Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:03:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Corners  (Read 1695 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Corners
« on March 13, 2019, 11:05:41 am by wing commander »
    One thing that has really stood out for me in the second half of this season is how absolutely woeful we are at long corners.Now I'm not going to single out anybody for this because I've seen a few have a go at it and nobody can seem to do anything other than hit the first man or float one in which is easy to defend..
    You would think that professional footballers would be able to kick a ball over the head of the first defender more times than not but it does seem to be a hard ask for us.I was glad Butler is back in the team because he gives us more of a threat from corners and has notched a few,but there's no point in him coming up from the back only to see the ball hit the first man.In fact it wouldn't shock me if we actually concede more than we score from our own corners by being caught on the break...
    Really something we need to sort it out because in tight games set pieces can make the difference..They were are best chance against Palace and couldn't muster one good one and the trend is continuing..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Corners
« Reply #1 on March 13, 2019, 11:25:08 am by idler »
Why don't we position someone in front of their first man.
He might get a flick on or just stop the defender getting an easy clearance.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 13, 2019, 11:33:41 am by Bezza »
Not just us a lot of the premiership teams also struggle to get it past the 1st man 

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 13, 2019, 12:26:55 pm by rover-n-out »
On another matter, I can't remember the last time I saw Danny Andrew throw a long ball into the oppo's area from the sideline. He was really good at that when he first came to us, so I wonder if it caused him some type of injury, or McCann has stopped him doing it.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 13, 2019, 02:27:29 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
The last corner in stoppage time last night was ridiculously poor. Last minute, score and we win, and it went into the side netting....

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 13, 2019, 02:33:21 pm by selby »
  The fact it was taken into a gale and the gale bent the ball about five meters had nothing to do with it going behind then OML.  Just a bad corner.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 13, 2019, 02:39:05 pm by GazLaz »
We score following a corner last night.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 13, 2019, 02:40:37 pm by wing commander »
  The fact it was taken into a gale and the gale bent the ball about five meters had nothing to do with it going behind then OML.  Just a bad corner.

But does that explain the poor quality we show from delivery's the rest of the time Selby

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 13, 2019, 02:40:59 pm by wing commander »
We score following a corner last night.

Which is why I said Long corners..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 13, 2019, 02:43:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
For a few seasons now I've been more concerned about our corners leading to the opposition breaking away and scoring than expecting us to score. In fact, It'd be interesting to see the stats regarding it. Corners have certainly not been a strong part of our game over the last few seasons.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 13, 2019, 03:12:33 pm by RoversAlias »
I can't remember many times recently where we've actually conceded from our own corner. That must be quite rare, maybe only once or twice a season? Somebody might have the stats.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 13, 2019, 03:16:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
We maybe only score from corners once or twice a season also!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 13, 2019, 03:18:24 pm by Draytonian III »
Stoke
Cardiff
Wembley
Scored from corners at these grounds

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 13, 2019, 04:55:50 pm by glosterred »
Statistically do we concede or score more or less than other teams in this division from corners and free kicks?

COYR

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 14, 2019, 02:50:24 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

The wind was blowing away from the goal....

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 14, 2019, 03:16:55 pm by selby »
  OML, it was not the linesman even had to hold the spring corner flag up because it was blowing back at the corner taker and obstructing him.
    Because of the stadium stands the wind was swirling into that corner of the field, and into the faces of our fans behind that goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012