Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:46:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tom Anderson challenge  (Read 8231 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Tom Anderson challenge
« Reply #30 on February 10, 2018, 07:31:42 pm by RoversAlias »
We have not played like that all season at all, today was particularly tepid and devoid of ingenuity. Not fair to say we play like that regularly because we don't at all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 10, 2018, 07:34:16 pm by drfchound »
We have not played like that all season at all, today was particularly tepid and devoid of ingenuity. Not fair to say we play like that regularly because we don't at all.

It reminded me of the Walsall game, a very similar display.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 10, 2018, 07:35:22 pm by Cramby10 »
It's the blokes second game in a a new environmemt.if your make  that judgement now  it's either without  football knowledge or just a moan.
that aimed at me flower? If it is, nowhere does my post criticise the bloke.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 10, 2018, 07:41:34 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought he was average. Goal his fault but he improved second half.  Liked Boyle though he played well.

boozehound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 10, 2018, 07:44:47 pm by boozehound »
I believe you compared to Morley who was decent enough although a scapegoat

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 10, 2018, 07:49:48 pm by Jonathan »
Morley was a fine footballer but too often he over complicated things making him a poor defender. Anderson is a defender and for the large part he did his job without fuss. 

He got caught under the flight of the ball for the goal and messed up, reading his interview comments he knows that. He showed character by making up for that as the game went on. Fair play to him for that. He did alright.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 10, 2018, 08:02:36 pm by Lesonthewest »
Just to reiterate in my opinion we have played like that regularly all season, especially in the first half of games.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 10, 2018, 08:11:01 pm by The Red Baron »
I said about five minutes from the end that it is the worst I've seen us play. The second half v Walsall was probably worse but we hadn't been bad first half. This was just awful.

We nicked a point and it felt like a win. Even more so because it was against that mouthy t**t Robinson. They are a typical Robinson side- just like Franchise a few years ago. Spoiling tactics, time wasting and players with some serious balance issues. But it was scarcely deserved and we'll have to play better to get anything on Tuesday.

Not sure if McCullough is match fit enough to go the distance but if he is he'd be one of first names on the team sheet for Tuesday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 10, 2018, 08:12:15 pm by drfchound »
Just to reiterate in my opinion we have played like that regularly all season, especially in the first half of games.

Usually the side is rearranged at half time to put players into positions they should have been in at the start of the game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 10, 2018, 08:16:16 pm by Donnywolf »
We were poor today, deserved nothing at all, yet somehow managed to grab a point. Charlton were gutted. Total injustice. Kinda reminded me of a game a few years back when we robbed due to a game been called off when we were 3-1 up.

Karma eh.

... and the game v Brentfod at home in "Crossbar" Season where they were laid all over the pitch after thrashing us and losing 2-1 (Highway robbery - but hey ho who cares)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 10, 2018, 08:21:28 pm by drfchound »
Back on subject, it will be interesting  to see the highlights because leading up to the Anderson goal saving challenge, I thought their player got a touch to the ball as Blair attempted to pass back to Lawlor.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 10, 2018, 08:42:36 pm by Cramby10 »
I believe you compared to Morley who was decent enough although a scapegoat
nope. I just said all I could think of
was Dave Morley whilst watching him. It’s not a judgement it’s an appearance thing.
He’s tall, gangly, moves like him and possibly prone to a mishap.
I didn’t actually give my opinion on Dave Morley either!!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 10, 2018, 08:52:39 pm by Donnywolf »
Back on subject, it will be interesting  to see the highlights because leading up to the Anderson goal saving challenge, I thought their player got a touch to the ball as Blair attempted to pass back to Lawlor.

He did and killed the ball nearly "dead" BUT after the kid went round our Keeper LawlOr the block was incredible and I said - THAT could be the moment the game changed. If we get a Point it will be more or less down to that few seconds

Glad to be proved right (for once)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 10, 2018, 09:37:20 pm by Pancho Regan »
We played poorly today but in fairness to DF he knows that and he didn’t shirk from admitting so in his post-match interview.

But it was sweet to nick a point in injury time after Charlton had spent so long wasting time. And we’ve cruelly dropped points by conceding late goals earlier this season, so it’s about time we got lucky.

As for the criticism of Blair, I disagree totally.
Yes, a couple of his passes went astray but who doesn’t make mistakes? He never hid, never stopped working, never stopped trying to get forward, and ultimately was in the right place to score the equaliser.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 10, 2018, 09:47:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Blair was very poor defensively today. He committed himself and was passed by the winger 6-7 times. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to hold position and jockey the winger in a safe direction.

But fair play to the lad. He came up trumps at the end.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 10, 2018, 10:05:32 pm by Pancho Regan »
He’s not a full back BST.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 10, 2018, 10:15:02 pm by Jonathan »
On the Anderson topic, I’ve come away quite happy with a lot of what I saw. Granted he’s tall and ungainly, but he plays like he cares and I like that. Looked gutted when they scored and held his hands up to it. He’s never going to be one for bringing the ball out but looked a decent honest defender. The way he got back to make that challenge showed he’ll run through the proverbial brick wall and I hope he does well here.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 10, 2018, 10:17:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I agree. Not in the old fashioned sense anyway. The modern game of course demands that a full back spend as much time overlapping down the wing as defending. Glen Johnson played 50 odd times for Rngland without ever once showing more than a vague semblance of the ability to defend.

It’s obvious that Ferguson’s pre-season preference was for a central 3 at the back with Blair as a wing back. His defensive shortcomings wouldn’t be as exposed then.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 10, 2018, 11:41:20 pm by pib »
Thought Anderson got better as the game went on. Looked dodgy to start and he certainly isn't a ball-playing defender so I hope Ferguson doesn't insist we tap it around at the back with him playing, because he'll undoubtedly get caught out. He looks really gangly and awkward which probably doesn't help him impress at first.

Boyle - wasn't that impressed today. Looks OK on the ball but I didn't think he looked very dominant defensively and didn't seem to win much in the air. Hopefully when he settles in he'll be more assertive.

Blair - some harsh critics of him I think. OK sometimes he lacks quality but I think when he's on his A game his crossing is better than most in our squad. Also can't fault his hard work. He's not a right back and it's clear as day he's a square peg in a round hole there so I'm not sure why DF has persisted with picking him there on-and-off for over a year now.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 10, 2018, 11:54:59 pm by silent majority »
Wasn't Blair's back pass that caused it, it was Alex poor needless pass towards but not to Blair that started it all
Lund,until getting injured last season, was one of our best defenders  at the start of last season playing right back. Its a funny old game.

But he was not the quality we need to progress in year 3 of a 5 year plan. We as supporters are accepting second rate players instead of the club going the extra mile and getting players we need.

How many extra miles do you think the club should go then Steve? 4, 5, 6?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 10, 2018, 11:58:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
2,4,6,8 motorway.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 11, 2018, 07:31:43 am by Alan Southstand »

I read extra 'mile', I.e. Singular, as in 1!

What is the answer then?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 11, 2018, 07:59:20 am by Donnywolf »
Tremendous block - and all credit to him

Credit Lawlor too for "forcing" the kid wide / slowing him up / whatever he did

I said at the time its "big moments" like that that may change a game and in this case it DID. 2-0 down more than likely game over - but wonder block allowed a late late and mostly unjust 1-1 but hey ho (cliche alert) what goes around comes around and we were still in there trying and proved it !

:scarf:

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 11, 2018, 08:28:49 am by Cramby10 »
Blair was very poor defensively today. He committed himself and was passed by the winger 6-7 times. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to hold position and jockey the winger in a safe direction.

in fairness to Blair that winger was on fire today. He roasted everyone he took on. Hands down the best player I have seen this season, regardless of his miss. Couple that with the link up with their number 22, who was also excellent, Blair had no chance as he had little or no cover in front of him.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 11, 2018, 08:36:40 am by Bezza »
their no 22 the left wing back was class ,on loan from Chelsea and if they hadn`t substituted him at the end i dont think we would have scored,

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 11, 2018, 08:40:56 am by Donnywolf »

in fairness to Blair that winger was on fire today. He roasted everyone he took on. Hands down the best player I have seen this season, regardless of his miss. Couple that with the link up with their number 22, who was also excellent, Blair had no chance as he had little or no cover in front of him.

He was really on fire - fast tricky direct. Never stopped running and pressurising our defence.

Thank goodness we blocked his last effort and I bet he even learnt from that.

As you say one of the best we have seen at KMS this Season (deffo worth a punt  :lol:)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 11, 2018, 09:37:54 am by The Red Baron »
I saw a few Charlton fans on Twitter who were fuming because DaSilva had been taken off and because the chap who replaced him played Blair onside for the goal.

I found it a rather delicious irony that they conceded as a result of Robinson's attempts to waste time.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 11, 2018, 09:46:29 am by steve@dcfd »
Wasn't Blair's back pass that caused it, it was Alex poor needless pass towards but not to Blair that started it all
Lund,until getting injured last season, was one of our best defenders  at the start of last season playing right back. Its a funny old game.

But he was not the quality we need to progress in year 3 of a 5 year plan. We as supporters are accepting second rate players instead of the club going the extra mile and getting players we need.

It’s up to the club how far they want to go, they have set the goal on Championship football. The teams that achieved that last year had a bigger budget than we have? Comparing it to the last time we were in League 1. We need better players to achieve the goal. So far this season the board have backed the manager hence the Anderson and Boyle loans plus others.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 11, 2018, 09:48:58 am by Donnywolf »
I saw a few Charlton fans on Twitter who were fuming because DaSilva had been taken off and because the chap who replaced him played Blair onside for the goal.

I found it a rather delicious irony that they conceded as a result of Robinson's attempts to waste time.

Yes especially the Keeper who took the "mandatory" age to take every Goal Kick.

The Ref warned him and then watched as a Ball Boy threw the ball to the Keeper who despite being on 2 or 3 k a week totally failed to catch the Ball or even get a hand to it and so it rolled (passed by a slug and two tortoises out for a stroll) 10 yards past him - thus wasting more time

The Ref ? Watched it all and did nowt. At least he did finally book the g*t. 

Later the Ref went to a Sub to usher him off and he then did the applaud everyone in the ground before doubling back to shake hands with a Team mate

The Ref ? Watched it all and did nowt

So I was chuffed to death to see them concede a late goal - serves them right

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 11, 2018, 10:13:36 am by RedJ »

It’s up to the club how far they want to go, they have set the goal on Championship football. The teams that achieved that last year had a bigger budget than we have? Comparing it to the last time we were in League 1. We need better players to achieve the goal. So far this season the board have backed the manager hence the Anderson and Boyle loans plus others.

This was always going to be a consolidation season and you're deluded if you genuinely thought we'd go for two promotions on the bounce.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012