Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:20:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Anyone going to the Scunny game?  (Read 3184 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
Anyone going to the Scunny game?
« on October 30, 2017, 11:17:01 pm by anne honemous »
I know the Checkered Tray Trophy is not everyone's favourite cup competition, but who is actually going along to the game tomorrow night?

I'll be there with it being cheap to see us hopefully win the group.

I hope I won't be on my own but I think this could be our lowest ever first team home attendance at the Keepmoat!

:rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

eastender

• VSC Member
Re: Anyone going to the Scunny game?
« Reply #1 on October 30, 2017, 11:55:06 pm by eastender »
4 of us  :scarf: :scarf:

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 31, 2017, 08:37:57 am by the vicar »
2 of us

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 31, 2017, 08:48:27 am by The Red Baron »
I won't be there. Can't justify a 200-mile round trip for what is a glorified reserve match. If I lived in Donny I'd no doubt feel differently.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 31, 2017, 09:31:56 am by nortikorner »
4 of us

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 31, 2017, 09:49:24 am by glosterred »
3 of us

COYR

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 31, 2017, 07:17:15 pm by German Rover »
Every single one of you who goes through the turnstile will be supporting the idea that some clubs are more important than others.

Would our day out at Cardiff been as special if we were playing Fulham reserves? I doubt it.

The EFL said the competition would help bring on young English talent in the u23 teams letting them play against first team players from the lower divisions, last year shay given played in the tournament.

As you've probably guessed I'll be giving it a miss!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 31, 2017, 07:21:09 pm by drfchound »
Agreed on some points GR.
If the teams like us put out “men’s teams” maybe it would work for the U23 lads.
However, we also play the kids in our team so in general nothing much changes for the U23 players.
Also, many of the U23 clubs players are not qualified to play for England so it won’t help the National teams much either.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 01, 2017, 09:34:31 am by ravenrover »
Every single one of you who goes through the turnstile will be supporting the idea that some clubs are more important than others.

Would our day out at Cardiff been as special if we were playing Fulham reserves? I doubt it.

The EFL said the competition would help bring on young English talent in the u23 teams letting them play against first team players from the lower divisions, last year shay given played in the tournament.

As you've probably guessed I'll be giving it a miss!
your choice GR just as mine is to go and support our youngsters who once again played very well. If 1 or 2 progress we will have some very good future talent

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 01, 2017, 02:17:42 pm by glosterred »
I support Doncaster Rovers, when I go through the turnstile I support Doncaster Rovers not the completion, whether it is the FA Cup, the league or the competition last night, it’s Doncaster Rovers and nothing else.

COYR

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 01, 2017, 02:35:59 pm by drfc1951 »
Well said.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 01, 2017, 03:04:34 pm by RoversAlias »
Yes glosterred and if you want to continue being able to do that in a competitive league not corrupted by the elites any further then supporting this competition is not the way to go about it.

This has been debated to death before, and I won't personally criticise those who do go to these games as they just want to support Rovers and our youngsters, but I won't go anywhere near the Checkatrade games or even acknowledge their existence outside a forum discussion because what they've done to the tournament flies in the face of the importance and existence of the lower leagues and the clubs that make it what it is.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 02, 2017, 08:44:40 am by glosterred »
What seems to be forgotten is that a bum on a seat at these games that the Rovers have to play in, as they have no choice, help to finance the Rovers to pay its bills and improve the squad and not have us relying on “benefactors” to pay the bills for us. I personally don’t like the set up of this competition but it is one that the Rovers have no choice in of participating and whilst they are playing in it I will attend when I can to support the Rovers and not the competition.

And as DF has said in the past it does help the squad and youth team players development which can only be good for our team.

COYR

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 02, 2017, 09:01:18 am by hoolahoop »
Yes glosterred and if you want to continue being able to do that in a competitive league not corrupted by the elites any further then supporting this competition is not the way to go about it.

This has been debated to death before, and I won't personally criticise those who do go to these games as they just want to support Rovers and our youngsters, but I won't go anywhere near the Checkatrade games or even acknowledge their existence outside a forum discussion because what they've done to the tournament flies in the face of the importance and existence of the lower leagues and the clubs that make it what it is.

I couldn't agree more - please supporters leave these games out of your personal fixture lists . They  have bolloxed the Competition up and have allowed the smaller clubs to be used as cannon fodder by the big boys

FFS boycott these games .......please !

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 02, 2017, 09:22:38 am by silent majority »

I couldn't agree more - please supporters leave these games out of your personal fixture lists . They  have bolloxed the Competition up and have allowed the smaller clubs to be used as cannon fodder by the big boys

Judging by the results Hoola I would suggest its the other way around, the big boys have become the cannon fodder.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 02, 2017, 09:35:41 am by anne honemous »
People telling others what to do regarding these games make me laugh.

If people want to boycott, that's fine and totally their decision. But the same also applies to people that want to go along and support their team.

There's no right or wrong answer.

Personally, I'd prefer it if it was still a straight knockout competition, but at least the format now gives our own younger players the chance to compete in a game which is slightly more competitive than U21s or reserve football.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 02, 2017, 10:30:28 am by drfc1951 »

No i will go to whatever game i want.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 02, 2017, 10:41:55 am by ravenrover »
 :that:

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 02, 2017, 01:03:59 pm by Draytonian III »
I didn't go, but I paid for a ticket via cup direct

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 02, 2017, 01:19:16 pm by glosterred »

No I won’t, I’ll do as I please

COYR

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 02, 2017, 03:34:56 pm by German Rover »

No I won’t, I’ll do as I please

COYR

And there in lies the problem. To get any meaningful change in the fans experience in football we need to stick together. However football is far to tribal in this country, hence teams getting away with extortionate ticket prices, the police get away treating fans like cattle and criminals.  The checkatrade is just the tip of a very big iceberg.

By the way I'm not attacking you personally. It's your choice to go to the game and my opinion you're wrong to.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 02, 2017, 04:28:10 pm by IDM »
I think that the low attendances for the checkatrade trophy show that the competition isn't very popular, and that this perception can show the groundswell of antipathy many fans feel about it.

However that should not hold anything against those individual supporters who do choose to watch the games, and supporting the team.  I don't think individuals should be criticised for going - there are plenty of others voting with their feet to prove their point.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 02, 2017, 04:33:16 pm by silent majority »
Having discussed this with the EFL on at least two occasions its obvious that they are desperate to turn this competition into something that will capture the imagination, prove worthwhile and create demand, all the while stopping it falling flat on its arse which is what was happening prior to the changes.

I'm sure they would be prepared to listen to anybody who has the answer to a failing competition. So far nobody has suggested anything that comes anywhere near it.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 02, 2017, 07:48:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
Why not just make it an u23 competition?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012