Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:45:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lack of goals  (Read 2849 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Lack of goals
« on April 29, 2018, 10:49:28 am by phil old leake »
This has been an issue for rovers and DF for at  least 2 seasons and maybe longer.  I agree with needing to get someone in.  Surely if he has recognised this like we all have then it’s his job to coach it.  I remember years ago SWFC were struggling to score and their manager (don’t know who it was) moved a left back up front (Paul Warhurst) who got and England call up and they got to the league cup final.
Is this not something DF should be doing with the players he’s got.    Any suggestions

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Lack of goals
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2018, 11:04:18 am by Chris Black come back »
Time for Cedric to step up!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 29, 2018, 11:06:35 am by NickDRFC »
Didn’t Warhurst move up front because of injuries to David Hirst & Mark Bright?

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 29, 2018, 12:04:47 pm by goalkick »
Yesterday's game summed up our lack of goals,not one shot on target.

ck-rtid

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 29, 2018, 12:18:24 pm by ck-rtid »
Don’t think we had a lack of goals last season, 85 league goals last season

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 29, 2018, 12:29:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
That was League Two. We are now in League One, where the standard is higher. We are looking to get promoted from League One.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 29, 2018, 12:30:46 pm by dickos1 »
It was league two
But the opening post stated we’ve suffered from a lack of goals for two seasons.
Simply not true

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 29, 2018, 12:48:39 pm by Donnybax »
We definitely didn’t suffer for goals last season. But this season it has been a problem. Pretty sound at the back but the majority of the games we’ve lost has been by the odd goal. Complete opposite to a traditional Fergie team

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2018, 01:36:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
It was league two
But the opening post stated we’ve suffered from a lack of goals for two seasons.
Simply not true

I am not replying to the opening post.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 29, 2018, 01:45:52 pm by dickos1 »
No
You’re replying to a guy who obviously is just pointing out to the opening poster that not scoring many in two years is incorrect
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:47:49 pm by dickos1 »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 29, 2018, 02:44:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
Oh dear. Take a breather comrade, season almost over. Slide away the keyboard. Get yourself off to a yoga retreat. Drink some chamomile tea.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 29, 2018, 04:48:56 pm by dickos1 »
Not every topic on this forum needs your negative input comrade

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 29, 2018, 05:54:17 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Imagine how bored we'd all be if we didn't have anything to moan about in regards to Rovers.

Mind you, I think people would moan about that.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 29, 2018, 05:59:16 pm by idler »
It depends what scale on the moanometer it's at.
I've no worries about reading or listening to anybody with genuine concerns regarding results,squad,formation or league position.
The ones that annoy are the ones that only post with negative comments and usually after a bad or disappointing result.
It would be a boring world if we all shared the same opinion all of the time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 29, 2018, 06:05:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's clear that we would all like us to be scoring more goals. But I suspect that if we had scored 80 goals and finished mid-table, there woudl be complaints that Ferguson had a career-long problem with organising teams to defend.

What's happened this year is that he's made us far stronger at the back than I thought he was capable of doing. The challenge now is to retain that strong foundation whilst giving us a bit more verve going forwards.

Cast your minds back 11 years and think on how O'Driscoll's first priority when he arrived was to make us defensively stronger. In his 39 league games in charge in 06/07, we scored 45 and conceded 39. To be honest, it was often grim to watch and I was as vociferous as anyone in complaining about the lack of entertainment. But that was the foundation for promotion the following season, with a much better balance of attack and defence. Here's hopping that Ferguson can find a similar balance next year.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 29, 2018, 06:17:59 pm by Campsall rover »
It's clear that we would all like us to be scoring more goals. But I suspect that if we had scored 80 goals and finished mid-table, there woudl be complaints that Ferguson had a career-long problem with organising teams to defend.

What's happened this year is that he's made us far stronger at the back than I thought he was capable of doing. The challenge now is to retain that strong foundation whilst giving us a bit more verve going forwards.

Cast your minds back 11 years and think on how O'Driscoll's first priority when he arrived was to make us defensively stronger. In his 39 league games in charge in 06/07, we scored 45 and conceded 39. To be honest, it was often grim to watch and I was as vociferous as anyone in complaining about the lack of entertainment. But that was the foundation for promotion the following season, with a much better balance of attack and defence. Here's hopping that Ferguson can find a similar balance next year.
Correct BST very few teams are promoted if you have to score 3 goals to win a game every week.
Successful teams are nearly always built on a sound defence. We have the 5th best record in league 1 this season. If DF can sought out the other end of the pitch then next season should see us challenging for promotion.  :thumbsup:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 29, 2018, 11:07:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
Good point, well made, BST.

Not the one about our goal scoring, the one about you complaining about SOD! ;) :laugh:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 29, 2018, 11:59:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Alan

Yep. I try to learn from my mistakes. That was a mistake.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2018, 10:07:48 am by phil old leake »
We’ve got the man to support the mighty John.  AW is ideal for him.  It worked before why not again. They just need a run of games to get used to each other again

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2018, 01:39:18 pm by RoversAlias »
If you've seen Andy Williams in the past year you'd know why he isn't the ideal anything for Marquis. Not up to it I'm afraid.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2018, 04:07:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
Agreed, Alias. The fire in the belly seems to have been extinguished. He has not pulled up any trees in games I've seen him play for the Dev team. Time for a trade.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012