Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:47:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cards for managers  (Read 2182 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Cards for managers
« on July 31, 2018, 07:06:58 pm by RedJ »
Dunno if anyone else has seen this yet, interesting proposals. Dickov would be picking up plenty of cards...

https://t.co/6llEP8hnmo

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Cards for managers
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2018, 07:33:01 pm by pib »
Dunno if anyone else has seen this yet, interesting proposals. Dickov would be picking up plenty of cards...

https://t.co/6llEP8hnmo

He would if anyone was daft enough to appoint him anyway.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 31, 2018, 07:34:53 pm by RedJ »
Think it's ridiculous to be honest.

Are referees going to be held accountable for the countless times they'll cock things up or show a basic lack of common sense, or is it just blame the managers/coaches/players and everybody else?

How about showing a yellow card to the referee after a bad performance? So many bad performances results in a demotion?

There's a few managers capable of accumulating 16 yellow cards by Christmas as well.

I think it'll serve to achieve very little in the long-term.

It'll stop managers being Kitsons to officials.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2018, 07:54:58 pm by drfchound »
Will the authorities stop managers in the stands from phoning messages and instructions to their assistants on the bench?
A bit pointless otherwise.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2018, 08:25:39 pm by selby »
They will be fined though, another nice little earner for the FA.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2018, 08:34:19 pm by esdailles left foot »
I’ll never understand why we blame officials for getting it wrong yet players chuck themselves to the floor at every opportunity to deceive and seem devoid of criticism

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2018, 09:01:00 pm by Rovers91 »
Good job not got Fergie anymore then.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2018, 09:00:06 am by sedwardsdrfc »
It's about respecting the officials though isn't it which you can't really argue with. As hard as it is when they are terrible!

Would like to see more accountability for terrible refs and also for players who dive or cheat getting retrospective punishment. And players pretending to be injured needs clamping down on big time it's embarrassing. I think they should have to leave the pitch for at least 5min for a doctor to clear them to carry on because the way they go down makes every minor touch look like a broken leg or severe head wound, it should be treated as such   

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2018, 09:07:52 am by Alan Southstand »
I can see this being a big problem for Peterborough!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2018, 09:12:55 am by RedJ »
I can see this being a big problem for Peterborough!

God help the poor bas**rds in the stand he gets sent to

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2018, 10:41:58 am by VivaRovers »
It's the referee's job to get the decision correct. It's not the players job to help him - their job is to win football matches (and if it means doing it by devious means then so be it).

Sorry Rigo, but you can't excuse players of doing anything possible (including cheating) to win a game and then blame the referees for not being able to make the right call in the face of 22 men trying to deceive them.

Also, incidentally, the laws of the game say nothing about the referee's job being to get everything correct, what they actually say is...

"Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game."

At least referees are doing what they do in the spirit of the game, even if players are being actively encouraged not to.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 01, 2018, 12:50:14 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I understand Rigo's point over this. We do need tougher penalties for players who have been found to be deliberately and significantly going against the spirit of the game. That would include post match penalties if it were missed at the time.

There is the issue that a player cons something out of a game and there isn't VAR to spot that at the time, a ban in future games could effectively harm the club he was playing against. One little way towards redressing that would be whatever ban he had, he'd also be banned the next time he comes up against that club, either in that season or at some point in the future.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 01, 2018, 03:34:50 pm by VivaRovers »
...Luis Suarez deliberately handled the ball in the immediate build-up to make it 2-0 to Liverpool, after an hour.

Now it was a handball. Clear as day. Everybody could see it. Suarez knew he'd done it, but he was just being instinctive in finishing off the move and putting the ball into the net. It's not Suarez's job to say to the referee 'sorry I handled it, it shouldn't count' - it's the referees job to get it right.

Unfortunately for the referee, it was a TV game so there's a million different camera angles and it gets replayed over and over again and the player involved meant it made headlines.

As per the laws of the game - and my post above - it's the referee's job to make decisions to the best of his ability to uphold the spirit of the game. He or she can't give an offence they haven't seen. It happens. What you've hit on there though is how TV amplifies this pressure. And as to whether Suarez should say to the referee 'it hit my hand, it shouldn't count,' in an ideal world I'd like to think he would - and there examples out there of such sportsmanship, but sadly it's rare.

Another example, FIFA Fair Play Day, 2006, Cheltenham vs Bradford. Dean Windass grabs John Finnigan's b*llocks, squeezes them as hard as he can - Finnigan retaliates and gets a red card for violent conduct. Bradford go on to win 2-1, Windass scores one - they get the points.

Is that 'cheating' or is it just clever gamesmanship and being crafty?

It is cheating and gamesmanship. And if seen, would have been punished as such.

I'm not sure why you've used these examples, as they don't show examples of a referee not being right, they show examples of players taking advantage of the fact it's impossible for three officials to se everything and 'cheating' or employing gamesmanship to exploit that.

So the problem here doesn't sit with referees; it sits much broader across players being encouraged to win at all costs, and the unwinnable challenge that three officials face if 22 people are trying to con them at every turn.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 01, 2018, 03:40:38 pm by RoversAlias »
The person who is cheating is the one at fault, not the referee for missing it. Especially if said player has intentionally tried to conceal his cheating from the officials. I'm tired of your attempts to defend footballers cheating Rigo, it's tiresome and lacking in logic in my opinion.

Also, who is "we" in this Suarez story? I'm losing track, do you use "we" for Rovers, Mansfield or are there a multitude of other teams as well.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 01, 2018, 04:26:08 pm by VivaRovers »
Rigo, you can't complain that cheating is prevalent in the game, and then say you see no point in blaming the people doing the cheating.

What puts me off most about watching football is the cheating, the play-acting and the gamesmanship - it's why I can't watch 'El Classico', for example. And I agree it needs to have something done about it - but it's impossible to implement VAR at all levels of the game, and so you have to start looking at why players are doing it, and try and prevent it.

Problem is, should a referee do that by booking every act of gamesmanship, they'll be lambasted as over-officious and spoiling the game. The referees can't win, sadly... especially if people fail to hold players to account for their actions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 01, 2018, 06:19:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There’ll be complaints from me if we win by Marquis punching the ball into the net. Because the game is not that important that winning at all costs is what matters.

Football is a reflection of individuals’ and societies’ values. Personally, I want us to win but not by cheating. It’s the reason I couldn’t stand that t**t Guy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012