Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next PM  (Read 2795 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Next PM
« on May 26, 2019, 12:05:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I see Raab has shown his genius this morning. Says that when he's PM, he wants a 5% cut in the rate of income tax. And that will be paid for by "efficiencies".

Which raises the question in my mind. Do you trust the man who didn't realise that a lot of trade goes between Dover and Calais to be so ruthlessly bright that he can root out £30bn/year of efficiencies in Govt departments? Or do you think he's deceiving you and by "efficiencies" he means cuts to Govt spending on your kids' schools. Which, by the way, is what that Kitson Gove did when he took over at Education 9 years ago, promising "efficiencies".

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Next PM
« Reply #1 on May 26, 2019, 12:07:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
McVey announcing that she wants us to crash out if she's PM.

Come back Theresa all is forgiven.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 26, 2019, 12:32:21 pm by Filo »
McVey announcing that she wants us to crash out if she's PM.

Come back Theresa all is forgiven.

McVey is a Kitson

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 26, 2019, 01:30:58 pm by tommy toes »
Heard that Rory Mcthinbloke promising the earth if he's elected on the radio this morning. He'd no idea how he's going to do it though when pressed by John Pienar.
Full of meaningless soundbites 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 26, 2019, 01:32:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Raab also said parliament wouldn't stop him walking away with no deal. Funny how these big fans of democracy don't seem to actually know what it means.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 26, 2019, 02:04:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Raab also said parliament wouldn't stop him walking away with no deal. Funny how these big fans of democracy don't seem to actually know what it means.

But he is right on that, any leader could get no deal through if they wanted by simply just not agreeing to EU demands.

We don't need a tax cut many of us will be in the 40+% bracket and that's fine, you reach a point where it is affordable and it should be that way.  Having said that I dont think it should increase as there becomes a point where it's not worth taking on much more work and stress for the money.  It's a balancing act.and I tend to think the balance is not that bad at the moment.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 26, 2019, 04:46:32 pm by roversdude »
Esther McVey Might brighten things up (if you turn the sound off)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 26, 2019, 05:30:02 pm by drfchound »
I see Raab has shown his genius this morning. Says that when he's PM, he wants a 5% cut in the rate of income tax. And that will be paid for by "efficiencies".

Which raises the question in my mind. Do you trust the man who didn't realise that a lot of trade goes between Dover and Calais to be so ruthlessly bright that he can root out £30bn/year of efficiencies in Govt departments? Or do you think he's deceiving you and by "efficiencies" he means cuts to Govt spending on your kids' schools. Which, by the way, is what that Kitson Gove did when he took over at Education 9 years ago, promising "efficiencies".

BBC news this morning quoted him as saying a 1%. cut in income tax.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 26, 2019, 06:10:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My mistake Hound.

It was 5 days ago he said 5%.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/104043/dominic-raab-calls-5p-cut-income-tax-ahead

So hard to keep up with an intellect like that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 26, 2019, 06:30:53 pm by drfchound »
Good job Diane Abbott isn't calculating where the shortfall would be made up from though eh?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 26, 2019, 07:06:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good job Diane Abbott isn't calculating where the shortfall would be made up from though eh?

Odd that you bring up Abbott every time Hound. I've never heard you criticise, say, Rory Stewart, for example, who said in a radio interview that 80% of the population supported May's deal and when asked to justify that, said that he'd made the number up to illustrate a point.

What with that and Boris's £350m/week, it seems like being really, really bad at being accurate with numbers is a prerequisite for standing to be PM these days.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 26, 2019, 08:29:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Per year for five years. That's what he said on Marr.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 26, 2019, 08:37:12 pm by wilts rover »

Or Boris Johnson who gave an interview that was like 'a two Ronnies sketch'.

Seems this bloke was right though when he said that Johnson's interview disaster wouldn't be treated like Abbott's.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/22/boris-johnson-interview-disaster-diane-abbott

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 26, 2019, 08:38:59 pm by drfchound »

I was quoting what was said on the BBC news.
I have better things to do on Sunday morning than sit watching  what is said by Andrew Marr .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:32:44 pm by drfchound »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 26, 2019, 08:43:30 pm by drfchound »

Odd that you bring up Abbott every time Hound. I've never heard you criticise, say, Rory Stewart, for example, who said in a radio interview that 80% of the population supported May's deal and when asked to justify that, said that he'd made the number up to illustrate a point.

What with that and Boris's £350m/week, it seems like being really, really bad at being accurate with numbers is a prerequisite for standing to be PM these days.

I mention Abbott every time BST because it was such a classic.

I agree with you on the  Boris and  Farage lies pre Brexit and I wouldn't trust Rory Stewart to direct the traffic never mind the country.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:51:48 pm by drfchound »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 26, 2019, 08:52:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My take?

Being a politician is bloody tough. There are teams of shit to memorise if you want to come across as calm and in control in interviews. With star interviewers desperate to trip you up.

None of that actually matters as to whether a politician can do their job. But we, the population, have turned politics into some sort of trivialised reality show. We guffaw at the pillocks who can't do mental arithmetic on the spot on the radio at sparrowfart, or who get photographed choking on a bacon sarnie, or who can't choke their tears back.

WE have trivialised it because we can't be arsed doing the hard work of thinking about policies. And because we have done that, it's right and fitting that we are going to end up with a PM who has charmed 40% of the population into thinking he's a lovable, eccentric buffoon, when in fact he is a self-serving, amoral, vicious manipulator.

We've earned Boris Johnson as PM because we can't be arsed to look beyond the media façade.

As that article that Wilts posted says though, fascinating that his errors are laughed off and forgotten about, whereas Abbott's are thrown back at her time after time after time.

Almost as if an Afro-Caribbean woman doesn't get the same treatment as a white, upper-middle class Old Etonian/Oxbridge graduate. Who'd have thought it, eh?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 26, 2019, 09:06:07 pm by drfchound »
You know what BST, I agree with you that being a politician is a tough job.
Yet so many people bang on about how they would do things differently and tell us how crap they (the politicians) are.
A little group of vsc posters pull the government to bits all the time and chortle together about what should have happened if they had been in charge when in reality they would have fu**ed up even worse.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 26, 2019, 09:13:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't know why she was so ridiculed for her massive blunder over police recruitment costs. she was only talking coppers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 26, 2019, 09:26:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You know what BST, I agree with you that being a politician is a tough job.
Yet so many people bang on about how they would do things differently and tell us how crap they (the politicians) are.
A little group of vsc posters pull the government to bits all the time and chortle together about what should have happened if they had been in charge when in reality they would have fu**ed up even worse.

Hound.

Yes, accepted. I do think we should be more forgiving of minor blunders.

But I will never, ever be forgiving of politicians that implement Austerity pixies that they knew were economic idiocy, ones who cut the education budget while giving tax cuts to millionaires or build up an anti-immigrant atmosphere that leads to situations like the Windrush scandal. Those are the DELIBERATE decisions that no-one should turn a blind eye to.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 26, 2019, 11:07:56 pm by SydneyRover »
This is what Gove said about himself in the aftermath of Cmeron and the ensuing leadership contest:

''Gove’s announcement is remarkable in three primary respects. First, that it exists at all. As he himself concedes: “I have repeatedly said that I do not want to be prime minister.” In interview after interview, Gove has insisted that he lacks the stamina, temperament and other qualities he admires in David Cameron''

So he considers himself not as good as O'l Jellyback?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 27, 2019, 01:10:51 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I was quoting what I as said on the BBC news.
I have better things to do on Sunday mate thing than sit wat had by Andrew Marr .

I was quoting from Raab himself, not the BBC. That's why I posted it. You seem to want to read more into me doing that than there is.

What you do on a Sunday is your business, I don't need to know.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 27, 2019, 04:40:51 pm by GazLaz »

But he is right on that, any leader could get no deal through if they wanted by simply just not agreeing to EU demands.

We don't need a tax cut many of us will be in the 40+% bracket and that's fine, you reach a point where it is affordable and it should be that way.  Having said that I dont think it should increase as there becomes a point where it's not worth taking on much more work and stress for the money.  It's a balancing act.and I tend to think the balance is not that bad at the moment.

No deal has been voted down by parliament over and over again. No PM would ignore the will of the back benchers.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 27, 2019, 06:24:50 pm by ravenrover »
Wouldn't put money on that

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 27, 2019, 06:26:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not so sure I agree with you Gaz. Get a showman like Johnson, or a headcase ideologue like Raab faced with the reality that Parliament wouldn't consent to No Deal and I can well see them using executive power to by-pass Parliament, working on the idea that there's 30-odd% of folk out there who want No Deal. And would support them

It would be a constitutional outrage and far, far more undemocratic than a second referendum, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 27, 2019, 08:12:56 pm by GazLaz »
Not so sure I agree with you Gaz. Get a showman like Johnson, or a headcase ideologue like Raab faced with the reality that Parliament wouldn't consent to No Deal and I can well see them using executive power to by-pass Parliament, working on the idea that there's 30-odd% of folk out there who want No Deal. And would support them

It would be a constitutional outrage and far, far more undemocratic than a second referendum, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Would they be prepared to sacrifice a long run in office to just get a no deal? If they did overlook the view of parliament they would be out before Christmas surely.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 27, 2019, 08:20:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Why would it sacrifice a long run in office? If it cemented their support with the 30-35% of people who believe the bullshit that No Deal is a success, and if the Opposition remains divided, it might well be enough to win a follow up GE.

I'm probably dreaming, because it would be the most outrageous contempt for democracy since the Restoration and we know how all the Hard Brexiters think there is nothing more vital than supporting our democracy.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 27, 2019, 08:23:55 pm by wilts rover »
And there's the conundrum.

If it looked like a new PM was willing to take the country out without a deal would enough Tories (and Change UK) support a no confidence vote to stop them. Knowing that would bring down the government and they would most likely loose their seat at the following GE.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 28, 2019, 12:27:29 pm by RobTheRover »
Wilts, are you mad? 

A government of Tory MPs considering country over party?????

Whatever next....  ;)

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 28, 2019, 01:15:44 pm by colfromdonny »
McVey does want to cancel HS2 though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012