:39 pm by selby »
Piss about with this game for a fortnight.They should know the last four(the men are nearly all the same for the last 6 years).
  They could play the semi finals in the morning and the final in the afternoon on a Thursday when nothing else happens,as long as it does not clash with the first few rounds of the Europa League.
  Just think how much it would save the B.B.C. in expenses stopping the free bees for the presenters, and how many poor strawberry pickers from Europe could stop at home saving their carbon footprint so we could drive our diesel cars more.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

balbyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Why at Wimbeldon do they
« Reply #1 on July 10, 2017, 06:48:10 pm by balbyrover »
It does seem to drag out a awful long time but i suppose the non football fans would say the same about the World Cup.

Its refreshing to see sports on daytime tv and whilst I'm not a massive tennis fan I would rather watch it over the likes of Bargain Hunt,Jeremy Kyle and The Chase etc.

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 10, 2017, 06:55:17 pm by George Carter »
Every sport drags on a bit and its only the same as the World cup,, rugby world cup, world snooker or wimbledon.   But the longer it lasts means they can drag it out and get more revenue from it.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 10, 2017, 07:02:41 pm by Hounslowrover »
And without the prize money for the other 124 players, there would only be four players who could afford to take part!  I think first round losers get €40000 or some such figure. 

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 10, 2017, 07:21:26 pm by George Carter »
Get nadal on bbc one now if you want to see why its not a closed shop,, Nadal's on the ropes and might get knocked out!!!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 10, 2017, 07:27:25 pm by NickDRFC »
One of the worst posts I've seen on here. 2 weeks for what for many is the highlight of the summer.

We are lucky that we are witnessing players of the quality of the big four. Your post is like saying they should scrap the Ballon D'or at the moment because only Ronaldo or Messi will win.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 10, 2017, 07:29:52 pm by selby »
George,I would love to,but I have to watch this door I painted this afternoon dry

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 10, 2017, 07:41:01 pm by selby »
Nick, it was reported in the Telegraph earlier this year, that a game lasting over thee hours on court in the American championship,only had 38mins of actual on court action.
     They must be bored to death,oh I nave to hit this ball over that net again,I know I will bounce it a dozen times before I hit it.
   When is it time for a sit down and a banana,you cant be serious.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 10, 2017, 08:23:50 pm by MrFrost »
Nadal and Muller have been on court for nearly five hours. They will have more stanima than most other sportsmen.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 10, 2017, 08:34:11 pm by GazLaz »
Nadal out.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 10, 2017, 09:03:14 pm by tommy toes »
It does seem to drag out a awful long time but i suppose the non football fans would say the same about the World Cup.

Its refreshing to see sports on daytime tv and whilst I'm not a massive tennis fan I would rather watch it over the likes of Bargain Hunt,Jeremy Kyle and The Chase etc.
I'm glad you didn't include the brilliant 'Homes under the Hammer'  in your attack on daytime TV. I cried when Lucy left but thank God Martin is still there, ably assisted by cheeky chappie Dion Dublin.  I'm not sure yet about the Irish girl who has replaced luscious Lucy but will watch transfixed for the next few months and let you know.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 10, 2017, 09:04:26 pm by balbyrover »
Nadal out.

Big shock there.  Fairplay to Muller as he played fantastic and under huge pressure at times!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 10, 2017, 09:04:49 pm by selby »
Apart from curling,it is the only sport the country cousins from Scotland are half decent at.
  Thats because ,like curling, nobody else in Britain plays the bloody game apart for a fortnight.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 10, 2017, 09:13:02 pm by balbyrover »
Apart from curling,it is the only sport the country cousins from Scotland are half decent at.
  Thats because ,like curling, nobody else in Britain plays the bloody game apart for a fortnight.

There's some talented darts players to come from Scotland. Gary Anderson,Robert Thornton etc.
And yes... I do regard darts as a sport.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 10, 2017, 09:56:33 pm by selby »
Thats only because the  pubs in England have shut or have become restaurants.
    The Scots are too tight to eat out,so still have a dart board hung in the bar.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2017, 09:58:47 pm by drfchound »
Someone once asked me how much money the winner of the Tour de France got in prize money.
When I told him he said "why do the others go in it".

Maybe the top six in the PL should just play against each other because no one else is ever going to win that.

I agree on the quality of the match between Muller and Nadal, top notch and Muller deserved to win.
I wonder if the OP included Nadal in the four that should be the only entrants.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 10, 2017, 10:01:19 pm by selby »
Nadal,never heard of him,is he a winger or a midfielder.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 10, 2017, 10:40:06 pm by NickDRFC »
Someone has got their fishing rod out tonight. Word of advice, if you don't want people to post about tennis then don't start a tennis related thread.

Or better yet give it a rest, your "jokes" are a bit past their selby date.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 10, 2017, 10:46:35 pm by selby »
Oh Nick,thank god someone has tumbled me,it was nearly as boring as tennis.
          Only joking of course.

It wasnt that bad.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 11, 2017, 09:13:11 am by drfchound »
Selby, when i posted about no one outside of the top six in the PL i was hoping that a certain poster was going to come on (with suitable links attached) to tell me that Leicester won it last season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 11, 2017, 11:41:41 am by selby »
Hound,and everyone else,felt a bit bored with things yesterday hope I didnt offend anyone,of course like most sport loving people I admire top participants, and realise the fitness levels required nowadays.
   I would not put tennis at the top of my watch list,but it would not do for everyone to be the same.
   The one thing I will say is that when the cricket is back on day time T.V. they dont give it to the BBC.I will never forgive them for cutting to the tennis, when Gooch was  about to break the test score record.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 11, 2017, 12:37:07 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Nadal,never heard of him,is he a winger or a midfielder.

Ultra tough central defender or centre-mid, the beast of Barcelona, but past his best these days............. :chair:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 11, 2017, 12:53:46 pm by drfchound »
Selby, thank goodness we are not all the same.
TBH i like watching the tennis, cricket and football when it is on terrestrial telly but for the life of me i can't get into watching the rugby or snooker or darts.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2017, 05:12:48 pm by RedJ »
BDO darts is shite. PDC isn't on terrestrial TV much if at all, much better standard and much better atmosphere.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 11, 2017, 06:07:57 pm by balbyrover »
BDO darts is shite. PDC isn't on terrestrial TV much if at all, much better standard and much better atmosphere.

PDC darts is brilliant.  Even better atmosphere in person.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 11, 2017, 07:16:10 pm by drfchound »
I have no idea what you two are on about.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 11, 2017, 07:22:35 pm by RedJ »
Darts. Two different bodies, PDC is the one with all the best players, BDO is its poor relation.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 11, 2017, 08:53:48 pm by balbyrover »
Darts. Two different bodies, PDC is the one with all the best players, BDO is its poor relation.

Yeah all the best players merge over to the PDC as thats where all the money and prestigious trophies are at. Many people write darts off as "boring" as it sounds it  on paper... but a good game of darts can be entertaining.

Try think of a sport where you can have no influence on your opponents game whatsoever... you can pressure them yes, but you both have three darts to throw at the same board.
Thats what makes it so great IMO

darren61

« Reply #28 on July 11, 2017, 09:05:09 pm by darren61 »
So PDC  paint their doors in beautiful tones, breathtaking in their wonder, the BDO paint theirs in battleship grey. Yawn, its still paint drying, very, very slowly.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 11, 2017, 09:16:10 pm by RedJ »
More like the difference between Scottish League Two and Premier League football.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012