Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:53:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Adkins leaving Hull City  (Read 3909 times)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
Adkins leaving Hull City
« on June 08, 2019, 12:53:27 pm by CottyRover »
Not a wind up,  I read it in the Guardian! Not a matter of great interest to us, I don't suppose. Can't imagine anyone wanting that job right now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
Re: Adkins leaving Hull City
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2019, 01:21:09 pm by Drover »
Tell Herbie,and tell him to have another year with us. 😁

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2019, 01:46:11 pm by DRNaith »
I thought Herbie was from Liverpool

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2019, 01:46:30 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/4856721

Decent bloke, Adkins. Seems to have had problems with the owners. No surprise there, then!
Apparently turned down a new contract. Would have accepted a new one on less money, but wasn’t given any promises about future investment. Makes a change that a manager walks rather than getting sacked.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2019, 01:53:09 pm by DRNaith »

Oh yeah, actually I remember now, Hull City were "linked" to him

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2019, 01:58:27 pm by CottyRover »

Yes, there was mention of Herbie maybe going there. Wouldn't be a good move now.  Things won't be sorted at Hull City until they get new owners.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2019, 02:07:10 pm by DRNaith »

Yes, there was mention of Herbie maybe going there. Wouldn't be a good move now.  Things won't be sorted at Hull City until they get new owners.

Yep, and that won't happen anytime soon as their biggest human asset has left, and the Allams will not adjust their already unrealistic valuation accordingly

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2019, 02:36:20 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I worked with a couple of Hull City fans a few years ago so I always keep half an eye on them. They really do seem to be a club in a real mess. With all the issues they have had recently I think Adkins did a pretty good job last year. Unfortunately for them I’d imagine they’ll be losing some of the better players over the next few weeks. They also have a similar ‘problem’ to Donny with there being a high number of Leeds fans there too.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2019, 02:41:11 pm by DRNaith »
I worked with a couple of Hull City fans a few years ago so I always keep half an eye on them. They really do seem to be a club in a real mess. With all the issues they have had recently I think Adkins did a pretty good job last year. Unfortunately for them I’d imagine they’ll be losing some of the better players over the next few weeks. They also have a similar ‘problem’ to Donny with there being a high number of Leeds fans there too.

Yes, though they were building a great family/young following-base, with trips to Wembley in the cup and playoffs, and recent Premier League dabbling, but killed off a lot of that by removing all concession prices

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2019, 02:51:57 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Yes, though they were building a great family/young following-base, with trips to Wembley in the cup and playoffs, and recent Premier League dabbling, but killed off a lot of that by removing all concession prices

Yes they were. They had a pretty successful few years. Unfortunately for them that good feeling seems to be falling away and the decision around removing concessions seems to have really alienated a big part of their fan base.  I read last year that at one home game there were more away fans than home fans (forest?). I always thought that Hull had the potential to be as big as Leeds. By comparison to most clubs there’s no other club nearby, maybe York and Grimsby I’d guess? I remember my mate telling me that when Donny played Leeds at Wembley there were 2 coaches of Leeds fans went there from Hull.

Shornton

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2019, 03:35:23 pm by Shornton »

Decent bloke, Adkins. Seems to have had problems with the owners. No surprise there, then!
Apparently turned down a new contract. Would have accepted a new one on less money, but wasn’t given any promises about future investment. Makes a change that a manager walks rather than getting sacked.

Decent bloke? he's an absolute OAF!!!! can see why they didnt want him!

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2019, 05:18:14 pm by CottyRover »

But they did want him. They offered a contract extension which he turned down.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2019, 06:12:32 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Decent bloke? he's an absolute OAF!!!!

In what way? Give a few examples, please.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2019, 08:38:58 pm by rich1471 »

always came across as a decent bloke , please explain why you think this

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 09, 2019, 08:38:17 am by graingrover »
Grant M rates him enough to phone him still for advice .

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 09, 2019, 12:44:04 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Decent bloke? he's an absolute OAF!!!!

In what way? Give a few examples, please.

One definition of “oaf”: a man who is rough or clumsy and unintelligent. Definitely not how you you would describe Adkins

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 09, 2019, 03:03:51 pm by Northants Nomad »

Ah the 'joys' of forums and social media. Throw out unsubstantiated abuse safe in the knowledge that the keyboard won't bite back.

I've the opinion that Adkins is a decent bloke, articulate and respected.

However, if you can come up with factual examples, I'd be happy to listen, but I suspect it's another case of unfounded allegations with no supportable evidence that you are hurling around in the hope they take root and become perceived as facts. Welcome, everyone, to the modern internet/social media age.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 09, 2019, 03:14:15 pm by Campsall rover »

Explain. Can’t make ridiculous comments like that without substantiating them.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 09, 2019, 04:12:05 pm by Bollinger »
As i recall the Saints fans weren't happy about his dismissal given his record (from League One to PL in straight seasons?) and I seem to remember reading an piece about the stadium and office staff there being in tears when the news broke that he had been sacked and Pocchetino had replaced him. Not sure why they'd be shedding tears if the man was an 'oaf'.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 10, 2019, 05:55:35 am by roversdude »
JR hinted once that he would be an ideal replacement for SOD
Adkins always came across as a very knowledgeable articulate manager, by the way didn’t he start as a physio before being thrown in the deep end with his managerial career

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 10, 2019, 08:39:25 am by Campsall rover »
JR hinted once that he would be an ideal replacement for SOD
Adkins always came across as a very knowledgeable articulate manager, by the way didn’t he start as a physio before being thrown in the deep end with his managerial career
Yes he was Physio at Scunny then got the managers job.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 10, 2019, 02:51:27 pm by roversdude »
Thanks Campsall

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 11, 2019, 06:48:59 am by Draytonian III »
Wasn’t his lad a youth team player with us a few years ago  ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012