Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:12:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The game tonight  (Read 6430 times)

selby

• VSC Member
The game tonight
« on August 08, 2017, 09:27:49 am by selby »
  A tough one to call this one,although Bradford got a win on Saturday,my friend who supports them does not think they are as strong as last season having lost a few players and have a lower budget.
  The main question is,will both sides make many changes from Saturday,I hope not.
  I suppose Marosie coming in could be one,but if Lawlor is No1 there is no real reason,and the Man City loan player for Blair with his unfortunate off the field problems could be one,but he may feel it better to play to take his mind off things.
  Myself,I would tend to keep the same team injuries allowing,but bring on one or two substitutions earlier than usual to intergrate in the team ,and give anyone who is blowing a rest
  This game is probably a better indication of our standing in this league and if we can be a team to be reckoned with this season,and with it being fairly local,and against a team who we have played a lot in the past should be a good game, 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Re: The game tonight
« Reply #1 on August 08, 2017, 09:34:21 am by godlike1 »
We need to earn our standing in this league again and so I want to see the strongest team put out again.

OK copps may not be up for this, but we need to keep the same team as much as possible as it really helped last season.

I do worry about our defence though so this will be an interresting test

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 08, 2017, 09:36:02 am by Donnywolf »
Manders reported as a bit of a doubt - but with the Cup Comps these days I always feel it is whichever Team does want to progress that gets through. A lot of the time both Teams seem - imo- to want out and that produces lots of draws

For me it would be great if Teams went for it and had a Cup run as it gives half of them more first Team game time and at this stage of the Season surely Teams long term priorities have not yet kicked in have they ?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 08, 2017, 09:49:26 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I can't see that there'll be a negative concern about winning. Most players would benefit from an extra few games at this stage, especially the defensive line, and if we do win at Bradford, there's always the option of putting out some of the fringe players for the next cup game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 08, 2017, 12:25:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, Fergie said why would players need rest? Then it appears Mandeville maybe a doubt with an injury problem already, and DFP hinting Copps could be 'rested'.

Certainly a game I'd want my best players involved in, even if not started.

Maybe tempted to give Rodders his full debut and have Copps on the bench. May in for Mandeville if necessary, otherwise keep it the same.

Not sure why Khemis wasn't on the bench Saturday but would expect to see him involved at some point.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 08, 2017, 12:36:40 pm by wing commander »
 Was wondering about Khemis wonder if its anything to do with international clearance,weve come up against that before...I would want to play our strongest team and try and get through...Although I can understand resting Coppinger as 3 games a week is probably too much at his age..If Williams is fit I would play him if Mandy is struggling,Alternatively its May...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 08, 2017, 12:41:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Was wondering about Khemis wonder if its anything to do with international clearance,weve come up against that before...I would want to play our strongest team and try and get through...Although I can understand resting Coppinger as 3 games a week is probably too much at his age..If Williams is fit I would play him if Mandy is struggling,Alternatively its May...

Could be right about Khemis. Williams is still struggling with hamstring I think think.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 08, 2017, 12:57:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Khemis is awaiting international clearance, or was for the weekend anyway.

Fergie said he won't be resting players. Mandeville got a slight injury in the game on Saturday, would be silly to risk him, and we know that Coppinger due to his age has his game time managed now. He played 90 minutes on Saturday, I doubt he'll play tonight especially as he got a bit of a dead leg in that game apparently. Need him as fresh as can be for the Blackburn game. Otherwise I'd expect the side to remain largely unchanged from the Gillingham match.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 08, 2017, 12:58:18 pm by craigdrfc »
Big test tonight, assuming they put a strong team out, and a real 'marker' as to finding out what we are at this level.

Bradford away is one of those fixtures in League 1 that will really check you out.

I hope, and think, Fergie will go with the best that he has got avilable to him, and will fancy a cup run if its on offer.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 08, 2017, 05:05:36 pm by keith79 »
a good cup run would give us the chance to get a good player in.a great cup run would get us messi. imo ;-)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 08, 2017, 05:46:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd take it simply as a cup tie. No pressure. A chance to pitch ourselves against a team who are more fancied than we are. Play with freedom as the underdog, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In these wet conditions, would like to see Whiteman, Andrew and others shooting from prime positions and make their keeper the busiest on the pitch.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2017, 06:56:10 pm by Dare to dream! »
I think we are good value @4.2/1

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 08, 2017, 09:47:30 pm by Dare to dream! »
I think we are good value @4.2/1

f**k sake

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2017, 09:50:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Great result. May, Kongolo and Whiteman. 12 months ago, we'd never heard of them!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2017, 09:53:36 pm by drfchound »
If Whiteman carries on like this I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blunts take him back in January.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2017, 09:56:14 pm by dknward2 »
If Whiteman carries on like this I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blunts take him back in January.

Fingers crossed we try and sign him if in the right position hopefully Sheffield united will be a position to not need him back

darren61

« Reply #16 on August 08, 2017, 09:58:52 pm by darren61 »

Fingers crossed we try and sign him if in the right position hopefully Sheffield united will be a position to not need him back

You never know?  He would be a class signing for us.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2017, 09:59:19 pm by chrisd_123 »
The impressive thing about tonight was that, without Copps, we've won away at a team who are up their with the favourites to go up, great in the cup recently and as far as I'm aware, hadn't lost at home in 2017.

Positives all round tonight. Sounded like Alfie May stood up to the task tonight and is maybe beginning to show what he can do.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2017, 09:59:44 pm by mushRTID »
No chance of signing him, they rate him very highly my colleague warned me before we announced him.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2017, 10:11:34 pm by Jonathan »
I hear both Alfies did very well tonight with May outstanding throughout and Beestin impressive from the bench.

Sounds like lots of positives to take from the game.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2017, 10:15:44 pm by GazLaz »
May was ok, more effort than quality. Beestin looked very comfortable when he came on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2017, 10:20:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
GazLaz, thanks for a bit of honest perspective. Those of us at home without much to go on, could get a bit carried away with the result.

It's certainly a very positive start though.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2017, 10:23:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
Unbeaten in 2!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 08, 2017, 10:31:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
THE positive is we seem am exciting team. After a few years of boring football Ferguson has us an exciting team to watch. That works for me.  Frustrating that you always think we'll concede but equally always think we'll score.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 08, 2017, 10:34:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
If we re-enforce the back line, who knows where we could finish. The bench was very weak tonight, but thankfully the youth players were not needed. A few injuries tonight as well, hope everyone is ok.

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 08, 2017, 11:01:06 pm by Brian Young »
Good game and easy to watch , with a bit more composure in from of goal from Afie and Roe it would have been a stroll. Heart in mouth when Alfie got clattered and sending off was right decision, but over all a good nights work .

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 08, 2017, 11:21:37 pm by johnny rovers »
Just got back

More composure needed from Marquis too. Again he frustrated me at times tonight with holding on to the ball to long and trying to dribble past to many players without a thought of passing... but he did his bit along with the rest of the team.

Alfie may put in a great shift and was there to poke the ball over the line for the first goal. He's becoming the new gregg blundell.

Whiteman was excellent, he's got a bit of everything. He's a box to box player for me so I see no reason why houghton wouldn't fit into the team

Rodney...still quite raw but you can tell he just lovers playing football. You worry about signing young starlets from premier leagues top teams on loan, whether they are going to graft and act like pre madonnas. Not the case, keep up the good work.

Beestin looks a very good talent, hope he starts to get more game time in the busy first few months of the season!

Well done Ferguson for shaking off the ever so slightly disappointing end to last season. We look a much better team already!!

RTID
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:24:46 pm by johnny rovers »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 08, 2017, 11:41:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just based on the Sky highlights, we look very lively in very damp conditions. Their first was a blinder and their second dropped kindly.

Was said that Rowe should have squared for the chance in second half, but I think he may have been trying to set up Marquis.

Good reactions from Alfie and didn't Rodney look pleased with his goal. Whiteman is getting better each time I see him and it appears on early showings, we're lucky that Blades think he needs further development!

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2017, 06:54:35 am by balbyrover »
Just seen the highlights on sky too.
Great finish from Whiteman for the winner,Kongolo looks lively,it just didn't drop for Marquis by the looks, could've scored more but im happy with a 3-2 win at a good sides ground too! Into the next round.
When's the draw?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2017, 07:01:02 am by Rovers91 »

You never know?  He would be a class signing for us.

Not got a prayer of getting him on a permo, he will be in Sheff Utd first team next season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012