Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:30:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General mood...  (Read 3455 times)

pib

• Forum Member
General mood...
« on May 12, 2019, 10:35:39 pm by pib »
Why is the general mood on here (and among a lot of Rovers supporters generally) so dominated by negativity, criticism, falling out and a general discontentment and lack of harmony?

It's not a particularly bad time to be a Rovers supporter at the moment, is it? Is this town and this club's fanbase simply marred by a critical and downbeat outlook, or is it a product of the more polarised and binary world we live in now, or something else?

We've had a season that has exceeded most people's expectations, we are still in with a chance in our play-off semi-final (yes, it's a tough ask, but it was always going to be), and we have a manager and a core group of contracted players that seem to genuinely want to be here and give their all for the club, and a few within that squad that want to go above and beyond for the local community.

We have a direction, we have a supportive board who seem to want the best for the club, we have a training ground and a stadium that are light-years ahead of what we've had in the past, and we have a level of support that is pretty good for the division we're in (although of course it could be better).

Yet I'd say over half of what we see on here is that our support is "poor" or "embarrassing", we don't sing loud enough, one of the best goalscorers in the club's history isn't good enough, we shouldn't have got rid of our sex-offender former right back, we're reliant on loan players, some of our players will leave, our goalkeeper is crap, we won't win the 2nd leg, the ticket office is crap, the online ticketing system is crap, the board aren't football people, we shouldn't be giving an extra 700 tickets to Charlton, there's too much of a queue at the ticket office for big games, too many of our fans sit down/stand up (delete as appropriate), and other stuff I've probably forgotten.

I've had my fair share of grumbles on here in the past, I accept that, but at the moment it seems to me that we're in a better position as a club than we have been for perhaps 6, or maybe even 9 years, but it still doesn't feel like everybody at the club is able to pull in the same direction. Could it be that the lack of harmony is contributing to some of the above? Would our support and atmosphere be better if everybody felt more together? Or are we just a town full of moaning grumpy gets and I've only just opened my eyes to it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
Re: General mood...
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2019, 10:38:37 pm by Michael Shaw »
I'll second that, pib. McCann has done outstanding work this season, and even though we probably won't get promoted this season we should be in for a great ride next season. 

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2019, 11:07:12 pm by RobTheRover »
Pib, you aren't a new fan, and yet you ask why Rovers fans can moan and fall out with each other over nothing? Has history taught you nothing?

Bloody rubbish, Cusack!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 12, 2019, 11:16:13 pm by pib »
Pib, you aren't a new fan, and yet you ask why Rovers fans can moan and fall out with each other over nothing? Has history taught you nothing?

Bloody rubbish, Cusack!

Haha that answers the last question in my post!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 13, 2019, 12:24:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
My final thought on earth before I cork it, will be a memory of a slate-grey February Saturday at OBV with about 2,100 other fans watching a Div 4 game back in the early 90s.

We did the de rigeur kick off of the times; played the ball back into our half, then played a long ball down the line and out of play.

3 seconds into the game.

Pensioner behind me on the Pop Side shouts out, "Oh, here we bleedin' well gu again!"

That sums up Donny.

Don't expect good stuff. Expect shite. Insulate yourself from any expectation of fate throwing you a free pass.

What's the Latin for "No one ever made a fool of themselves by being less than ebulliently enthusiastic"? I sometimes think that should be our crest.

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 13, 2019, 12:26:57 am by drfcbenny625 »
What a post this is. Pretty much sums up everything I’ve been thinking. You would have thought being in the play offs was the worst thing to have happened to the club reading this forum at times.

It’s almost got as silly as the Facebook group which is a shame because I usually enjoy coming on here.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 13, 2019, 01:33:28 am by PDX_Rover »
A few things:

Grant McCann - excellent young manager. Not the finished article but he has the potential to be one of our best ever. Has the respect of the players I believe and gives them the freedom of expression but can also lay down the law when he needs to. He seems to read games well and make the right changes - there are only a few occasions when I reckon he could have done things differently. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. But then, once the 11 cross the line, it’s out of his hands to a degree. Best of all, he’ll get time here and the support of the owners.

John Marquis - when I was a little kid I can remember seeing Kitch and Big Bren play. Don’t remember much because I was young, but since then we’ve not really had a forward that has consistent scored 20+ goals a season. Paul Barnes gave it a go. Heffs in patches. Marquis is different class. Work rate second to none. Yes he has off days and lean patches but he’s still got 25 this season. We’ll miss him when he’s eventually gone. I hope he signs an extension in the Summer to increase his value. I hope he stays.

Young players - we seem to be producing some talent in the ranks. That can only be good for the club. We have not really had that since the Steve Beaglehole days.

The OP is spot on. Whatever happened Friday m, a cracking season. Against the odds of you believe the so called experts.

Loving it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:27:17 am by PDX_Rover »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 13, 2019, 09:48:14 am by The Beast »
I think there’s quite a few Daily Mail reader types on here, just enjoy a good moan, see the negative in everything. The bloke behind me at the game yesterday, obviously a regular, just moaned for the entire 90, you could give him the world and he still wouldn’t be happy, glad I don’t sit there every week.

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 13, 2019, 10:44:53 am by ridgewoodrover »
As someone whose supported the Rovers since the seventys I cant believe how far we’ve progressed . I really am excited where we could end up in the next couple of years . Unusually for me my glass is half full

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 13, 2019, 11:10:57 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I think it’s borne out of frustration that, no matter how we perform or what we achieve, some people will moan and complain.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 13, 2019, 11:11:36 am by normal rules »
I’m going to attempt to sum up the apparent malaise in one sentence.

“The football on offer simply is not entertaining enough, it’s not exciting. “

There, I’ve said it.
The match I watched yesterday is an example in case.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 13, 2019, 11:39:31 am by selby »
  Normal Rules, that is the magic of football, there happened to be 11 players on the pitch and a management team hell bent on spoiling your day yesterday.
  It looks like they succeeded in your case.
 I watched a competitive game, two teams that  were skillful and committed to winning a game of football as best they could, and the fact that I was disappointed at the final result like everyone else didn't stop me being entertained or enjoying the game.
  If all people want is to see is the same team win every week, I suggest  they go and watch certain teams in Spain, but miss the European games for a couple of seasons. 

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 13, 2019, 12:00:24 pm by pib »

There, I’ve said it.

Jesus christ, were you there last season?

We are the 5th top scorers in the league this season, and our record at home has been decent overall.

People expecting the quality of Man City will always be disappointed, but for L1 level the football we've played this season hasn't been bad at all.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 13, 2019, 12:08:13 pm by Herman Hessian »
What's the Latin for "No one ever made a fool of themselves by being less than ebulliently enthusiastic"? I sometimes think that should be our crest.

Nemo umquam stultus factus est ens per se minus quam vivax studere

;)

if we need something shorter - how about "Omnes futuens odio Leodis"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:10:36 pm by Herman Hessian »

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 13, 2019, 12:14:46 pm by wing commander »
  Personally I am delighted with this season and haven't got a moan about how we've done.Yes we all have players we rate and those we don't but on the whole we haven't got anything to complain about based on what we expected..

I thought yesterday was a good game of football between 2 decent sides..God knows what some of these people would have thought to some of our matches from many years ago when we were dreadfull for a number of years from re election to the desperation of relegation out the league..

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 13, 2019, 12:17:36 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Grumbling about everything isn't incompatible with being happy.

It's also the case that for many, going to a footy match is more about releasing frustrations of everyday life, well suited to the trials in lower league footy, moreso when the audibility offered by being in a crowd of a few hundred or thousand effectively gives a stage to perform on.

Same goes for moaning on here.

Agreed re the latin motto, or Old Norse? BST's choice gives us:
Nemo umquam stultus factus est ens per se minus quam ebulliently studere
according to google translate.

"Bloody rubbish Cossack" gives us:
Viri sánguinum humus nimia est illic Cossack

My choices are, "In moaning comes peace"
Et humiliatum est pax

or, "In pain lies fortitude"
Dolor iacet in fortitudine

Such a classy forum, eh!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 13, 2019, 12:20:18 pm by RobTheRover »
God knows what some of these people would have thought to some of our matches from many years ago when we were dreadfull for a number of years from re election to the desperation of relegation out the league..

i suspect they would have been secretly delighted that had something proper to moan about.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 13, 2019, 12:21:35 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Haud unus umquam factum null stultus ab themselves apud being minor quam ebulliently enthusiastic

Sorry, the last two words don’t have a Latin equivalent!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:24:31 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 13, 2019, 12:29:48 pm by Herman Hessian »
shall stick this in here as it's more relevant than where it was originally posted...

Why do we usually have a hatred for everyone ex-Doncaster Rovers?

because they don't fit the misconceived perception of the club which is held by the majority of supporters nowadays - luddites, dinosaurs, journeymen who existed in the pre-championship era; f**k me - you're lucky to hear a good word about john ryan on here for the most part, and if he's not immune from criticism - even with the benefit of hindsight and without having to deal with his later gaffes and daft ideas in real time - then the likes of MW have no chance...

that's no real criticism, mind, it's a generational thing - fair enough, but i think that a lot of the more recently acquired adherents to the cause have an inflated idea of the club's stature on the back of a few years in the championship and are therefore far more quick to find fault when generally inconsequential aspects of DRFC are not deemed to be up to scratch...

you can also regard this as a response to these couple of posts from yesterday - same root cause I reckon:

Maybe some fans who were thinking about going had their minds changed when they’d read the moaning drivel that some folk insist on posting on here? Let’s face it, this forum is hardly a great advert for the club is it?

Two or three of us were talking about this today.
After a game we often look on the forum of the team we have played and all agreed that there does seem to be much more moaning on this site than on others, particularly about individual players and the team in general.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 13, 2019, 12:34:55 pm by idler »
Everything is relative.
Outside Anfield yesterday they spoke to three fans on the TV.
One a scouse, one Scandinavian and one from Eastern Europe I think.
They also showed pictures of loads of locals watching through pub Windows.
How is that right?
Also spare a thought for the worldwide grief of Man U fans. What a day for them. City champions, Liverpool 2nd but European finalists while they are losing at home to Cardiff and having to play qualifying rounds in the. Europa league.
We think that we've got it rough hey?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 13, 2019, 12:40:23 pm by wing commander »
God knows what some of these people would have thought to some of our matches from many years ago when we were dreadfull for a number of years from re election to the desperation of relegation out the league..

i suspect they would have been secretly delighted that had something proper to moan about.

I think the biggest moan I had in one single match was Rovers v Halifax at belle vue..We were down the bottom of league 2 and we were pretty awful.I was a bit tired of watching pretty terrible football,so that Saturday I decided to go car shopping..

I was listening to the game on the radio and suddenly we were playing like Real Madrid.I had seen a cavalier I liked and was waiting for a salesman when I thought Sod it I'm going to the game, I sacked the car shopping off with the intention of going back after the game and got to Belle Vue for half time..We were 3-0 up..The gateman charged me full price to get in and I eagerly anticipated finally watching Rovers give someone a proper hiding rather than the other way round...

45 minutes later I trudged out after watching Halifax bang 4 past us to win 4-3 and by the time I got back to the garage somebody else had bought the car...It's a good job there wasn't a forum then else people would have seen what proper moaning was all about...haha

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 13, 2019, 02:51:52 pm by PDX_Rover »

I think the biggest moan I had in one single match was Rovers v Halifax at belle vue..We were down the bottom of league 2 and we were pretty awful.I was a bit tired of watching pretty terrible football,so that Saturday I decided to go car shopping..

I was listening to the game on the radio and suddenly we were playing like Real Madrid.I had seen a cavalier I liked and was waiting for a salesman when I thought Sod it I'm going to the game, I sacked the car shopping off with the intention of going back after the game and got to Belle Vue for half time..We were 3-0 up..The gateman charged me full price to get in and I eagerly anticipated finally watching Rovers give someone a proper hiding rather than the other way round...

45 minutes later I trudged out after watching Halifax bang 4 past us to win 4-3 and by the time I got back to the garage somebody else had bought the car...It's a good job there wasn't a forum then else people would have seen what proper moaning was all about...haha

I was there too. Stood in pop side. We were brilliant first half. There’s no way we were going to lose.

Halifax were kicking towards the Rosso end if I remember correctly, and they tore us apart second half. Well that, and Rovers just fell apart. It was a weird game... one of those where everything flipped. They got one, and you could sense what was about to happen.

I remember leaving the ground and going into the golf club bar and having quite a few pints...

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 13, 2019, 03:19:08 pm by normal rules »
I am personally quite pleased with rovers league position this season.

I did not see much “skill” on show yesterday from either team though.

And I’ve seen rovers play many times, and been entertained despite being beat.

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 13, 2019, 04:04:02 pm by drfcbenny625 »

There, I’ve said it.

We scored 100 goals in all comps this season. If that’s not entertaining or exciting football then I really don’t know what is.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 13, 2019, 04:04:18 pm by philsky »
As someone whose supported the Rovers since the seventys I cant believe how far we’ve progressed . I really am excited where we could end up in the next couple of years . Unusually for me my glass is half full

Try from the late 60s for me.

I spent thirty years watching absolute rubbish with the very occasional lift.

The last 15 years have been bloody amazing; great stadium, fab matches, some just awesome players and some fecking trophies !!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 13, 2019, 04:29:42 pm by IDM »
I didn’t think yesterday was particularly bad, more that Charlton were better and that stifled our game to a degree..

Had Copps or Andrew scored, it could have been a different game..

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 14, 2019, 09:24:36 pm by Lesonthewest »

Was at that game, total second half collapse, was a weird feeling as soon as they scored Halifax scored the first you just knew defeat was coming.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 14, 2019, 09:50:38 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Everything is relative.
How is that right?
Also spare a thought for the worldwide grief of Man U fans. What a day for them. City champions, Liverpool 2nd but European finalists while they are losing at home to Cardiff and having to play qualifying rounds in the. Europa league.

Spot on Idler.

To be playing Championship Football has always been 'our' dream & having tasted it so recently & clearly (given their posts) we have played at that level during many of the posters who now post on this forum, it appears that they feel 'failing' this season (bearing in mind we still have the 2nd leg at Charlton to play) to reach the Championship this season is down to either all or some of:- 'Marosi is s**t can't wait until Lawlor is fit again', Butler is too slow, Blair is not a natural right back, Kane is not the player he was before his injury, Copps only has 60 minutes in him, Crawford is 'too lightweight' in midfield, Marquis, for £2m I'd drive him to his next club, Rowe already at Peterborough, ....quotes or very similar to I have seen on this forum throughout the season.

We've competed in a league where on Saturday 15,000+ 'supporters' boycotted their game against Portsmouth in protest that the team/club had failed to get automatic promotion. Proud? I hope my club never reach the point when so many so called supporters aren't satisfied with dissing their team on a supporters forum, but actually have the gall to boycott games because they have not reached their expectations.

So time for a reality check to posters like....(well, you know who you are). We have reached the play offs on a budget that a certain manager allegedly said was impossible to achieve without further monies being made available. Whatever the outcome of the play offs, I have thoroughly the 140 mile round trip to watch my team this season. Good football, tight games, frustrating results & all. Well done Grant, whatever happens from here until the end of the season, I've every faith in you & the board to ensure it's onwards & upwards. RTID.   

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 14, 2019, 09:56:03 pm by Spilsby Red »
Well said. We are rovers and proud proud

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 14, 2019, 10:01:16 pm by rich1471 »
Everything is relative.
How is that right?

Spot on Idler.

To be playing Championship Football has always been 'our' dream & having tasted it so recently & clearly (given their posts) we have played at that level during many of the posters who now post on this forum, it appears that they feel 'failing' this season (bearing in mind we still have the 2nd leg at Charlton to play) to reach the Championship this season is down to either all or some of:- 'Marosi is s**t can't wait until Lawlor is fit again', Butler is too slow, Blair is not a natural right back, Kane is not the player he was before his injury, Copps only has 60 minutes in him, Crawford is 'too lightweight' in midfield, Marquis, for £2m I'd drive him to his next club, Rowe already at Peterborough, ....quotes or very similar to I have seen on this forum throughout the season.

We've competed in a league where on Saturday 15,000+ 'supporters' boycotted their game against Portsmouth in protest that the team/club had failed to get automatic promotion. Proud? I hope my club never reach the point when so many so called supporters aren't satisfied with dissing their team on a supporters forum, but actually have the gall to boycott games because they have not reached their expectations.

So time for a reality check to posters like....(well, you know who you are). We have reached the play offs on a budget that a certain manager allegedly said was impossible to achieve without further monies being made available. Whatever the outcome of the play offs, I have thoroughly the 140 mile round trip to watch my team this season. Good football, tight games, frustrating results & all. Well done Grant, whatever happens from here until the end of the season, I've every faith in you & the board to ensure it's onwards & upwards. RTID.   
Sunderland fans did not boycott because they failed to win automatic promotion , it was down to the amount of tickets they got when they played Portsmouth at wembley 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012