Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:11:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Grant McCann proud of the stats  (Read 2592 times)

South East Rover

• Forum Member
Grant McCann proud of the stats
« on December 20, 2018, 04:53:44 pm by South East Rover »
Meeting with Grant McCann earlier in the week, he immediately thrust out Post-It note with a big smile on his face. Fresh from a conversation with performance analyst Alex Bailey, the Doncaster Rovers boss was very keen to show off a list of stats about his side in comparison with the rest of League One. It read: - 4th for goals and expected goals (XG) - 2nd for shots - 1st for touches in the opposition box - 3rd for passes - 1st for through passes - 1st for passes into the final third It was easy to see why McCann was particularly pleased. The stats show that Rovers have so far this season delivered the style of football McCann was so keen to implement on his arrival in the summer. Ultra-attacking, ultra-positive, quick movement of the ball, getting men in advanced areas rapidly. Even through the sticky period of mid-October to mid-November, Rovers maintained the sort of attacking play to keep them among the elite in statistical terms.

“We build on that every day," McCann said. “A lot of work goes into that on the training ground and it will do again. “Those stats are probably team ones but we've got a lot of individual ones as well.” On those individual stats, McCann believes they can deliver a genuine boost of confidence for the players when they see themselves placed among the best in the division. James Coppinger - set to make his 600th appearance for the club this weekend when Rovers host Oxford United – is leading the way in League One when it comes to assists. “A lot of the individual stats are good as well,” McCann said. “John Marquis has had the most touches in the opposition box, Andy Butler's had the most blocks, Ben Whiteman is second only to Michael Doyle at Coventry in terms of passes and getting on the ball. “A lot of the boys look at these and it gives them confidence to try to get better as a team. “We know if we can do that then we can challenge anyone.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Grant McCann proud of the stats
« Reply #1 on December 20, 2018, 04:56:01 pm by mushRTID »
Biggest stat for me “1st for through passes”

We don’t piss around with it sideways and backwards anymore do we.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 20, 2018, 05:27:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's good but there's still work to do if we want to be a complete package. Occasionally  when we have to play the percentage ball from defence, the centre halves can do better in getting the ball down the channels and keeping it on the pitch, away from the keepers.

Quality of crossing. Seen some improvement lately when we have picked someone out with a cross or a cut back but there is room for improvement with too many blind crosses evading a hooped shirt.

Through the middle of the park though when on our game, we can move it very quickly and I reckon we must be up there for the amount of chances created and scored from open play.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 20, 2018, 05:29:53 pm by drfchound »
What we have improved on as well, which isn't mentioned, is the number of bodies we get in and around the box when we attack.
Last season, if we ever did get a player in behind the opposition defence, invariably we only had one player to try and pick out, usually marked by three defenders.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 20, 2018, 05:58:47 pm by Drover »
South east rover,that makes great reading and well done to all involved at Rovers.It's no more than they deserve.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 20, 2018, 09:26:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
Our football last few seasons has been poor - slow, ponderous, ineffective and unexiciting.

McCann is certainly naive at times but his football is 1000x better than the dirge of the last guy.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 20, 2018, 10:20:37 pm by GazLaz »
Those stats are only relevant if you ratio them with what you concede on the equivalent metric and trust me we are nowhere near top on any when you do that. For one example we rank about 9th on the xG ratio to put things in perspective over the season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 20, 2018, 11:18:16 pm by RoversAlias »
Surely they are still relevant, because it focuses on our play with the ball? Yes our defensive stats are important to but I don't see why we can't value and assess our own play on its own merits.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 20, 2018, 11:40:10 pm by since-1969 »
Biggest stat for me “1st for through passes”

We don’t piss around with it sideways and backwards anymore do we.
Wtf... there is only one stat and it says we’re 6th . Is there a stat for how many chances we DON’T convert . McCann is fascinated by this for why I can’t begin to fathom? At half time does preach about them or tell them to get the ball out quicker from the back and tell Marquises to stop winding up the ref etc etc . The score is the only stat that matters imo !!

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 20, 2018, 11:40:26 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Our football last few seasons has been poor - slow, ponderous, ineffective and unexiciting.

McCann is certainly naive at times but his football is 1000x better than the dirge of the last guy.

It was really ineffective when we got promotion a couple of seasons ago.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 21, 2018, 08:01:51 am by GazLaz »
Surely they are still relevant, because it focuses on our play with the ball? Yes our defensive stats are important to but I don't see why we can't value and assess our own play on its own merits.

I suppose it does indicate intent, it gives no indication of overall performance or success though.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 21, 2018, 08:02:13 am by Pancho Regan »
I'm dismayed by some of the negative responses on this thread.

For me these are very positive stats and a vindication of GM's commitment to a more expansive and attacking style of play.

Well done to GM and the players, I'm enjoying it!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 21, 2018, 09:50:44 am by selby »
  It is a well done from me as well Pancho, celebrate the positives still work to get better, and success will come, the whole club is moving forward, even the last manager achieved that, and left us in a better all round place.
  Grants job is to carry on the good work, and is doing it with a bit of flair.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2018, 09:58:13 am by idler »
Anybody not interested doesn't have to look at them, just look at the league table.
It would be interesting to compare this season with the same period last season and see where we stand comparatively.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 21, 2018, 10:05:29 am by graingrover »
I'm dismayed by some of the negative responses on this thread.

For me these are very positive stats and a vindication of GM's commitment to a more expansive and attacking style of play.

Well done to GM and the players, I'm enjoying it!
I agree ..if we did stats on here we have some of the best moaners in the league.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 21, 2018, 11:23:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Irrespective of the stats it's the most enjoyable football since the SO'D team at it's best!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 21, 2018, 11:49:38 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I can’t believe some of the comments on this thread. How anyone can complain about it is a mystery.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 21, 2018, 12:12:25 pm by Red wizard »
Irrespective of the stats it's the most enjoyable football since the SO'D team at it's best!
I will second that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 21, 2018, 04:06:12 pm by dickos1 »

It was really ineffective when we got promotion a couple of seasons ago.

Scoring a load more goals than anyone else in the league also

TinyPortal © 2005-2012