Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game  (Read 7614 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« on April 20, 2019, 09:52:58 am by selby »
  A reaction, that is what we need after that poor display, against a team that at their place earlier in the season just out fought us in a game, and on the night wanted it more than us, so thinking it will be easy and a given can be dispelled straight away.
  What team will we put out? who will play? it is any ones guess to me, but whoever plays they have to perform, and a decent fair to both teams referee would help.
  No rambling on today, I am more interested in your opinions on this game.
  Lot's of questions to answer about the game, and what your opinions are, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2019, 09:57:51 am by DonnyOsmond »
4-2-3-1 please

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2019, 10:07:45 am by Colemans Left Hook »
now i've corrected my mistake posted elsewhere......

Summing up Rovers have one more day to recover from the Sundie loss than Accringeton will have to recover from the TV game with Luton & of course they will put in 110% effort today.   By the way AFC Wimbledon will also have an extra day before they play Luton.

If Accies can get at least a point they that will make Sunderland & Portsmouth think they even have a chance of the title  and make it harder for Peterb

well that's the theory

it wasn't that long since i suggested Rovers would finish above Portsmouth (after that long string of defeats) and people were agreeing with me  :suicide:

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2019, 10:27:09 am by glosterred »
Think I’d start the game with the same team that started the second half, they where a vast improvement on the one that started the first half.

COYR

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2019, 10:33:03 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Think I’d start the game with the same team that started the second half, they where a vast improvement on the one that started the first half.

...although they'd be a little tired after already having played 45 mins.

I'd have the team that started the first half and swap in the subs from the start, there's more in the tank that way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:34:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2019, 12:38:56 pm by steve@dcfd »
The team for Tuesday

Marosi
Blair. Downing. Anderson Andrew
        Whiteman.  Kane
  Wilks.     Copps.      Rowe
              Marquis

If Whiteman is not fit playCrawford.
I’ve picked Anderson because I believe Butler was poor against Wykes.

Enough quality in the side hopefully get the required result. Of course stubborn GM will stick with 433 and play Copps on the left where he is less affective

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2019, 12:46:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
It would be good if everyone just 'turns up' and we don't have a repeat of yesterday!

Tactics need sorting for the Oxford away game, but that's for later.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2019, 01:18:33 pm by selby »
Glosterred, you would seriously start May? what for? and Who for? 
    We were better in the second half admittedly, mainly due to Crawford and Rowe playing better in midfield, but, apart from a comical jump attempt to head the ball, I cannot think of one thing he did to improve our game.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:26:08 pm by selby »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2019, 01:37:07 pm by ravenrover »
I see somewhere that someone thought that Rowe was MoM against Sunderland, was he actually on the pitch?
Rowe on the bench for me Crawford to start.
My opinion for what it's worth is that we will only be 1 point in front of Peterboro come Tuesday night so whatever team he puts out they are going to have to perform far better than they did Friday.
Don't forget we blame Fergie for the collapse at the end of each season but quite a few of these players were here then and played their part in these collapses hope the end this season is not a repeat of the last few

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2019, 01:45:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
    We were better in the second half admittedly, mainly due to Crawford and Rowe playing better in midfield, but, apart from a comical jump attempt to head the ball, I cannot think of one thing he did to improve our game.

May has scored 2 in 33 league appearances this season. We need to win on Saturday and to do that we need to score a goal(s). May should not be starting.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2019, 03:03:49 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
... quite a few of these players were here then and played their part in these collapses hope the end this season is not a repeat of the last few
4 wins in 5 games is good, fantastic, champion style, superdooper. Jeeez... how can you even be thinking about a collapse? Dare yuo walk out your front door?  :boxing: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :woot: :scarf:

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 20, 2019, 03:15:22 pm by jackthelad »
Let’s just get the win, I don’t care if it flies in off Andy Butlers arse in the 97th minute to be honest. One more win should almost seal it.

Hopefully results on Monday go in our favour too.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 20, 2019, 03:28:23 pm by glosterred »

For the two that went off, Copps and Whiteman. May showed more energy than Copps did. He was more willing to chase and harry than Copps is. You can always bring on Copps for the last 30 mins if need be

COYR

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2019, 03:40:14 pm by ravenrover »
... quite a few of these players were here then and played their part in these collapses hope the end this season is not a repeat of the last few
4 wins in 5 games is good, fantastic, champion style, superdooper. Jeeez... how can you even be thinking about a collapse? Dare yuo walk out your front door?  :boxing: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :woot: :scarf:
I dare walk out the door but only after I've sent the missus out first to check that it's OK😉
I'm afraid I've supported The Rovers for a long time and have been let down too many times to be an optimist

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2019, 03:52:30 pm by grayx »

May has scored 2 in 33 league appearances this season. We need to win on Saturday and to do that we need to score a goal(s). May should not be starting.

Sorry, but I’ve lost what little faith i had in Alfie May coming good. I just dont see what he offers apart from running round chasing shadows. Surely we’ve got better options.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2019, 04:00:28 pm by deebee »
Still need 4 points by my reckoning. Peterborough are 4 points behind with 4 to go IF they lose on Monday and we win on Tuesday they will be 7 behind but still have 3 to go. So a potential of 9 points. We will still need another win or hope they lose another match. It is still in our hands but 6 points still required from our last 3 games to be sure.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 20, 2019, 04:36:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Two of their four games are against Sunderland and Portsmouth - the latter of which has won 9 of their last 10.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2019, 04:51:34 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
............... It is still in our hands but 6 points still required from our last 3 games to be sure.
‘Fraud not, deebee. To be absolutely sure of being in the play offs we need to win all of our remaining 3 games.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 20, 2019, 04:55:07 pm by selby »
  Sunderland marked Coppinger tight like every team in this division does in the first half.
  Their fullbacks were the main difference in the two teams,steady when in possession, kept a good shape and when not in possession placed themselves between the ball and their goal and were good tacklers, and when they played the ball forward played the easy ball down the channels into space for their wide players.
  In the second half their left back had an easy ride with May on, and could afford to play a little more forward off May and cover more central and narrower, May was easy meat for him posing no threat, and not getting the ball into the area at all.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 20, 2019, 05:23:24 pm by StocktonRover »
  Sunderland marked Coppinger tight like every team in this division does in the first half.
  Their fullbacks were the main difference in the two teams,steady when in possession, kept a good shape and when not in possession placed themselves between the ball and their goal and were good tacklers, and when they played the ball forward played the easy ball down the channels into space for their wide players.
  In the second half their left back had an easy ride with May on, and could afford to play a little more forward off May and cover more central and narrower, May was easy meat for him posing no threat, and not getting the ball into the area at all.
I could have swore that May got goalside of the defender and got a foot to the ball just before the advancing keeper blocked it on the edge of the box?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 20, 2019, 05:31:21 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
............... It is still in our hands but 6 points still required from our last 3 games to be sure.
‘Fraud not, deebee. To be absolutely sure of being in the play offs we need to win all of our remaining 3 games.

Actually, if ‘borough lose 3 of their last 4 games, then we can also be certain of going up.............just saying!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 20, 2019, 06:05:32 pm by Campsall rover »
Let’s just get the win, I don’t care if it flies in off Andy Butlers arse in the 97th minute to be honest. One more win should almost seal it.

One more win will not seal it even if Peterborough lose to Sunderland.
If they win then then there is a fair chance it could go down to the last game.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 20, 2019, 06:13:18 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Accrington playing at the moment with 10 men are going to be right knackered for Tuesday but beware
Accies have had 20 penalties this season (17 scored) 2nd out of 92 clubs --  crystal palace have 21 penalties - have the most due to that professional diver "a.k.a. Zaha"i

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 20, 2019, 06:15:32 pm by NewDonny »
Your right, but it will be very welcome and will edge us closer to the play offs.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 20, 2019, 07:58:39 pm by scawsby steve »
  A reaction, that is what we need after that poor display, against a team that at their place earlier in the season just out fought us in a game, and on the night wanted it more than us, so thinking it will be easy and a given can be dispelled straight away.
  What team will we put out? who will play? it is any ones guess to me, but whoever plays they have to perform, and a decent fair to both teams referee would help.
  No rambling on today, I am more interested in your opinions on this game.
  Lot's of questions to answer about the game, and what your opinions are, Please have your say.

Well Brian, the big question for me is whether or not today's events at Stanley will have a bearing on Tuesday's game. They had their goalie sent off, a player stretchered off, and were ran ragged for much of the game, having to play a team as good as Luton with only 10 men on the field.

Will all of this make them vulnerable against us, or bring about a reaction? Jonny Maxted will be playing against his old club, and that can often inspire a player to have a good game.

Also, of course, they're still nowhere near safe from relegation, and will be determined and commited.

However, our home form is brilliant just now, and a complete contrast to our away form. I think we'll have enough to see them off.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 20, 2019, 09:52:50 pm by drfchound »

For the two that went off, Copps and Whiteman. May showed more energy than Copps did. He was more willing to chase and harry than Copps is. You can always bring on Copps for the last 30 mins if need be

COYR

But for a good save by the Sunderland keeper, May could have scored.
Funny how the memory blocks stuff people don’t want to remember.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 20, 2019, 11:01:50 pm by jackthelad »

One more win will not seal it even if Peterborough lose to Sunderland.
If they win then then there is a fair chance it could go down to the last game.

No but if they lose to Sunderland and we win Tuesday it will “almost seal it.”
That scenario would mean Peterborough would need us to lose our remaining 2 games and they would need to win there remaining 3 including Vs Portsmouth.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 20, 2019, 11:55:20 pm by Paul Simpson »
The whole team were very poor at Sunderland imo. May has done remarkably well to play in this league. He’s not had much in the way of opportunity to be fair to him? I really don’t know if he’s progressing this season but he certainly puts in plenty of effort. I’m not sure now if we’re a good enough team to go up but what a great season it has been!! 😀

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 21, 2019, 02:08:45 pm by selby »
 Steve, I watched the Luton v Accrington game, they are no push overs, keep a shape, do not try to do what they cannot do, and have some decent players.
  That game looked to have taken a lot out of them however, and injuries and sending off's don't normally help the situation.
  To me they visibly tired in the last quarter, but were doing a lot of ball chasing against a rampant Luton side who did the same to us.
  It is up to us, and the way we play, if we play well we should win, and we currently have every incentive to do so.
  The team selection will be interesting, but I and we should just trust Grant to get it right and that we finish in the top six, which I think we will.
  Regardless of that, it has been a season to enjoy, which I have.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 23, 2019, 09:14:06 am by selby »
 Reading the Accrington forum, most of the posters expect them  come looking for a draw, being defensive and trying to frustrate and hit us on a counter attack.
 Just the kind of tactics we have struggled to overcome in past games, so an early goal again would be just the ticket again in tonight's game.
   Every time we have played them since they came back into the league they have looked a well drilled unit, and have been hard to break down, with decent strong central defenders.
  Maxted will want to impress, and going forward they caused us trouble in the earlier fixture at Accrington, although we missed chances in that game to get at least a point.
  So not an easy game, but I am hoping as that we can rise to the occasion  and get a win, we are a better football side than them, and if we play well we will win, to do so we will have to overcome Accrington's efforts to try and stop us, getting in front is the key, and our crowd not getting nervous but getting behind the team and spurring them on will help.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012