Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:22:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rome  (Read 2028 times)

moses

• VSC Member
Rome
« on March 18, 2018, 08:02:47 pm by moses »
Apols  for joining the gang.
But taking Zipporah for a suprise trip for our 20 Wedding anniversary to Rome for a few days.

Never been before, given the well travelled nature of the members of this forum am sure you might have some advice on a few ideas for  The trip.

Thinking walking tour, restaurants, hotels, sightseeing.
Any tips greatfully received.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Rome
« Reply #1 on March 18, 2018, 08:57:06 pm by NickDRFC »
I have only been as a 15/16 year old with my family but absolutely loved it. The iconic places there are iconic for a reason - The Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevvi Fountain, Vatican City (especially St Peter's Basilica) are all must visits for me.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 18, 2018, 09:02:46 pm by idler »
Most of Ancient Rome is in about maybe a square mile.
The Pantheon was free entry but they are talking of charging for entry.
The Forum and and Colosseum are more or less next door. One ticket will give you entry to the other. Both have to be visited in the same day though.  The arch of Titus is just outside theColosseum. Circus Maximus is where horse and chariot races were held and is close.
The church of St. Peter in Chains is about 200yds away and houses Michaelangelo's statue of Moses and the Popes tomb that he started carving. There are plenty of ruins dotted about including Trajan's Arch and Trajan's column. The Trevi Fountain is nice but can get crowded.
Avoid going to the Vatican on a Saturday, massive queues and herded around like sheep. The first Sunday of every month is free entry.
The wedding cake (royal palace) is nice for photographs. There are lots of churches and piazzas to stop at. You won't get lost if you have a map. There is an underground system but we never used it.
You can buy tickets for the hop on-hop off bus, this has a running commentary.
We stayed at the Savoy near the Barbarina twice. That was about a 20 minute walk to the Colosseum and we passed the Hard Rock Cafe which was decent food but not Italian. Restaurants vary greatly in price but all have menu prices displayed. We walked just about everywhere except a prearranged taxi to and from the airport both times.
I'm sure that having been once you will want to go back.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 18, 2018, 09:07:41 pm by RedJ »
As above, very easy to walk the entire city (or rather the bits worth seeing), and while it can be dear eating, if you go off the beaten track there's some nice places to get some scran.

Avoid anyone dressed up as a Roman soldier or the like, however. They like to pose for photographs with you and take videos - only to then demand money after you've taken them.

Which airport you going to? there's a train directly between one of them to a fairly central train station.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 19, 2018, 02:50:13 pm by wing commander »
    As with all these places you have to be a bit savvy...Firstly like on the Venice thread avoid eating/drinking in the main tourist areas like the colosseum,trevi fountain etc..Boy can they charge top doller.Also make sure you keep your valuables very safe..Romes attractions are well known to be worked by gangs of professional pick pockets who could take the laces out your shoes without you knowing about it..
    If your staying for a few days i would also stay away from the organised tours,although that is catch 22..The good thing about the organised tours is you don't have to queue as long to see things like the Vatican,colosseum etc etc the tours get priority entrance compaired to just turning up..However the tours just want to get you in and out and you don't get to spend the time you really want too in these places,they just want to rush you through..
    Rome is one of the best city's on earth absolutely beautiful and a must see place..

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 19, 2018, 03:44:44 pm by Hounslowrover »
We stayed in Trastevere area, good for food and lively. Get the tram to Belli and you're there.  We enjoyed Grazia and Graciella among others for food.  Reasonable prices.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 19, 2018, 07:26:25 pm by mushRTID »
Loved Rome, my favourite city iv been. Have a great time.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2018, 09:10:36 am by IDM »
Haven't been for decades, went with my family as a child and we stayed well outside the city as far as I remember, and took day trips in to see the sights.

I expect it will be very busy, especially if you plan to go at Easter, which is the main event for the RC church and the Vatican.

I can't recommend anything about restaurants etc except to say that even 30 odd years ago the street vendors were asking 4x as much as in the UK for ice creams..

It goes without saying that the ancient sites are a must, Colloseum etc, bucket list stuff methinks..

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 21, 2018, 09:30:27 am by ravenrover »
and when it comes to crossing the roads just do what the Romans do just step out and keep going, best to close your eyes though. Roman drivers are crazy but they will try to miss you😅

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 21, 2018, 12:13:06 pm by Hounslowrover »
and when it comes to crossing the roads just do what the Romans do just step out and keep going, best to close your eyes though. Roman drivers are crazy but they will try to miss you😅
We found looking or staring at the driver was the best way to cross the road, and we are still here.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 21, 2018, 06:52:11 pm by RedJ »
This. It's absolutely terrifying crossing the street in Rome. Especially with the f**king scooters.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 22, 2018, 07:15:10 am by hoolahoop »
This. It's absolutely terrifying crossing the street in Rome. Especially with the f**king scooters.

😂😂😂Time for a dedicated Travel section perhavs now that we seem to have an appetite for travel and well- travelled members to give cracking advice to others .

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2018, 04:58:09 pm by moses »
To be fair we don’t get too much traffic through the Off Topic section.
And this is definitely off topic.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 24, 2018, 10:08:44 am by hoolahoop »
To be fair we don’t get too much traffic through the Off Topic section.
And this is definitely off topic.

Off Topic has been busy of late check out some of the ridiculously long threads

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 25, 2018, 04:16:38 am by bahrain rover »
I agree with Hoola, The travel questions always generate good replies and long threads. I vote a yes please.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 25, 2018, 04:58:41 am by SydneyRover »
Love Rome, the metro is easy to use, Flaminio is a great area (most areas are) the streets opp the main arch will get you a nice lunch, often the house whites are better than the house reds in Rome, and speaking of lunch if you go off-piste the value is better and lunchtime value is better than evening. Don't get cabs unless you have to. The Italians are heavy smokers and smoking inside restaurants is still allowed but many don't allow it. There is great value to be had instead of a full evening meal with "aperivtivo" which is served as a pre-dinner drink with food but often you don't need dinner after. There's plenty of variety some offer a buffet style with others bringing the food and drink to the table. Look at the offers as with some you have to buy a particular drink to get the free aperetivo others you pay for the drink and a nominal amount for the food. Enjoy yourselves.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 24, 2018, 08:15:40 am by moses »
Just back from Rome. Lovely time. Everywhere you walk is a ancient monument. We walked miles and miles with Via coranari being our favourite for restaurants and bars.
Thanks for all the advice.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012