Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:47:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wilks  (Read 3407 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Wilks
« on December 30, 2018, 11:11:44 am by Branton Rover »
Apparently in the same situation Herbie was in prior to signing up again with Liverpool - a contractural dilemma putting his DRFC future in doubt - he’s here until 2/1/19 at least then who knows

He’s a talented boy still only young and still learning obviously. The question is how much of a blow would it be to lose him st this stage of the season - McCann may have anticipated this scenario hence the mystery man coming in

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Wilks
« Reply #1 on December 30, 2018, 11:27:50 am by selby »
  It would be a big blow, basically if we lost him, and not get another in, we would be left with only one forward capable of scoring goals in John Marquis.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 30, 2018, 11:30:25 am by IDM »
Did you read the DFP article.?

Basically GM has said Wilks needs to be sorted either way in the next few days. If he doesn’t extend, he will look for a replacement..

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 30, 2018, 11:38:07 am by karlos »
Let him go for me he is not consistent enough in my opinion.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 30, 2018, 11:42:13 am by bedale rover »
I like him he has a physicality that we usually don't posess

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 30, 2018, 11:46:40 am by NickDRFC »
A month ago I wouldn't have been that bothered, but he seems to have come back into form again so unless replaced it would be a loss.

Selby - May has scored goals this season and maybe given a run of games could get some in the league. Sadlier has seemingly been brought in to play in the front 3 and if he adapts he could score goals. And we're bringing in this striker from the Championship on loan. Wilks is certainly our biggest threat after Marquis but he's by no means the only other forward capable of scoring goals.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 30, 2018, 12:03:14 pm by RedJ »
And of course we have goals from midfield and even our defenders... Not as if no one else except Marquis scores is it?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 30, 2018, 12:20:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
GM said an interview before Christmas he wanted to add more goals to the team. That’s why he was aiming to sign Sadlier and one other. If Wilkes was not extended then he would have to find a replacement which he said he would do.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 30, 2018, 12:24:25 pm by RoversAlias »
  It would be a big blow, basically if we lost him, and not get another in, we would be left with only one forward capable of scoring goals in John Marquis.

Patently untrue, May is in double figures this season when you include the Checkatrade, as I know you do, and we have others with healthy returns from midfield such as Kane and Blair. Plus Sadlier to come in and the other new forward.

I agree with Nick, a month ago I was all for us sending Wilks back as he looked to have lost his way but he's come into form again now and perhaps McCann is getting more out of him. Certainly sounds like that was the case yesterday. So I hope he stays and kicks on, he obviously works well in our system and with our other forwards so that is preferable to us having to bed in a new player especially when we already have two new forwards to integrate.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 30, 2018, 12:51:26 pm by pib »
How many 20 year old L1 strikers/wingers are consistent? Coppinger wouldn't have lasted long in the early days if we didn't accept some inconsistency.

I say keep him. He's a big threat on his day and is our only forward with genuine pace.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 30, 2018, 12:58:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
How many 20 year old L1 strikers/wingers are consistent? Coppinger wouldn't have lasted long in the early days if we didn't accept some inconsistency.

I say keep him. He's a big threat on his day and is our only forward with genuine pace.

I believe the manager will keep him if he can. Sorting out at the Leeds end could effect decision making. If he has not signed his contract extension by Wednesday GM said he will look elsewhere but he sees him as getting better and in the end it’s the managers choice.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-in-warning-to-mallik-wilks-and-leeds-united-1-9513268/amp?__twitter_impression=true
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:14:03 pm by steve@dcfd »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 30, 2018, 02:33:21 pm by selby »
  RA, non league Chorley,Notts County, and Grimsby reserves are not league 1 standard defenders. He has scored 1 meaningful goal in a calender year in League1, happy anniversary I hope you enjoyed it.
   His energy and trying has much to commend, a goal scorer at our bred and butter level in the league unfortunately does not match the effort.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 30, 2018, 02:41:20 pm by RoversAlias »
Brilliant, even his goals in the FA Cup don't count to you now.

He also scored a terrific goal against Blackpool in the EFL Cup so even by your own stupid standards, he's scored 2 "real" goals in a year.

I dare say Alfie May could score a hat trick at Wembley in the Play Off Final and you'll still find a way to drag him down. You'll probably say Wilks made all the goals happen even if he was sat on the bench.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 30, 2018, 02:48:24 pm by RedJ »
So weird having such a massive grudge against one of your own club's players just because he's in your own mind pushed out one of your favourites hahahaha

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 30, 2018, 03:12:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Don't forget, Wilks had the trial hanging over his head which can't have helped. He looked to be really struggling and his body language reflected that.

He's picked up and started contributing again. He's showing signs of becoming more of a team player and actually looking up and bringing others in to play but there's still room for improvement.

I would rather keep him and see if he can continue that improvement under McCann.

From what I understand, May played a slightly different role yesterday and played very well linking up play and pressing hard. He will continue to be an asset for the rest of the season and let's hope he gets his reward with a few more goals.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 30, 2018, 03:22:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
...........and another year on his contract, DBR?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 30, 2018, 03:50:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Depends when it expires. Like others, he has to earn it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 30, 2018, 03:51:34 pm by selby »
  DBR, if Coppinger is fit and Wilks, who would you pick Tuesday? if we sign another striker, where will he be in the pecking order if all are fit?  if we get promotion, and he had scored a hat trick at Wembley in the playoff final to win the game, would you give him a contract to play in the Championship?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 30, 2018, 07:00:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
McCann says Rowe is unlikely to start on Tuesday as still managing his return but I wouldn't have any issues with the same front 3 of Marquis Wilks and May if that's what McCann decides to go with.

Too many ifs to consider there but if May continues to improve I would offer him another contract.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 30, 2018, 08:39:19 pm by drfchound »
Wilks is beginning to show good form again.
I thought he had a very good game at Gillingham and was persistently fouled as they struggled to contain him.

At his age and in his first, first team season, he will only get better with experience.
If he stays he is on track for at least a dozen league goals which is a pretty good return.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:52:36 pm by drfchound »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 30, 2018, 08:51:34 pm by GazLaz »
He’s definitely improved since his court appears.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 30, 2018, 11:29:57 pm by dknward2 »
Hopefully he sorts his contract out tomorrow (mon) and extends his loan with us for him to get his play off winners medal.

Still think it's odd leeds offering him a new contract if they expect to be in the premiership next season, while I think he could be a very good player I don't see him as a premiership player

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 30, 2018, 11:35:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, but they may need U23 players to play in the Checkatrade at least!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 31, 2018, 12:10:25 am by RedJ »
Hopefully he sorts his contract out tomorrow (mon) and extends his loan with us for him to get his play off winners medal.

Still think it's odd leeds offering him a new contract if they expect to be in the premiership next season, while I think he could be a very good player I don't see him as a premiership player
They've got to, even if he turns it down that way they'll still get a fee.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 31, 2018, 05:35:28 am by Alan Southstand »
I thought I had read, some time ago, an article that had the manager saying that Wilks' situation was not the same as Kane's?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 31, 2018, 09:38:15 am by roversdude »
I think he offers some pace and power, he is definitely progressing and I’d keep him and look at signing permanently

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 01, 2019, 10:53:32 am by ravenrover »
All sorted, here till end of season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012