Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:52:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pre season friendlies  (Read 3587 times)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Pre season friendlies
« on April 29, 2018, 11:08:42 am by German Rover »
Who do people want pre season. If love to see us play against more than one of the village teams round here and see us spread the love a little more.

Also rangers or Celtic down here with their big followings putting some cash into the coffers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Keenstonian

• Forum Member
Re: Pre season friendlies
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2018, 11:38:21 am by Keenstonian »
Frickley Athletic will be one of the pre season games.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 29, 2018, 11:40:29 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Frickley seem to be in one of the play offs

how about Lazio again (1-0 home win last time)   who was that German mob that came around the same time ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 29, 2018, 11:47:00 am by The Red Baron »

how about Lazio again (1-0 home win last time)   who was that German mob that came around the same time ?

We lost 4-0 to Lazio. No shame in that though.

The German team was Werder Bremen, whom we played the season before (68-69) and beat 2-1.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 29, 2018, 11:50:23 am by Chris Black come back »
Think we put Thailand in the same bucket as renovating Belle Vue and signing Lassana Diarra.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 29, 2018, 02:46:04 pm by idler »

We lost 4-0 to Lazio. No shame in that though.

The German team was Werder Bremen, whom we played the season before (68-69) and beat 2-1.
I missed that game but did see us play Wormatia Worms and Dallas Tornados. I think that we beat the Germans 2-0 and then drew against Dallas.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 29, 2018, 02:51:03 pm by Jimmydee »
Tadcaster Albion,  where Beestin was signed from

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 29, 2018, 03:34:04 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Do we still owe Hythe a game for Alfie May?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2018, 04:06:38 pm by idler »
That's a long expensive trip for a friendly Dutch. It could happen though if we have given our word.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 29, 2018, 04:25:27 pm by Dutch Uncle »
That was what I was meaning Idler - it seems we may have gained a reputation for being good for non-league clubs when signing their players. If so, then IMHO that would be a good reputation to keep.

Maybe if we combine with another friendly in the area? A rematch of our first ever Conference fixture maybe?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 29, 2018, 04:30:08 pm by idler »
I did wonder about that but it obviously incurs at least another night's hotel bill. Good publicity as you say though.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 29, 2018, 05:24:48 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Hallam FC? Wasn't that friendly as a result of signing Matty Cauldwell?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 29, 2018, 07:58:45 pm by the vicar »
Who do people want pre season. If love to see us play against more than one of the village teams round here and see us spread the love a little more.

Also rangers or Celtic down here with their big followings putting some cash into the coffers.
We have no chance of getting Celtic or Rangers as they ask mega bucks.  Chesterfield lost big style when they played them and got there ground ripped to shreds in the bargain

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 29, 2018, 07:59:57 pm by RedRover45 »
We also agreed to play Kidderminster two seasons ago after the planned friendly fell through then.
I'd like to see friendlies at Scarborough, South Shields and local ones at Askern and Goole. Pity we couldn't arrange one at Brodsworth Welfare who have just folded in the last couple of days.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 29, 2018, 08:31:09 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Harrogate Town, Harrogate Railway or Knaresborough Town.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 29, 2018, 08:57:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Noticed Knowles scored all 5 goals for Town yesterday. Rovers had him as a junior and released him.
:headbang: :facepalm:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 29, 2018, 09:10:36 pm by ravenrover »
We also agreed to play Kidderminster two seasons ago after the planned friendly fell through then.
I'd like to see friendlies at Scarborough, South Shields and local ones at Askern and Goole. Pity we couldn't arrange one at Brodsworth Welfare who have just folded in the last couple of days.
Broddie 1st team I played for back in early 70's ended up as 1st team captain playing in Yorkshire League but I still couldn't get in Sun Inn 1st team in 5th div of Sunday League eh Baz !!!

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 29, 2018, 09:26:14 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Noticed Knowles scored all 5 goals for Town yesterday. Rovers had him as a junior and released him.

Didn't know that. I understood he'd come through the ranks at Burnley, was released by them and apart from a spell in League 2 with Burton had since played in the Conference North for Town and Gainsborough.Missed the first half of the season through injury, makes you wonder if he'd managed a whole season. He's a good player

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 29, 2018, 09:48:34 pm by Campsall rover »

Didn't know that. I understood he'd come through the ranks at Burnley, was released by them and apart from a spell in League 2 with Burton had since played in the Conference North for Town and Gainsborough.Missed the first half of the season through injury, makes you wonder if he'd managed a whole season. He's a good player
Sorry wrong player it is Joe Leesley that was at Rovers I think.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 29, 2018, 10:24:22 pm by Harrogate Rover »

Sorry wrong player it is Joe Leesley that was at Rovers I think.

Knowles could well have had a trial with Rovers, be it pre-season or a reserve game. According to wikipedia he was released by Burnley in 2012. The only thing I know about Leesley is that he signed from Alfreton.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 29, 2018, 10:45:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »

You can't just wish for teams to play because they're local, proper supporters should be prepared to travel.  :ohmy:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 29, 2018, 11:06:42 pm by idler »
Broddie 1st team I played for back in early 70's ended up as 1st team captain playing in Yorkshire League but I still couldn't get in Sun Inn 1st team in 5th div of Sunday League eh Baz !!!
We once went to watch a mate play at Highfields and the home team were short and worried they would be fined. Me and the other lad said we'd get our kit and help them out. By the time we got back they had been in the welfare and got three or four volunteers. My everlasting memory is of being told tha we weren't needed and watching a bald,tall skinny bloke probably in his 50s playing centre half in sky blue y fronts.
That would be about 1969.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 29, 2018, 11:38:52 pm by the vicar »
FC Fylde  and Salford

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2018, 12:14:40 am by DD »
Somewhere abroad! & I don't mean Wales / Lancashire / isle of axe home / Carlisle (Scotland) / Brighton (France) / Plymouth (south of France).
Somewhere you could fly to from Donny??? Ok that cuts it down a lot!!!  Amsterdam Berlin ......Poland?....

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2018, 02:08:38 am by scawsby steve »
Toll Bar raggy-arse Wanderers.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2018, 07:22:39 am by Draytonian III »
As from June for 4 and half months you’ll be able to fly to Belfast

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 30, 2018, 07:57:02 am by The Red Baron »

Kidderminster is a good shout. Gavin Strachan is a good friend of the manager there (John Eustace) and they had Will Longbottom on loan this season.

I'd love that because it's local to me and they do the most wonderful food.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 30, 2018, 08:21:17 am by Retdon1 »
Didn’t we cancel a friendly against a non league side last minute in pre season due to injuries. We might have agreed to play them again.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 30, 2018, 09:28:52 am by RedJ »
That WAS Kidderminster wasn't it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 30, 2018, 09:32:53 am by Bentley Bullet »
AFC Bentley's got a good new ground...........

TinyPortal © 2005-2012