Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:16:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tom Anderson challenge  (Read 8220 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Tom Anderson challenge
« on February 10, 2018, 05:49:33 pm by Branton Rover »
Got us a point today with a wonderful goal saving tackle and earned us a point we didn’t deserve - however that said Charlton fans have got to be dumbfounded how they didn’t win the game.

It’s a funny old game - today is definitely a point gained - so many of our lads had poor day at the office, hopefully won’t be that bad again this season.

A footnote Anderson & Boyle improved the longer the game went - glaringly obvious though we need proper full backs for next season

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Tom Anderson challenge
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2018, 05:51:11 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Got us a point today with a wonderful goal saving tackle and earned us a point we didn’t deserve - however that said Charlton fans have got to be dumbfounded how they didn’t win the game.

It’s a funny old game - today is definitely a point gained - so many of our lads had poor day at the office, hopefully won’t be that bad again this season.

A footnote Anderson & Boyle improved the longer the game went - glaringly obvious though we need proper full backs for next season

We've got Andrew and Garratt on the left (not sure why Garratt doesn't play?). We do need a proper one on the right though, I do rate Mason out there, although he's not been amazing recently.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2018, 05:52:43 pm by mushRTID »
I thought we were awful. As the last ten minutes were ticking away I was fuming we had barely had a go. Massive stroke of luck with the goal (deflection) but at least we hung in there, we’d have lost that a few months back.

The TA challenge felt like a goal, what a tackle!

One to forget apart from the last 2 minutes.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2018, 05:53:58 pm by keith79 »
We have not had a proper full back since Tommy spurr

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2018, 05:54:38 pm by Donnybax »

We've got Andrew and Garratt on the left (not sure why Garratt doesn't play?). We do need a proper one on the right though, I do rate Mason out there, although he's not been amazing recently.
. Because garratt is horrendous

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2018, 05:56:10 pm by Prez »
We were poor today, deserved nothing at all, yet somehow managed to grab a point. Charlton were gutted. Total injustice. Kinda reminded me of a game a few years back when we robbed due to a game been called off when we were 3-1 up.

Karma eh.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 10, 2018, 05:56:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Depends what you mean by "proper full back".

If you mean someone who can play in a traditional full back role, then we have some of those.

Bigger issue is that our manager plays with a system where we do not play with traditional full backs. They are expected to attack as much as defend and in the 3/5 at back, they are as much wingers as full backs.

So, for the set up our manager favours, in Rowe and Blair you probably have the players he wants to play there. Madness or genius you can decide, but we are not under this manager going to have your traditional full back being a regular in this side.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 10, 2018, 05:57:06 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Sorry but I fear for us if that’s our 2 centre backs until when ever. They should have had 5 or 6 today.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2018, 05:58:56 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Sorry but I fear for us if that’s our 2 centre backs until when ever. They should have had 5 or 6 today.

Baudry back next weekend, and of course Luke can also play there.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 10, 2018, 06:01:26 pm by the vicar »
We should of been 3 down at half time

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 10, 2018, 06:01:35 pm by mushRTID »

They were steady enough, it was the rest of the side who were poor.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2018, 06:06:07 pm by RoversAlias »
Their time-wasting and general lack of killer instinct cost them dearly today, they should have been out of sight by the time Blair equalised because we were totally benign for 93 minutes but they didn't really try after going 1-0 up, and the time-wasting from the minute the second half started was pathetic. They got what they deserved in that respect, but were well organised and had some skilful players. They stunted our game plan right away and we never tried to find another way through.

We will need to play much better on Tuesday night but all credit to them for snatching an undeserved point. Anderson made up for costing us the goal by saving a certain second, and Blair made up for a pretty bad performance by committing well and heading in that equaliser. Satisfactory day at the office for Rovers in the end.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2018, 06:13:37 pm by adamtherover »

Steady?  Every time lawler played it out to Anderson,  he paniced, and played it back or lumped it anywhere, despite mason being on his right hand side...   awful distribution, 6 foot 4, and gets outjumped, his last gasp save redeems him slightly, but if hes a regulat CH, we are gonna struggle..

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 10, 2018, 06:15:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
Blair got a lucky reprieve with the ball falling to him like that. He also got lucky that his terrible 'pass' back didn't result in a goal.

He needs to be told quite heavily by Ferguson his game isn't good enough at the moment. While our fans might love a player who endlessly runs up and down; for the most part its aimless and his distribution with the ball is nigh on terrible. Even Copps turned around in exacerbation to him late on in the game with his hands up. I've only ever seen Copps do that to one player before and that was Mustapha Dumbuya, another player who ran up and down aimlessly but had very little else to his game.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 10, 2018, 06:15:43 pm by Branton Rover »
The last proper full back pairing we had Quinn & Spurr - how long ago was that !!

Most people’s definition of a proper fullback is a player who can defend and stop balls being delivered into our box and can get forward to deliver our own crosses into their area, tackle and not nesh - basically Roberts & O’Connor combo

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 10, 2018, 06:16:09 pm by mushRTID »

Steady?  Every time lawler played it out to Anderson,  he paniced, and played it back or lumped it anywhere, despite mason being on his right hand side...   awful distribution, 6 foot 4, and gets outjumped, his last gasp save redeems him slightly, but if hes a regulat CH, we are gonna struggle..

Yes steady. I didn’t say he played well did I? But he certainly wasn’t terrible. Steady he was.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 10, 2018, 06:17:02 pm by RedJ »
Blair got a lucky reprieve with the ball falling to him like that. He also got lucky that his terrible 'pass' back didn't result in a goal.

He needs to be told quite heavily by Ferguson his game isn't good enough at the moment. While our fans might love a player who endlessly runs up and down; for the most part its aimless and his distribution with the ball is nigh on terrible. Even Copps turned around in exacerbation to him late on in the game with his hands up. I've only ever seen Copps do that to one player before and that was Mustapha Dumbuya, another player who ran up and down aimlessly but had very little else to his game.

The fact that he isn't a full back, and is being played as a full back, is probably not helping matters.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 10, 2018, 06:17:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
Never mind Anderson, what about the rest? Bloody awful midfield.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 10, 2018, 06:19:56 pm by Copps is Magic »

The fact that he isn't a full back, and is being played as a full back, is probably not helping matters.

That might be the case (to be honest, I don't know what is his position? In my team it wouldn't be one on the pitch) but it doesn't excuse some of his (just plain lazy) distribution.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 10, 2018, 06:25:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Blairs crosses are aimless most of the time. Reminded me of Evina who pretty much closed his eyes and looked away before crossing. Hate seeing players just hit and hope.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 10, 2018, 06:26:22 pm by Donnybax »
Our fans love Blair because he runs about. But he has very little quality.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 10, 2018, 06:27:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
Tom Anderson challenge was good. It’s not fair to pick onthe centre backs really the rest of the side we’re not good enough.

We need a quality right back who can defend get up and put crosses in. Garrett is not good enough to be second string so he should not be here next season. We will have Andrew and hopefully Amos will be able to cover him. If not we need another player who can play left back or left midfield
We need a left sided midfield player to add to Tommy Rowe. Could be the player above. That’s just the start.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 10, 2018, 06:31:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I didn't realise Garratt was 21! Thought he was still only 19ish.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 10, 2018, 06:32:29 pm by dknward2 »
Wasn't Blair's back pass that caused it, it was Alex poor needless pass towards but not to Blair that started it all

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 10, 2018, 06:36:32 pm by selby »
Wasn't Blair's back pass that caused it, it was Alex poor needless pass towards but not to Blair that started it all
Lund,until getting injured last season, was one of our best defenders  at the start of last season playing right back. Its a funny old game.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 10, 2018, 06:40:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
Lund,until getting injured last season, was one of our best defenders  at the start of last season playing right back. Its a funny old game.

But he was not the quality we need to progress in year 3 of a 5 year plan. We as supporters are accepting second rate players instead of the club going the extra mile and getting players we need.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 10, 2018, 06:43:53 pm by Copps is Magic »

Sorry mate, just not true that. There's a video of the incident going round on the facebook group. Clearly shows he had enough time to do something (anything) with the ball.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 10, 2018, 07:10:49 pm by Lesonthewest »
Sorry but that was absolute garbage today & I don't agree with it being a bad day at the office, we have been like that at home most of the season, especially first half, slow ponderous build up play, lack of urgency, poor passing, tip tapping about at the back putting teammates under pressure, then lumping it forward straight to their defenders, awful football. The goal, set piece again, was a joke, should never got his header away, & even then should have been saved. Thought at half time never mind we will have a go second half as we normally do, not a chance was sat there bored stiff. Don't feel sorry for Charlton, took the foot off the gas when they knew we had nothing, should have gone for the jugular. Marquis & Beeston were the only positives for me today, we really need to start creating chances for our strikers.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 10, 2018, 07:12:33 pm by Cramby10 »
It’s the first time I’ve seen Anderson play today so will give him a fair crack and not make judgement yet. But in the same breath I have to say whilst watching him all I could think of was dangerous Dave Morley! Sorry Tom lad.

boozehound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 10, 2018, 07:25:04 pm by boozehound »
It's the blokes second game in a a new environmemt.if your make  that judgement now  it's either without  football knowledge or just a moan.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012