Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:20:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic FA cup tie  (Read 9294 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic FA cup tie
« on January 20, 2019, 03:54:40 pm by selby »
  A rare occasion in a competition that has not that many happy memories for the club and our supporters.
  As my mate noted yesterday there will be not that many, if any of our present supporters who will have even ever seen us play in the 5th round of the competition, the last occasion being away at Birmingham City in a game we lost to the eventual finalists in February 1955, so if we win against Oldham, and the prize money is a big incentive to the club, and with bonus's to the players as well, it will be a big feather in the present management's and players cap.
  Unusually for us in a cup competition I suppose you could say we go into this game as favourites, being as we play in a higher division, are at home, and are , and generally are in good form and have been playing well. But I am sure that our older supporters like myself, have doubts having seen us fail to overcome luminaries like Frickley in the past, and more recently like last season Rochdale only a few days after comprehensibly beating them in a league game only a few days before.
  The Oldham supporters however have enjoyed good times in this competition  in the not too distant past doing well against Liverpool in a televised game after dumping us out in the earlier rounds that season and were the toast of the 3 rd round this season dumping premiership Fulham out  and beating them on their own ground in London, taking a large following to the game, which looks like being repeated at the Keepmoat, where they can expect to be backed by some enthusiastic support in large numbers.
   They are currently under the stewardship of a temporary manager, who until this week had steadied the ship, and including cup games had turned results around.
   Are you going to the game, or are you one of the new breed of supporter  that does not see the FA cup as important?
  Do you see us as hot favourites to progress to the next round?
  Smith is cup tied, Hopefully Herbie will be fit to play, what lineup would you pick for this game?
  Oldham supporters are travelling in large numbers, do you expect our home support to be higher than normal?
  If we are lucky enough to progress, would you like to draw one of the top premiership sides away or at home in round five?
  How important, and how would you like the prize money to be used  by the club if we can win the game?
  Would you like to see us go out of the competition at this stage and concentrate on the effort for a top six finish in the league?
  Do you think getting through this round will hinder or help our top six finish aspirations?
  Are we likely to come up against a new manager in his first game in charge?
  Lots of questions to be answered, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oldham Athletic FA cup tie
« Reply #1 on January 20, 2019, 04:10:23 pm by RoversAlias »
We have to win this game, best chance we'll surely get to reach the 5th Round in many years. I expect McCann will play the strongest team he can, May has to start for me and I'd probably bring him in for Rowe and move Coppinger back into midfield like we did yesterday, if we can dictate the ball we can punish Oldham early.

Possibly Kane for Crawford too if he's fit, but I'm not sure. Hope we have the luxury of the options available to us.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 20, 2019, 04:28:21 pm by selby »
   RA, we have to try and win this game in my opinion, and I am sure that will be the the attitude of the management, as far as what team to play, if Mason is fully fit I would play  him at fullback and bring Herbie Kane in for Tommy allowing us to bring on Tommy and Blair later in the game if we have to chase the game, and would start with Wilks and Marquis as the strikers, and please if it is a tight game leave Coppinger on for the full game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 20, 2019, 05:11:47 pm by Donnywolf »
Simply a must win game. They beat Fulham in the last Round (dont know how strong Fulham went) so fair play

They will be no mugs but neither are WE

We will go strongest side we have and (no s*** Sherlock warning) will comfortably win if we take the chances that we will / should  make !

I will be disappointed and surprised if we do not win "with ease" - and get to the 5th Round for the 5th time in my lifetime (all 4 in early to late 50s)
How does that Maouche stand Ban wise after getting sent of v Macclesfield yesterday ?

Come on Rovers - make and take the chances 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:14:43 pm by Donnywolf »

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 20, 2019, 05:29:54 pm by curley »
Is Butler suspended for this one under the new rules this year? :rtid:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 20, 2019, 05:35:31 pm by Donnywolf »
Just been looking at the FA Disciplinary and there are 4 Players in there and Andy (no surname) is suspended for one game so I presume - yep its him !

Thats why I asked about Maouche of Oldham but he has not turned up on there yet. There are some strange rules sometimes so hoping he is banned but probably not. Fancy Oldham getting a Ref who actually got his Cards out - as Maouche got 2 Yellows (might make a difference ???)

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions
Press Competition Specific tab
Blair - Mason - Anderson - Andrew ?
Providing Blair is ok after their Number 11 tried to bring him down late on. MB went mad with him but then spent last few minutes looking uncomfortable
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:42:00 pm by Donnywolf »

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 20, 2019, 06:03:51 pm by donnievic »
I think there lad will be suspended seeing how Hylton for Luton got sent off in a league game and had to miss the sheff wed replay aswell as 3 league games

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 20, 2019, 07:40:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian the last time we played in the 5th round was in Feb 1956 v Spurs lost 0-2.
Remember it well ( not ) as i was 9 months old!!!
You though have no excuse for forgetting. I will forgive you.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 20, 2019, 07:47:00 pm by besty »
Is it all ticket?
If it isnt is it discounted to get the stadium fullish?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 20, 2019, 07:48:04 pm by drfchound »
Is it all ticket?
If it isnt is it discounted to get the stadium fullish?

Tickets well priced at £10 per adult and £5 concessions.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 20, 2019, 07:51:29 pm by besty »
Must have missed that,thank you
Will be disappointing if we dont get at least 10000 with oldham bringing that many at that price

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 20, 2019, 07:56:10 pm by drfchound »
Must have missed that,thank you
Will be disappointing if we dont get at least 10000 with oldham bringing that many at that price

I have been saying since the draw was made that Oldham will probably fill the away end (though a few people disagreed).
If we get our regular 7000 home fans we should get at least 10000 in the ground.
With the supporters initiative of “bring a friend” it could be quite a few more.
So hopefully we will have a good atmosphere and plenty of noise in the KM on Saturday.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 20, 2019, 08:04:15 pm by The Red Baron »
Butler is suspended for Saturday's game having picked up two cautions in the FA Cup this season.

Yellow cards are competition-specific. Red cards are not, so the Oldham player sent off yesterday will also miss Saturday's game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 20, 2019, 08:09:08 pm by drfchound »
Butler is suspended for Saturday's game having picked up two cautions in the FA Cup this season.

Yellow cards are competition-specific. Red cards are not, so the Oldham player sent off yesterday will also miss Saturday's game.

Anderson and Mason at CB then on Saturday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 20, 2019, 08:15:42 pm by drfchound »
   RA, we have to try and win this game in my opinion, and I am sure that will be the the attitude of the management, as far as what team to play, if Mason is fully fit I would play  him at fullback and bring Herbie Kane in for Tommy allowing us to bring on Tommy and Blair later in the game if we have to chase the game, and would start with Wilks and Marquis as the strikers, and please if it is a tight game leave Coppinger on for the full game.

Because Andy Butler is suspended for the cup game I would expect us to have Anderson alongside Mason as CBs.
Blair at RB again.
If fit, Kane will be a shoe in, probably in place of Rowe.
Based on Saturdays performances I think Wilks will be rested and May will start.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 20, 2019, 08:17:53 pm by Donnybob »
I've just posted on the pinned attendance post, by my reckoning there are 2418 tickets ĺeft in the home end as of tonight which equates to 7600 sold (approx). Oldham are confident of selling their 3000 initial allocation and possibly more so as things stand we're currently looking at an eleven-plus gate, potentially more if folk get behind the challenge.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 20, 2019, 08:22:21 pm by selby »
Paul, should have remembered that game, it was the first game I ever went to by myself without my dad taking me. I can remember getting Ted Ditchburns autograph and I think Hopkins before the game in front of the old main stand.
   I think I left Askern about 10 am to go and stand outside the ground to try and get autographs.  Ditchburn did not play in the game though, but was at the ground.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:33:57 pm by selby »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 20, 2019, 09:34:08 pm by scawsby steve »

Anderson and Mason at CB then on Saturday.

Yes mate, and if Mason plays like he did at CB in the Barnsley game there will be no problems.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 20, 2019, 10:45:20 pm by roversontheup »
If, as expected, Oldham sell all their allocation then the game will be made 'All tickets'.  Its worth passing on to those who usually rock up on the day.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 20, 2019, 10:55:37 pm by Donnybob »
Great point.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 20, 2019, 11:34:31 pm by dknward2 »
Are you going to the game, or are you one of the new breed of supporter  that does not see the FA cup as important?
Going and love the F.A. cup we’ll when we are in it

Do you see us as hot favourites to progress to the next round?
Play like the first half v burton then no, play like 2nd half then easy.

Smith is cup tied, Hopefully Herbie will be fit to play, what lineup would you pick for this game?
Bring herbie in for Rowe, mason in for butler if he is banned, and may in for Wilkes

Oldham supporters are travelling in large numbers, do you expect our home support to be higher than normal?
Yes expect at least 7,000 home and expecting Oldham to sell out.

If we are lucky enough to progress, would you like to draw one of the top premiership sides away or at home in round five?
Not bothered who we get tbh

How important, and how would you like the prize money to be used  by the club if we can win the game? Very important, should be using to get the team read for the championship

Would you like to see us go out of the competition at this stage and concentrate on the effort for a top six finish in the league?
Think if we win it will help push us on for securing top 6

Do you think getting through this round will hinder or help our top six finish aspirations?
As above

Are we likely to come up against a new manager in his first game in charge?
Yes sorry to say

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 21, 2019, 08:56:24 am by normal rules »
I don’t know if it was a mistake getting the donnybob challenge pinned as it may pass people over. With poss just 2500 home tickets left it looks like this game is attracting some non regulars.
Please do your best to take a few extra along with you and post your numbers on here as it had helped create some cup fever and more ticket sales. It’s already looking like a five figure gate. Let’s sell out the home seats for what could be a historic day in rovers recent history.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 21, 2019, 08:56:53 am by selby »
  If like all the publicity is pointing at Paul Scholes is announced as the manager of Oldham then this tie will take on a whole new level of a cup tie with the publicity it will attract.
  It will certainly give the away following a lift, and could affect their build up to the tie. I cannot see him accepting the job without assurances about investment by the owners, and that could go two ways with the present  playing staff, who may think that other players will be brought in to take their places.
   They have already undergone quite a turnover of players since last season, and like ourselves have had something of an up and down season, but have done well in cup competitions, which has probably allowed them to get a couple of new players in, one of whom scored at Macclesfield one minute into his debut.
   The media will now look on this tie as a whole new ball game, with the majority of it hoping they have a good Oldham story linked to Scholes next Saturday evening.
    Lets hope we can be the party poopers, and spoil their headlines.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:59:15 am by selby »

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 21, 2019, 10:47:58 am by CantleyRed »
I don’t know if it was a mistake getting the donnybob challenge pinned as it may pass people over. With poss just 2500 home tickets left it looks like this game is attracting some non regulars.
Please do your best to take a few extra along with you and post your numbers on here as it had helped create some cup fever and more ticket sales. It’s already looking like a five figure gate. Let’s sell out the home seats for what could be a historic day in rovers recent history.
Yes, I wondered where that had gone. Never look up there! Wonder if our total sold includes season ticket holder reserved seating to or are seats not being held? Just a +1 from me but every little helps!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 21, 2019, 11:16:48 am by Donnywolf »
Our total usually (for League Games) counts STH's seats as "sold"

That is how they started selling the Oldham Game because STH Seats are reserved until a certain time - and preumably that time has passed because it looks like the Reserved Seats have been "released" and  put back on the system this morning for general sale

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 21, 2019, 11:20:02 am by wing commander »
I've got to be honest and say I'm not a huge fan of Matty Blair playing right back,but I guess with Butler suspended and Wright not match fit that's what it will be...

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 21, 2019, 11:25:13 am by Donnybob »
Weird. Just checked the ticket availability for Saturday and the numbers have changed dramatically. In one section where just 5 seats were available there are now over a hundred. Maybe our sales are far less than anticipated. Be embarassing to be outnumbered! :(

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 21, 2019, 11:29:54 am by Donnywolf »
No they have just added back the Season Ticket Holders Seats who have not bought them - they had till sometime yesterday to reserve their own Seats

When they dont they get released for general sale
Currently we have sold about 3k but General Sale will see a rush from today

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 21, 2019, 11:32:47 am by Donnybob »
Oldham have just tweeted their initial allocation of 3000 tickets has almost gone and they will be receiving a further 800 later today. Great support for a League Two club.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 21, 2019, 11:40:12 am by Donnywolf »
Just PM d you

TinyPortal © 2005-2012