Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:19:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rotherham Away (pubs)  (Read 6676 times)

karldew

• Forum Member
Rotherham Away (pubs)
« on February 11, 2018, 08:20:55 pm by karldew »
Anyone know the pub/s we will be allowed to go in or are fans drinking in Donny and getting a later train?..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Rotherham Away (pubs)
« Reply #1 on February 11, 2018, 08:39:07 pm by Donnywolf »
I have copied this from a Football Ground Guide

There are a number of pubs in the nearby town centre, which are only a few minutes walk from the stadium. These include three Wetherspoon pubs. One of these; the Bluecoat (on the Crofts) is also CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed, whilst closer to the railway station is the Rhinoceros. These pubs though tend to have more a home feel about them. A better bet may be the Bridge Inn, which is located quite close to the railway station (turn right out of the station and the pub is across the road on the left). This pub which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide serves beers from the Old Mill Brewery as well as guest beers and a real cider. This pub was welcoming towards away fans on my visit and it wasn't too bad to get served inside.

Colin Hall a visiting Leicester City fan adds; 'We discovered the Cutlers Arms on Westgate (turn right off the Main Street), which turned out to be a most welcoming and hospitable tavern. It had a mixture of home and away fans and sold beers from the local Chantry’s brewery'. Also nearby along Westgate is the New York Tavern, which also serves Chantry's beers.

Alcohol is also available inside the stadium in the form of: Fosters and John Smiths (Both £3.40 a pint), Bulmers (£3.20 a bottle), plus Red, White and Rose wines (£4 small bottle).

=========================================================

So I was going to say The Bridge Inn (Old Mill Brewery) right next to the Station and any Pub with Chantry Brewery Beers particularly the New York Tavern which is their Brewery Tap and is full of Millers stuff - but perhaps that may be Home fans only

The Corn Law is worth a look as well - used to be a 'Spoons but has changed hands

Here are the Camra Real Ale pubs though you can change it to "non real ales" as well

https://whatpub.com/search?q=ROTHERHAM+CENTRAL+STATION&lat=53.432201385498&lng=-1.3604999780655&r=10&t=s&p=1&features=Pub%2COpen%2CRealAle
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:41:24 pm by Donnywolf »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 11, 2018, 09:18:51 pm by the vicar »
Go drinking in Rotherham on a derby match day and stand the consequences as there WILL be trouble there always is

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 11, 2018, 09:26:08 pm by podrover73 »
Going to Sheffield by train for some cheeky halfs then dropping back to Rotherham for the game

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 11, 2018, 09:47:46 pm by the vicar »
Safest bet I would think or drink in Donny then straight to the football

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 11, 2018, 09:56:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
If the police enforce the same policy as they did for the Rotherham fans then any pub in Rotherham or anywhere in town.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2018, 11:33:36 pm by Albert Trousers »
I’ve heard that the Bridge Inn next to the station is Donny fans only & Rovers fans won’t be allowed in anywhere else.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 12, 2018, 12:36:47 am by 1879Rovers »
You have no chance in the main two pubs in the town centre having been to a Rotherham v sheff Wed game if you are an away fan. Ok if there are just a couple of you going in and not wearing anything Rovers. They have bouncers on the door asking so definitely don’t try to get in a group. There is one designated pub for away fans - The Bridge Inn just outside the station. Police usually try and herd everyone in there, so again if you want to go elsewhere, stay out of groups.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2018, 11:25:29 pm by Donnyjim »
Judging by the whippet owning Rovrum fans on DeeDar FM, all the boozers will look like something out of Peaky Blinders - outside toilets and beer from a bucket lol
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:27:58 pm by Donnyjim »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2018, 07:49:34 pm by Donnywolf »
I’ve heard that the Bridge Inn next to the station is Donny fans only & Rovers fans won’t be allowed in anywhere else.

I have got in many a Pub - just wear no Colours.

Tell them I am only there for the Beer and that can work too especially when you have a bright red nose.

Personally New York Tavern would be my dream Pub but that IS the home of The Millers so they may only let people in who show them a Match Ticket - and of course mine would be the wrong kind of Ticket

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2018, 07:58:27 pm by the vicar »
I doubt the police will let Rovers fans go running around Rotherham looking for a pub on a match day

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2018, 08:00:53 pm by Filo »
I doubt the police will let Rovers fans go running around Rotherham looking for a pub on a match day

Same Police force let Rotherham fans run around Donny on a match day

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2018, 08:23:53 pm by Friendly Miller »
I dont think you'll have any problem getting into the pubs listed.

We've had Wednesday, Blades and Barnsley, Derby, Forest, Newcastle all selling out the away end over the last couple of seasons and they were all welcome in the local pubs.

There's always going to be someone in the wrong place at the wrong time, but on the whole if you're not looking for trouble you'll not find it.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2018, 08:40:16 pm by the vicar »
Donny cops are as thick as shit though

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2018, 09:00:51 pm by Filo »
Donny cops are as thick as shit though

Same Police force SYP, you din't think al the cops at Rovers games are from Donny do you?

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 20, 2018, 05:49:14 pm by Albert Trousers »
Be aware, many of the pubs have bouncers who check match tickets to stop away fans getting in.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 21, 2018, 12:44:20 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
Matty Banks whether you know him or not runs a Facebook group "Real Ale Pubs Away Days" and a Twitter page, not sure on the name.

Says he's spoken with The Cutlers arms, who normally let away fans in but have been advised not to on this occasion by SYP, as have the New York Tavern.

If you ask me, it f**king stinks. Scrubbers from up road come to Donny and pretty much get free reign of the town, yet we don't get free reign of Toytown. Admittedly, not everyone in attendance from Donny will be drinking, but it sounds like they're probably trying to cram as many as they can in the Bridge Inn. SYP really are inept and out of touch with everything. Might aswell just chuck a bit more fuel on the fire.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:46:32 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 21, 2018, 12:52:30 pm by Filo »
Wear no colours how they going to tell if your an away fan?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 21, 2018, 01:10:42 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

They'll ask you to count to three, if you manage it they'll know!

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 21, 2018, 05:11:03 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »

Probably ask to see your match ticket, then again you could quite easily counter-argue you're not off to the match and didn't know there was one on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 21, 2018, 06:29:21 pm by Filo »

Probably ask to see your match ticket, then again you could quite easily counter-argue you're not off to the match and didn't know there was one on.
exactly, if you're not going to the match and fancy a pint how can they tell?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 21, 2018, 06:46:26 pm by Padge_DRFC »
If you want to go to a pub on Saturday you can go to any just don’t turn up in big groups. Go in small groups to the same pub at slightly different times not rocket science.
It’s just like most major cities on nights out they won’t let a large group of lads in. All we do is pair up and go in and oh look we’re all in

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 21, 2018, 07:33:31 pm by idler »
I went into that pub right outside Millmoor in one of our last away games before the conference. I was talking to some rough looking fans of theirs before the game and we had a bit of nobble and left on good terms.
After the game it was like world war three in parts as I walked back to my car.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 21, 2018, 10:43:25 pm by Filo »
If you want to go to a pub on Saturday you can go to any just don’t turn up in big groups. Go in small groups to the same pub at slightly different times not rocket science.
It’s just like most major cities on nights out they won’t let a large group of lads in. All we do is pair up and go in and oh look we’re all in

This, arrive early enough in Rotherham, go to pub in dribs and drabs and they then have two choices, kick all Rovers fans out and risk disorder, or stop Rotherham fans from going in

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 22, 2018, 11:06:16 am by DearneValleyRover »
Get an England Rugby shirt and say your out for that

eight over

« Reply #25 on February 22, 2018, 11:56:26 am by eight over »
Get an England Rugby shirt and say your out for that

Its mainly the same fans in the pubs each games so they know who are Millers and who are away fans, just behave and enjoy a beer and its normally ok.

When we play Wednesday you dont see any Blue and White anywhere in the local pubs

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 22, 2018, 02:46:44 pm by ian1980 »
Sounds like the Bridge Inn is where we’ll be heading then. Looking forward to it

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 22, 2018, 03:29:34 pm by RedJ »
What train is everyone getting?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 22, 2018, 04:46:04 pm by Filo »

The one to Rotherham I'd imagine 😀

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 22, 2018, 04:50:54 pm by IDM »

Depends on your age I guess - possibly the last one to Clarksville, to London, or to trancentral..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012