Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:00:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rooney’s Law  (Read 2881 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Rooney’s Law
« on June 07, 2019, 08:09:22 pm by Branton Rover »
Apparently the football League is introducing a version of Rooney's law.
Basically for the uninitiated when a managerial vacancy becomes vacant - all clubs have to interview a BAME candidate in order to give them a better chance of getting into football management.
Personally I have mixed views on this initiative, because I think that when merit is being overtaken by quotas things are bound to go array.

Individuals like Darren Moore & Chris Houghton  are going to get appointed not because of skin colour because they are bloody good managers to begin with

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: Rooney’s Law
« Reply #1 on June 07, 2019, 08:12:25 pm by Retdon1 »
What happens if non apply ?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 07, 2019, 08:26:14 pm by drfchound »
What happens if non apply ?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 07, 2019, 08:33:16 pm by Branton Rover »
I would imagine if you’re a budding coach or manager they would register with the LMA & they would allocate for interview when jobs come up.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 07, 2019, 08:35:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Apparently the football League is introducing a version of Rooney's law.
Basically for the uninitiated when a managerial vacancy becomes vacant - all clubs have to interview a BAME candidate in order to give them a better chance of getting into football management.
Personally I have mixed views on this initiative, because I think that when merit is being overtaken by quotas things are bound to go array.

Individuals like Darren Moore & Chris Houghton  are going to get appointed not because of skin colour because they are bloody good managers to begin with

That's all very well, but how do you find out that they're good managers to begin with?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 07, 2019, 09:18:20 pm by Campsall rover »
What a load of absolute nonsense.
Managers should be appointed on ability not race or colour full stop.
What needs to be done is educate against racism end of.  :headbang:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 07, 2019, 09:19:38 pm by silent majority »
The EFL have had something similar in place for a while, essentially focussed on a certain number of clubs to see what the take up would be like etc.

The success of that has led to them including Rooneys rule in the law changes being voted on at this weeks AGM.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 07, 2019, 10:25:02 pm by since-1969 »
What is this Law , do you have interview someone who is related to Shrek

thorneydave

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 07, 2019, 11:16:52 pm by thorneydave »
Surely, 'If you're good enough, you'll get the job' regardless of race. Or am I a bit naive??

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 07, 2019, 11:47:17 pm by LincsRover »
It probably means Paul Ince will get more interviews than he deserves. Nothing to do with race, colour or anything else - he’s just a f*ck*ng sh*t manager!!  :turd: :turd: :turd:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2019, 12:54:00 am by Glyn_Wigley »
What a load of absolute nonsense.
Managers should be appointed on ability not race or colour full stop.
What needs to be done is educate against racism end of.  :headbang:

Nobody's being made to appoint anyone because of their race or colour. Full stop.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2019, 01:44:06 am by gillinghamrover »
So if interviewing for a managerial position you have to have at least one ethnic candidate, regardless of whether he/she fits the criteria the club is looking for? If that’s it in a nut shell what a loss of b*llocks, I couldn’t give a shit about a potential managers race colour or creed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2019, 10:51:46 am by idler »
The problem is that if someone totally unsuitable is granted an interview because of ethnicity,sex, or whatever with no chance of getting it what is the point?
The next statistic will be how many have had interviews but none appointed.
Ability should be the only way to achieve an interview.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2019, 11:16:11 am by Glyn_Wigley »
The problem is that if someone totally unsuitable is granted an interview because of ethnicity,sex, or whatever with no chance of getting it what is the point?
The next statistic will be how many have had interviews but none appointed.
Ability should be the only way to achieve an interview.

They'll still need to have the proper qualifications/coaching badges etc. to get an interview.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:07:25 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2019, 11:59:06 am by Jonathan »
If you don’t hold (for example) racist, sexist or homophobic views, and you don’t see those prejudices actively around you in your own environment, then it’s very easy to fall into the trap of believing that they don’t exist. Unfortunately they do.

Jobs should always be given on merit, but anything that can be done to provide equal opportunity should be explored. It’s very easy to be dismissive of this kind of thing, I probably have been in the past myself, but the initiative is there to address an inequality that is conceivably real, even if we don’t necessarily see it or recognise it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2019, 01:30:22 pm by RoversAlias »
Completely agree with that Jonathan.

It's a tricky one, this. Ultimately teams won't hire people they don't want, and if there aren't any qualified BAME candidates then this Rooney Rule is moot. There needs to be a better pathway into coaching and management for BAME people then such a rule won't be necessary.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2019, 02:28:15 pm by idler »
The way forward for me would be to see how many players from these fields actually want to take coaching badges and progress to coaching and management.
It's easy to say that there are ten times as many stereotypical white (for want of a better word) managers but if that is the same ratio as the ones taking badges then surely that explains the supposed disparity.
This must be the best time ever for minority groups to be accepted as equals by the majority of fans,players,directors and clubs.
As long as everybody has the same opportunity to progress and receives the same encouragement.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 10, 2019, 03:04:08 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
This is about interviews, not appointments. This is 100% positive, some comments above are missing the point, and I suspect missing the issue of prejudice as it occurs.

Prejudice does exist in job appointments, moreso when it comes to management in most industries. If the likelihood is that someone will at least get an interview for a management job then they are more likely to train towards the qualifications needed, employers are at least forced to get closer to the level of seeing a human and not someone imagined. There's other reasons too why it is a good thing, and cannot in any way be seen as a bad thing - there's not one comment above that stands up as being a negative in this.

The same applies for prejudices beyond race issues too, but race is an in your face starter to deal with, very notably in football.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 10, 2019, 09:01:01 pm by idler »
I see your point BRR and agree but think that getting an interview but infrequently or never getting a job will lead to more complaints.
We need to get more young players interested in going for coaching badges and gradually working up the ladder. Hopefully the more that get their badges the fewer will fall by the wayside.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 10, 2019, 09:58:11 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I agree that ultimately it's about more than makinhg up interview quotas, though getting that spot in the interview gives the human face a chance to promote itself and I believe will make a difference in itself.

Players will be more likely to go for coaching badges when they believe the tide of prejudice has turned. Small but significant steps.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 10, 2019, 10:04:26 pm by dickos1 »
It’s ok saying if people are good enough they will get the jobs. But obviously they don’t.
Look at the number of black players there are and how many there have been over the last 15 years, and then look at how many black managers there are. Out of the 92 clubs you’re looking at 1 maybe 2.

That is a very very obvious discrepancy, and there is not a chance that there aren’t more than 1 or 2 black managers who are qualified and are actively looking for work.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 11, 2019, 09:42:35 am by idler »
It would maybe be a good idea to ask a good senior pro, like Andy Butler or Copps the question of how many black/ethnic players they know actually had an interest in coaching.
They must know how many former team mates have started coaching junior sides and working for badges.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2019, 02:05:38 pm by ravenrover »
Rooney Rule - Doubt it will make one iota of difference

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 17, 2019, 02:34:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Rooney Rule - Doubt it will make one iota of difference

Have to say, my enthusiasm for it is Wayning.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012