Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 03:07:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Messi  (Read 7344 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Messi
« Reply #30 on May 09, 2019, 08:04:53 pm by drfchound »
Messi would not and I repeat would not perform like he does week in week out at Barca in the prem. When you play 2 3 games per week and have to be on top of your game every week getting knocks and playing on like you have to over here. Even pep didn't realise how tough it was going to be and he has said that. His first season  showed him that. Still a great player but he isn't the athlete Ronaldo is. And that's why he's never come to play in the best league in the world.

To be fair, our PL players don’t play three games a week.
If they play, say Saturday then Tuesday, the following Saturday is in the following week.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 09, 2019, 08:06:09 pm by Boomstick »
Messi all too often goes missing in games to be considered the goat

Ronaldo is not only the goat, but he is a true leader.
If he played for barcalona, he would have dragged them into the final himself

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 09, 2019, 08:23:33 pm by NickDRFC »

How come he didn’t manage to drag Juventus to even the semi final this year?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 09, 2019, 10:22:39 pm by RoversAlias »
They play the same number of games at Barcelona in a season as they do here. It's an absolute myth and we'll never see the proof, but Messi would score a boatload in the Premier League and be a huge success. He is world class whether he's playing against Man City, Mallorca or bloody Mexborough.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 09, 2019, 10:25:41 pm by Retdon1 »
Messi is the best player currently playing... not even a contest

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 09, 2019, 10:45:18 pm by Boomstick »

Thought that one was easy, even for you.
Barcelona have better players, and it was a completely different fixture. I wasn't talking about the juve match 

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 10, 2019, 09:20:38 am by ravenrover »
They play the same number of games at Barcelona in a season as they do here. It's an absolute myth and we'll never see the proof, but Messi would score a boatload in the Premier League and be a huge success. He is world class whether he's playing against Man City, Mallorca or bloody Mexborough.
Yep you are right we’ll never know if he would be rubbish in the prem

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 10, 2019, 09:30:32 am by NickDRFC »

Barcelona have better players, and it was a completely different fixture. I wasn't talking about the juve match 

- Do Barcelona have better players? Possibly but it’s debatable, in the past 3 years Juve have reached the semis and the final, whereas this was the first time in 4 years that Barça have even made the semis. They’re a shadow of the team they were 5 years ago and their continued (domestic) success is largely down to Messi
- Even if Barça are better than Juve, Messi was playing against a much better team in Liverpool. Lucas Moura did what Ronaldo couldn’t and dragged Spurs through against Ajax - does that mean he’s better than both of them?
- The only reason that Barcelona were in such a good position in the first place was because of Messi. His performance at the Nou Camp gave them that 3 goal cushion, so to accuse him of going missing completely negates his impact in the first half of the tie.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 10, 2019, 09:35:21 am by Filo »
Messi needs top quality players around him to perform consistantly, thats why he goes missing in Argentina games, no doubt he’s a great player, but he would n’t play a whole season over here, he’d get injured and kicked out of games in the PL

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 10, 2019, 09:37:31 am by NickDRFC »
Messi needs top quality players around him to perform consistantly, thats why he goes missing in Argentina games, no doubt he’s a great player, but he would n’t play a whole season over here, he’d get injured and kicked out of games in the PL

If it's so easy to stop him, why haven't the English teams figured that out in the Champions League?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 10, 2019, 10:11:48 am by NewDonny »
Anyone that has played the game at a reasonable level will instantly recognise that Messi is an outstanding talent and without doubt there is no one better in the world right now. Comments on here about him "going missing in games," "would not survive in the EPL", and my favourite; "apart from 3-4 teams he is playing in a league in Spain that is no better than the English Championship," are frankly utterly ridiculous.

How can anyone with his total of goals and assists have gone missing in games? How do you know what he would be like in the EPL, we don't play 3 games a week over here, its 2 and he plays the same amount of games across at Barcelona in a league that is just as physical and demanding but more technical. Messi makes things look easy which is the mark of a top, top player!

Healthy debate is great, but some of the comments on here are just truly rediculous made up rubbish or hypothesis from people who I seriously doubt have ever kicked a football in their lives.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 10, 2019, 11:11:28 am by Boomstick »

- Do Barcelona have better players? Possibly but it’s debatable, in the past 3 years Juve have reached the semis and the final, whereas this was the first time in 4 years that Barça have even made the semis. They’re a shadow of the team they were 5 years ago and their continued (domestic) success is largely down to Messi
- Even if Barça are better than Juve, Messi was playing against a much better team in Liverpool. Lucas Moura did what Ronaldo couldn’t and dragged Spurs through against Ajax - does that mean he’s better than both of them?
- The only reason that Barcelona were in such a good position in the first place was because of Messi. His performance at the Nou Camp gave them that 3 goal cushion, so to accuse him of going missing completely negates his impact in the first half of the tie.
Can you conceivably see Ronaldo going missing in the 2nd leg like Messi did?
Can you imagine Ronaldo sulking and crying afterwards like Messi? I can't.

For those reasons Messi (imo) simply can't be considered the goat.
Ronaldo for me. (just my opinion of course)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 10, 2019, 11:20:37 am by Herman Hessian »
Messi would not and I repeat would not perform like he does week in week out at Barca in the prem. When you play 2 3 games per week and have to be on top of your game every week getting knocks and playing on like you have to over here.

it's therefore safe to say that he'd be an even worse player in league one or two; shite pitches, even more playing time, thuggish opponents, indifferent officiating, the archetypal "tuesday night in november away at Rochdale" effect

wonder if that works in reverse; take a journeyman player out of L2 and put him in to messi's elevated sphere of endeavour with all the cossetting and coaching that goes with it - they could be redefined as a world-beater; i always maintain that we never really saw the best of lewis guy simply because he was hampered by his surroundings...

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 10, 2019, 11:35:03 am by NickDRFC »

Can you conceivably see Ronaldo going missing in the 2nd leg like Messi did?
Can you imagine Ronaldo sulking and crying afterwards like Messi? I can't.

For those reasons Messi (imo) simply can't be considered the goat.
Ronaldo for me. (just my opinion of course)

Fair point, you'd never see Ronaldo sulking or crying. I must have missed the memo, though, that says that to be a great sportsman you must never cry.

On a completely unrelated topic, here's a picture from this season's champions league.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 10, 2019, 11:40:08 am by Boomstick »
That looks to me like he's screaming out of frustration and passion. Not being a shrinking violet like Messi at times.

I 100 percent agree that Messi couldn't hack it in England, he simply doesn't have the mentality for it.
Could he cope with getting hacked at against teams like Burnley away on a cold rainy Tuesday night, no chance.
It's why balotelli couldn't hack it

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 10, 2019, 12:29:02 pm by IDM »
Pure speculation and you know it..

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 10, 2019, 12:54:31 pm by Boomstick »
Pure speculation and you know it..
Yeah, it's just my opinion

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 10, 2019, 02:13:27 pm by ravenrover »
Anyone that has played the game at a reasonable level will instantly recognise that Messi is an outstanding talent and without doubt there is no one better in the world right now. Comments on here about him "going missing in games," "would not survive in the EPL", and my favourite; "apart from 3-4 teams he is playing in a league in Spain that is no better than the English Championship," are frankly utterly ridiculous.

How can anyone with his total of goals and assists have gone missing in games? How do you know what he would be like in the EPL, we don't play 3 games a week over here, its 2 and he plays the same amount of games across at Barcelona in a league that is just as physical and demanding but more technical. Messi makes things look easy which is the mark of a top, top player!

Healthy debate is great, but some of the comments on here are just truly rediculous made up rubbish or hypothesis from people who I seriously doubt have ever kicked a football in their lives.
So what you are saying is healthy debate is OK as long as they agree with your opinion or who have kicked a football otherwise they don’t know what they are talking about, is that a fair summary?
Some people heh just making “rediculous” comments obviously know nothing about football and just out of interest your playing career was what?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 10, 2019, 04:01:00 pm by NewDonny »

So what you are saying is healthy debate is OK as long as they agree with your opinion or who have kicked a football otherwise they don’t know what they are talking about, is that a fair summary?
Some people heh just making “rediculous” comments obviously know nothing about football and just out of interest your playing career was what?

A lot higher than you mate that I can tell you for nothing. In fact judging by your irritated tone, I suspect you have never played and are just another armchair keyboard warrior lol.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 10, 2019, 04:10:16 pm by Herman Hessian »
soooo - how high can everyone piss ?

i'm 6'5 and, stood on a box, i reckon i could piss at least as high as the current high jump world record mark - how 'bout everyone else ???

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 10, 2019, 04:13:07 pm by Retdon1 »
That looks to me like he's screaming out of frustration and passion. Not being a shrinking violet like Messi at times.

I 100 percent agree that Messi couldn't hack it in England, he simply doesn't have the mentality for it.
Could he cope with getting hacked at against teams like Burnley away on a cold rainy Tuesday night, no chance.

Do u even watch football ?? Messi couldn’t hack it in England because teams like Burnley would kick him off the pitch.. are you serious ??  u get a booking nowadays for very little so the days of kicking players off the pitch are long gone.. and even if they weren’t they wouldn’t get anywhere near him to kick him.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 10, 2019, 04:37:06 pm by NewDonny »

Do u even watch football ?? Messi couldn’t hack it in England because teams like Burnley would kick him off the pitch.. are you serious ??  u get a booking nowadays for very little so the days of kicking players off the pitch are long gone.. and even if they weren’t they wouldn’t get anywhere near him to kick him.

Careful Retdon1 you will be being accused of actually knowing what you talk about in a minute lol. Of course your spot on, this rediculous myth that they dont have sides like Burnley or their like in Spain is just farcical or that La Liga is an inferior level to the EPL and that why he scores so many goals lol.  :crying:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 10, 2019, 04:53:18 pm by ravenrover »

A lot higher than you mate that I can tell you for nothing. In fact judging by your irritated tone, I suspect you have never played and are just another armchair keyboard warrior lol.

MATE!? You know me then?
Just wondered how you know what level I didn’t manage to play at but then you say I never played mmmm still didn’t answer the question though
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:57:57 pm by ravenrover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 10, 2019, 05:17:29 pm by scawsby steve »

Although I don't agree one bit with Raven's comments about Messi, I can assure you that the same Raven was a very good footballer, and played at a decent level.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 10, 2019, 05:39:00 pm by idler »

I'm sure that Man U would jump at the chance of signing Messi if they could afford him.
I can't see Messi getting a team mate sent off and then winking to the bench like Ronaldo did with Rooney either.
Ronaldo was also nowhere in sight when Kaka took Man U apart in the Champions League semi a few years ago.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 10, 2019, 06:36:20 pm by NewDonny »

MATE!? You know me then?
Just wondered how you know what level I didn’t manage to play at but then you say I never played mmmm still didn’t answer the question though
.......................and I am not going to answer the question and or disclose who I am, but reasonable enough level to know what I am talking about, happy to have a chat offline if you want to DM me though.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 10, 2019, 07:02:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Are you The Secret Footballer?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 10, 2019, 07:07:46 pm by drfchound »

MATE!? You know me then?
Just wondered how you know what level I didn’t manage to play at but then you say I never played mmmm still didn’t answer the question thotugh
.......................and I am not going to answer the question and or disclose who I am, but reasonable enough level to know what I am talking about, happy to have a chat offline if you want to DM me though.

NewDonny, without knowing raven, how can you make a statement like “a lot higher than you”.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 10, 2019, 07:48:34 pm by RoversAlias »
Swerve: NewDonny is actually Lionel Messi.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 10, 2019, 11:13:55 pm by MachoMadness »
Neither of them have the first touch of Copps anyway.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012