Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:03:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Calling all you Isle of Axholmers!  (Read 2546 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Calling all you Isle of Axholmers!
« on August 13, 2018, 11:05:31 pm by belton rover »
Pretty much 50/50 split in...Belton/Haxey/Epworth/Crowle between Scunny and Donny. As a teacher on the Isle, I urge you to sort yer sens out. Now is the time to persuade any doubters on the Isle that DRFC is the team to support!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Calling all you Isle of Axholmers!
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2018, 08:02:53 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've always wondered, why is it not mostly Scunthorpe fans given how close it is to Scunthorpe?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2018, 08:09:52 am by GazLaz »
Pretty much 50/50 split in...Belton/Haxey/Epworth/Crowle between Scunny and Donny. As a teacher on the Isle, I urge you to sort yer sens out. Now is the time to persuade any doubters on the Isle that DRFC is the team to support!

Do you teach at South Axholm?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2018, 08:37:51 am by Chris Black come back »
Presume families are split down middle - father could be Rovers, while sister/wife (often same) will be Scunny.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2018, 08:43:07 am by Donnywolf »
I ha a litter of Kittens born once in Belton and they were Scunny fans for a week then when their eyes opened it was Rovers Rovers Rovers

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2018, 08:44:24 am by Chris Black come back »
They also keep giant chickens in sheds round there and make them smoke. Disgusting.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 14, 2018, 08:53:37 am by wing commander »
    I'm Epworth but was born in Skellow...And for the record Chris, my chickens on the vape now...

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 14, 2018, 09:20:13 am by Rovers Return »
Completely changed all the kids on my street from wearing Man Utd, Chelsea, etc shirts to being Rovers fans. I was on my way out one day and the kids were all out on the front nearly all wearing the red and white hoops. At least 10/12 of them. I drove to the end of the road to turn right to head in the direction of Doncaster and I glanced left before pulling out and a lad was walking down the road in a Scummy shirt. I chuckled to myself and wondered if he would turn into our road. When I got back I asked the kids if he had. “Yeah” they grinned and he nearly fell over at the unexpected sight. 🤣🤣🤣

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 14, 2018, 11:01:16 am by Axholme Lion »
You can tell the Scunny fans by the extra digit.
Seriously though what a horrible place that town is. I'm sure it's all the pollution from the steelworks that has had some long term effect on the inhabitants and their off spring!
I'm in Westwoodside and though I am Millwall would always look for the Rovers result as I class them as the local team to here.

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 14, 2018, 04:24:27 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
North Axholme (Crowle, Ealand, Althorpe and that area) is much more Scunthorpe influenced, whereas South Axholme is patches of both, with a heavy weighting towards Rovers in Haxey, Westwoodside and Wroot (which are closer to Donny geographically) and a good number in Epworth, Belton and Owston Ferry.

Apparently in the 50s, a special bus from the Isle used to travel to Belle Vue on match days, and it was always heaving. My dad introduced me to the Rovers around 8 years old and he had a real dislike of all things Scunthorpe. In fact, he would go into a deep mood of depression whenever crossing over Keadby Bridge.

The Donny v Scunny fixture definitely comes with added spice on the Isle and we hope to win the bragging rights tonight.

One thing is for sure, my dad will be cheering the Rovers on from the main stand in the sky. Come on you Rovers!

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 14, 2018, 06:28:51 pm by redbrez »
Would be good to get some inicitave to get people from areas such has the isle ,Redford, Google,  Gainsborough, maybe a advert in local rags with discounts for people in theses postcode areas ? I wouldn't mind but would other's? Don't think free buses would be cost affective in today's climate

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 14, 2018, 06:42:27 pm by scawsby steve »
It's an interesting subject this, especially when you realise that some clubs have no geographical location to pull from; for instance, Dundee and Dundee United are across the road from each other, with nothing other than tradition and tribalism to draw from.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 14, 2018, 07:17:14 pm by The Red Baron »
It's an interesting subject this, especially when you realise that some clubs have no geographical location to pull from; for instance, Dundee and Dundee United are across the road from each other, with nothing other than tradition and tribalism to draw from.

Isn't Dundee a bit of a  "Rangers - Celtic" situation?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 14, 2018, 10:33:50 pm by belton rover »

Do you teach at South Axholm?
No - the other one.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 14, 2018, 11:08:47 pm by scawsby steve »

Isn't Dundee a bit of a  "Rangers - Celtic" situation?

You're right Baron; I believe Dundee have a Protestant tradition, and Dundee Utd have a Catholic tradition.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2018, 11:45:44 pm by RedJ »
Correct. United used to be Dundee Hibernian, they changed to United in order to try and pull in people from outside their traditional communities decades ago.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012