Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:32:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well that window shut with a whimper  (Read 9885 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Well that window shut with a whimper
« Reply #30 on August 09, 2018, 10:11:27 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Marquis safe until January then, you can stop cowering behind the sofa now

Not strictly true.

The loan window is still open so, theoretically, a club could sign a player on loan with a hefty loan fee involved and an obligatory clause to purchase him for £1 in January or whatever.

I'm sure someone will give it a go in the next couple of weeks.
True but unlikely in this case

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 09, 2018, 10:22:17 pm by Michael Shaw »
We've constantly been told to be patient through the entire release window and of course nothing significant has happened even thought the money is supposed to be there. We might as well had the lowest budget in League One so far for all the good it’s done us.   
So let’s be patient as we still have essentially a 15th placed team from last season.  Just one more goal from Southend and the whole perspective right now would be quite different.  Wycombe are a side heavily tipped for relegation, so we ought to beat them at home, but let’s see where we are 6 or 10 games in. Just be patient. Trust me, buying players in at Christmas will be too late to get us promotion.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 09, 2018, 10:23:47 pm by RedJ »
f**king hell you must be fun at parties. "We won but we nearly didn't and just imagine how shit it'd be if we hadn't won!"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 09, 2018, 10:25:41 pm by drfchound »
It has been repeatedly said that it is the manager who has decided not to spend some of the money that is available to him, not that he hasn’t any money available.
It shouldn’t be hard to understand.
Of course we may yet get one or two really good loan players in yet.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 09, 2018, 10:26:38 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I understand why people think we look weaker than last year where we had a few more senior faces but if you think what they actually contributed on the pitch last year only Baudry is a miss imo. A lot of those players who in theory made us stronger squad last year we're very poor when picked. I was hoping we'd have money from Williams leaving to sign another decent striker permanently but Wilks on loan looks a good signing for now anyway.

I agree with the theory we are weaker than last year (on paper) but believe that GM does have the money and will use it when the right players become available, he still won't have a great idea about our squad until at least 10 games in so is maybe been cautious of making bad signings. I like that approach having seen DF give a lot of long an contracts very early in is reign which we've only just managed to stop paying for.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 09, 2018, 10:27:15 pm by RedJ »
It has been repeatedly said that it is the manager who has decided not to spend some of the money that is available to him, not that he hasn’t any money available.
It shouldn’t be hard to understand.
Of course we may yet get one or two really good loan players in yet.

Doesn't fit the narrative though, does it.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 09, 2018, 10:28:27 pm by Spilsby Red »
Can you just imagine a party with some on here. At the bar then out to the hanging cos the doom and gloom.
Cheer up people.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 09, 2018, 10:29:23 pm by Michael Shaw »
If Crawford’s injury is fake news, and if we don’t get any more injuries all season, and if Marquis gets a hat trick in every game, and if every other team gets a man sent off in every game against us, if we gets some great layers sometime, I think we might get into the top 6 at the end of the season. Personally, I would have preferred a bit less luck.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 09, 2018, 10:30:48 pm by Spilsby Red »
I would have preferred less ifs. However it is about what if etc

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 09, 2018, 10:31:07 pm by Michael Shaw »
It's only grown men kicking a ball, why are YOU taking it all so seriously?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 09, 2018, 10:36:10 pm by silent majority »
Nothing personal Sm, I just say it how it is, if they really wanted a go at it they could, but it’s stagnant mate, I bet the wage bill is a massive saving this year and all this about budgets is rubbish too, theve signed nobody who’s on an earner and it’s all done on the cheap,  I’ll guarantee Rowe and wright go at the end of the season??? Fancy a bet??

Raggy, but you don't say it how it is, you say it how you think it is. The problem I have with you is you never answer any of the questions I ask, you just keep repeating what you've always posted, and most of the time it's wrong.

I don't see how the talk about budgets can be wrong, sooner or later they have to file the accounts, we get to look at them , so misleading anybody is hardly a smart move, in fact it's so dumb they wouldn't do it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 09, 2018, 10:41:39 pm by silent majority »
I think he means we haven't investedmuch in the future.. Loans are okay but don't benefit us longer term, and as much as I'm always positive and still am,i don't think you can be to surprised that a lot of fans are a bit dissapointed with what we've brought in on permanents this window.. 

Yes, but as a business man you will appreciate you can only invest your money once, when it's gone it's gone.

Loans are a fact of life these days, whilst ever EPL Academies are scooping up all the available talent we have to adopt a similar policy to other clubs in and around where we are.  Insisting on signing players on permanent contracts inevitably would mean a decline in the standard of player.

I get what your saying mate and agree with what your saying up to a point, but it's all about balance and for me I feel we haven't gone far enough with investment at this stage of the season, I accept there is budget available for January if needed but again that's just loans.. There is no resale value in players like Taylor and obviously not the loanees...Clubs at our level are still managing to find players,develop them,get the benefit and then sell them for a few million...something we don't seem able to do... 

Are they though WC? Just because the odd club does it here and there doesn't equate to 'clubs at our level'. But up until now this club has never had a serious youth development programme, but we have now. Let's give it a bit of time to work through, nothing happens overnight.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 09, 2018, 10:44:42 pm by Drover »
Personally,Im like many fans,Im usually a little disappointed if we don't sign anybody when the deadline day passes.I don't really know why,but this time,Im thinking it's probably wise to wait a few weeks,and see where we maybe weak or can improve on the field,or if we get any injuries,before using anymore funds to bring anymore players in.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:47:48 pm by Drover »

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 09, 2018, 10:46:20 pm by Michael Shaw »
I for one, accept we do have a top 6 budget, but when we don't see players coming in that reflects that sort of budget, it get frustrating. We've already lost Crawford, so why should we be excited about this season when there is so little change from last season?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 09, 2018, 10:50:13 pm by PDX_Rover »
You can argue that we actually had/have a decent core squad, but Ferguson was unable to get the best out of them.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 09, 2018, 10:53:57 pm by Spilsby Red »
Exactly what I have been saying. Perhaps GM installing confidence in the squad is like signing new players.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 09, 2018, 10:58:08 pm by Michael Shaw »
That's why I say "ifs" and "Perhaps GM". Not all of us can just accept "ifs" and "perhaps".

If nothing changes, you get the same result. Play the same players and we can expect to be about the same place, even if do get off to a good start with a couple of wins the final result will be the same. Even GM has said we need a good start to get into and stay in the top 6.  So why save the bulk of the budget to later in the season?

It doesn't make us doom and gloom merchants, it just means we want something more substantial to look forward to.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 09, 2018, 11:01:43 pm by Spilsby Red »
You have a club to support. That should be one great thing.
It’s the same all the time on here. We need more players, we need this, we need that. Blah blah bloody blah

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 09, 2018, 11:01:56 pm by silent majority »
So can somebody tell me who we lost from last season that made a telling contribution? Somebody who is a major loss for this season?

Houghton, who we were happy to sign in January, and who initially agreed to join us, became a different player after that. Williams hardly kicked a ball and Alcock had not been the same player since his pre-season injury. Baudry spent a chunk of time on the treatment table and didn't have the confidence to be more flexible in his play.

So which star players who contributed massively have we lost and that haven't been replaced?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 09, 2018, 11:03:19 pm by Spilsby Red »
Silent majority..... well said

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 09, 2018, 11:05:01 pm by silent majority »
That's why I say "ifs" and "Perhaps GM". Not all of us can just accept "ifs" and "perhaps".

If nothing changes, you get the same result. Play the same players and we can expect to be about the same place, even if do get off to a good start with a couple of wins the final result will be the same. Even GM has said we need a good start to get into and stay in the top 6.  So why save the bulk of the budget to later in the season?

It doesn't make us doom and gloom merchants, it just means we want something more substantial to look forward to.

Steady on. Let's not start putting stuff out there that's inaccurate. When we say he hasn't spent all the budget that doesn't imply that he's saved the bulk of the budget, on the contrary.

And we need to accept that DF didn't spend all his budget in pre-season either and yet I can't remember a single poster moaning this time last year.

And I have no idea what you mean by more substantial.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 09, 2018, 11:05:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t forget Rodney.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 09, 2018, 11:06:56 pm by The Red Baron »
I think he means we haven't investedmuch in the future.. Loans are okay but don't benefit us longer term, and as much as I'm always positive and still am,i don't think you can be to surprised that a lot of fans are a bit dissapointed with what we've brought in on permanents this window.. 

It is possible, of course, that the loan players eventually become permanent signings.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 09, 2018, 11:07:05 pm by silent majority »

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 09, 2018, 11:07:32 pm by Spilsby Red »
Always got moaners. How many people were here in the Richardson era. He nearly ruined my club. That is why I am thankful I still have a club to support.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 09, 2018, 11:10:13 pm by Michael Shaw »
It's funny how I can remember every one of those players arriving to a fanfare from the club, saying how they are looking forward to playing for the club and will give 100%. And now you can't slag them off fast enough now they're gone. I hope they are not reading this thread. Last year we were being told how wonderful they all were the same as we are being told this current squad is top 6 potential.  Time will tell.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 09, 2018, 11:12:28 pm by silent majority »
It's funny how I can remember every one of those players arriving to a fanfare from the club, saying how they are looking forward to playing for the club and will give 100%. And now you can't slag them off fast enough now they're gone. I hope they are not reading this thread. Last year we were being told how wonderful they all were the same as we are being told this current squad is top 6 potential.  Time will tell.

That's the trouble with certain posters, they just keep moving the goal posts.

And not answering the posts others put up to counter their arguments.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 09, 2018, 11:37:44 pm by RoversAlias »
  1969, no football manager is cheap, the better value is in the loan market for two reasons for us this season.
   It gives our new manager more time to assess where we need improving, and there is a better standard of player available for the money, and more choice.
  All the players who are not in their clubs thoughts and were up for transfer up to 5 o'clock today are now up for loan, plus players who do not make the premiership squads and those without clubs.
   Dickos, I can see your logic in numbers and quality, but I am hoping, and don't think it will be very hard, to make better use of the players at his disposal, especially positional, and probably tactically. Baudry and Williams were no good to us sat watching.

I agree mcann May get more out of the players and that’s still to be seen.
But my worry is injuries, if we get the injuries we got last year, mcann will be struggling

Why do you keep calling him "mcann"?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 09, 2018, 11:40:06 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody has suggested we’ve lost people who made telling contributions.
What has been said is we’ve lost more players than we’ve brought in and last season we were very light in certain positions.
If mason gets injured we only have Lund if Andrew gets injured we only have Amos, if Marquis gets injured we’ve nobody.
Rate them or not, Williams, Alcock, Garrett, mandeville, were all decent options when players were injured and we’ve not replaced them.
Houghton and baudry were two of our most important players and they’ve gone.
We haven’t invested the money we’re now saving on the players that left.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 09, 2018, 11:40:40 pm by dickos1 »
  1969, no football manager is cheap, the better value is in the loan market for two reasons for us this season.
   It gives our new manager more time to assess where we need improving, and there is a better standard of player available for the money, and more choice.
  All the players who are not in their clubs thoughts and were up for transfer up to 5 o'clock today are now up for loan, plus players who do not make the premiership squads and those without clubs.
   Dickos, I can see your logic in numbers and quality, but I am hoping, and don't think it will be very hard, to make better use of the players at his disposal, especially positional, and probably tactically. Baudry and Williams were no good to us sat watching.

I agree mcann May get more out of the players and that’s still to be seen.
But my worry is injuries, if we get the injuries we got last year, mcann will be struggling

Why do you keep calling him "mcann"?

Sorry, do you not know who I mean?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012