Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:18:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The game has gone mad  (Read 2520 times)

selby

• VSC Member
The game has gone mad
« on August 20, 2018, 12:07:14 pm by selby »
  With money in the premiership. On talksport it was said that £100 million does not get you much and that Manchester United's net spend since Fergie retired is  £ 711 million.
 What nobody does say though, is that in many cases, Villa, Stoke, West Ham, Weeds etc. and especially Manchester United, they have spent the money and are a worse team, clowns the lot of them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

nightporter

• VSC Member
Re: The game has gone mad
« Reply #1 on August 20, 2018, 12:23:09 pm by nightporter »
Like Chelsea selling their keeper for 35 mill and buying a worse (arguably) one for 70 million.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 20, 2018, 12:30:52 pm by GazLaz »
Like Chelsea selling their keeper for 35 mill and buying a worse (arguably) one for 70 million.

There’s more involved in valuing a player than just ability though isn’t there.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 20, 2018, 12:49:52 pm by arkseyrover »
When the premiership circus began in the nineties I thought the bubble would burst within a few years but it hasn't and it doesn't seem to me that it ever will now. It is now too big an animal to be allowed to fail and there are too many interwoven connected interests involved in ensuring that it rolls onwards. As much as I detest everything it means and all that it stands for the elite few will continue throwing absurd amounts of privileged funding around in their own self interest. I really do wish it would fall on its arse but fear that we are stuck with it. Really hope I'm wrong.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 20, 2018, 12:50:51 pm by NickDRFC »

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it. Courtois was in the last year of his contract so you could say Chelsea did well to get the amount they did for him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 20, 2018, 12:59:43 pm by RedJ »

To be fair Courtois kind of forced their hand and Bilbao (or whoever it was)m knew Chelsea would be desperate.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 20, 2018, 01:12:36 pm by ChrisBx »

To be fair Courtois kind of forced their hand and Bilbao (or whoever it was)m knew Chelsea would be desperate.

The fee for Kepa met his release clause.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 20, 2018, 01:54:03 pm by LincsRover »
When the premiership circus began in the nineties I thought the bubble would burst within a few years but it hasn't and it doesn't seem to me that it ever will now. It is now too big an animal to be allowed to fail and there are too many interwoven connected interests involved in ensuring that it rolls onwards. As much as I detest everything it means and all that it stands for the elite few will continue throwing absurd amounts of privileged funding around in their own self interest. I really do wish it would fall on its arse but fear that we are stuck with it. Really hope I'm wrong.

It depends how greedy players and the top clubs become in the future. They are sucking the money out of the game to the detriment of smaller clubs and fans. If the smaller, lower league clubs fail then the grass roots of English players don’t get into these teams. Combine the lack of ‘home grown talent’ with ridiculous prices to see a live game and I can see ‘real’ supporters missing from stadiums and the football ‘tourists’ not creating the same sort of atmospheres - that is what generates much of the excitement that sky needs to sell the game on tv. I can’t see it happening in the near future but I can see a time when it might.

Alternatively if sky, for one reason of another, decide enough is enough and stop pumping the cash in or the much touted Euro league happens, then many English clubs could get into trouble keeping up with the wage demands and debts.

I know, I’m probably living in cloud cuckoo land but I’d love to see it! Unfortunately, as always, the biggest would thrive & the rest would be left to rot - a bit like the lower leagues!

:evil:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 20, 2018, 03:14:16 pm by GazLaz »
“The bubble” hasn’t even started yet. The overseas TV rights are vastly under valued.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 20, 2018, 05:40:10 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

The fee for Kepa met his release clause.

think we need the whole facts here 

lets say we have 3 clubs involved in the goalkeeper triangle bilbao real madrid (or fake madrid as i like to call them ) and chelsea   in money terms bilbao were money winners and the other 2 money losers

On 22 January 2018, amidst heavy transfer speculation linking him to Real Madrid, Arrizabalaga renewed his contract – due to expire in June – until 2025.

think madrid could have had him for 25 million not sure whether pounds or euros

meaning theoretically chelsea could have had him for the same price if they knew courtois was moaning & wanting to go to madrid -- easy to say that after the event though

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 20, 2018, 06:15:06 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i was going to start a new thread on my old mate Lookman he's the kiddie Everton paid £11 million for was it last january 2017 with any normal club "except" "Charlton" that money could have been used to buy promotion if not the season before last - then last season

"Former" East German club  Leipzig (even former East German clubs "allegedly" have money now-adays) initially offered £12 million for him after he was on loan sky ticker say they have almost doubled the offer at a mere 22 million Neverton "allegedly"  want 30 million !!!

"RB Leipzig have made an improved £22m offer for Everton's Ademola Lookman.

Forward Lookman, 20, impressed on loan at Leipzig in the second half of last season.

And the Germans are refusing to give up on landing him permanently and have tabled a third bid which would break their transfer record.

Everton initially insisted he is not for sale but with Brazilian duo Richarlison and Bernard arriving this summer to increase competition for attacking places they softened their stance after talks with Lookman’s representatives and said they would let him go for £30m"

in a past life I remember when a countries finances were controlled by tulip bulbs -- this might be double dutch to some of you

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 20, 2018, 06:22:30 pm by RedJ »
All of your posts are double Dutch to everyone to be fair mate.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 21, 2018, 02:17:59 am by scawsby steve »
i was going to start a new thread on my old mate Lookman he's the kiddie Everton paid £11 million for was it last january 2017 with any normal club "except" "Charlton" that money could have been used to buy promotion if not the season before last - then last season

"Former" East German club  Leipzig (even former East German clubs "allegedly" have money now-adays) initially offered £12 million for him after he was on loan sky ticker say they have almost doubled the offer at a mere 22 million Neverton "allegedly"  want 30 million !!!

"RB Leipzig have made an improved £22m offer for Everton's Ademola Lookman.

Forward Lookman, 20, impressed on loan at Leipzig in the second half of last season.

And the Germans are refusing to give up on landing him permanently and have tabled a third bid which would break their transfer record.

Everton initially insisted he is not for sale but with Brazilian duo Richarlison and Bernard arriving this summer to increase competition for attacking places they softened their stance after talks with Lookman’s representatives and said they would let him go for £30m"

in a past life I remember when a countries finances were controlled by tulip bulbs -- this might be double dutch to some of you

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

A past life?; let me guess, Stanley Unwin?.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012