Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:04:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: League 1 finances  (Read 3957 times)

albie

• Forum Member
League 1 finances
« on June 14, 2019, 09:56:13 pm by albie »
As we have another budget thread without any facts, here is some data from Keiran Maguire:
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1139437269188775936

It sets the position at Rovers alongside the other clubs.

Because it is for the last year data is available, it does not show what spending might be next season.
There is usually some basket case who decides to splash the cash.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: League 1 finances
« Reply #1 on June 14, 2019, 09:58:24 pm by drfchound »
As we have another budget thread without any facts, here is some data from Keiran Maguire:

Because it is for the last year data is available, it does not show what spending might be next season.

Peterborough have already started.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 14, 2019, 10:12:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not sure where he has sourced the figure from, but the £171,000 spent on player transfers in 17/18 must almost entirely have gone on the Ben Whiteman transfer. If he is correct, that is a decent fee we paid out.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 14, 2019, 10:15:55 pm by Retdon1 »
Not sure where he has sourced the figure from, but the £171,000 spent on player transfers in 17/18 must almost entirely have gone on the Ben Whiteman transfer. If he is correct, that is a decent fee we paid out.

The fee at the time was rumoured to be around the 150k mark

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 14, 2019, 10:26:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Looks good value now though

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 15, 2019, 09:31:54 am by silent majority »

It's actually for the year before, 2017/18. Last season would be 2018/19.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 15, 2019, 10:00:16 am by NickDRFC »

It's actually for the year before, 2017/18. Last season would be 2018/19.

To be fair, Albie said it’s “for the last year data is available”, not last year.

Remarkable that Shrewsbury are in such a healthy net asset position - presumably that’s because they converted debt to equity at some point recently.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:06:10 am by NickDRFC »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 15, 2019, 10:23:09 am by Padge_DRFC »

Ferguson's best signing with Marquis. McCann getting the best out of him

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 15, 2019, 10:31:04 am by jackthelad »

I'm not really sure that his form is any different really under GM to what it was under Ferguson.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 15, 2019, 11:24:17 am by Jonathan »

I'm not really sure that his form is any different really under GM to what it was under Ferguson.

Really? Whiteman has been completely transformed this last season. Far more suited to the way McCann sets the team up, as reflected in his player of the season award.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 15, 2019, 11:41:51 am by jackthelad »

Really? Whiteman has been completely transformed this last season. Far more suited to the way McCann sets the team up, as reflected in his player of the season award.

Sorry,misunderstood your post. I thought you meant Marquis.
Whiteman has always been a key part of our team in my opinion and is a class above, we will do well to keep him. Sheffield United do have a sell on clause also so I imagine he would command a very sizeable fee.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 15, 2019, 06:43:38 pm by Campsall rover »

Whiteman has always been a key part of our team in my opinion and is a class above, we will do well to keep him. Sheffield United do have a sell on clause also so I imagine he would command a very sizeable fee.
I wish some on here would stop touting Ben Whiteman around to other clubs.
We need to keep him. He is only 23 yrs old i think so must be worth £1.000.000 now if not more.
We won’t sell him on the cheap that’s for sure same as JM won’t be.
We are not a selling club anymore so i wish people would stop all this silly transfer talk.
It’s just complete fiction until it actually happens.

Yes everyone has their price. But it’s HIGH in 2019 unlike 1989 when we sold on the cheap.
This club we support is a totally different animal now. Thank heavens. Well run and ambitious.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 15, 2019, 06:47:29 pm by Retdon1 »

We need to keep him. He is only 23 yrs old i think so must be worth £1.000.000 now if not more.
We are not a selling club anymore so i wish people would stop all this silly transfer talk.

Yes everyone has their price. But it’s HIGH in 2019 unlike 1989 when we sold on the cheap.
This club we support is a totally different animal now. Thank heavens. Well run and ambitious.

I can’t decide if your taking the Mick or you really think rival clubs will start bidding for whiteman after reading this forum

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 15, 2019, 07:58:47 pm by Campsall rover »

I can’t decide if your taking the Mick or you really think rival clubs will start bidding for whiteman after reading this forum
No of course i am not expecting other clubs to start bidding based on forum comments.
What i meant is some on here seem determined to get him sold by bulling him up all the time and just generally putting him in the shop window as a potential sale.
Most clubs will have done their homework and have a summer shopping list.
I am hoping Whiteman isn’t on any list but if he is i am sure that club will have to pay a 6 figure fee for his services.
We don’t need to sell & that’s the positive we can all be very thankful for.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 16, 2019, 07:45:25 am by dickos1 »
If you look at the players that have left since the end of 18/19 season.
Marosi, McCullough, Mandeville, Williams, Lund, Rowe, Butler, garratt, beestin, mason, Baudry, Alcock, khemis, Middleton,

And we’ve brought in, Crawford, Anderson, sadlier.

The wage bill now must be dramatically reduced from just over a year ago we’ve lost around 14 players off it and brought in 3.

Therefore we must have significant funds available now to build our squad back up, unless we are running the ship on a much smaller budget.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 16, 2019, 07:55:41 am by Chris Black come back »
Marosi, McCullough, Mandeville, Williams, Lund, Rowe, Butler, garratt, beestin, mason, Baudry, Alcock, khemis, Middleton,

The wage bill now must be dramatically reduced from just over a year ago we’ve lost around 14 players off it and brought in 3.

Therefore we must have significant funds available now to build our squad back up, unless we are running the ship on a much smaller budget.

Several of those did not even make it to the start of the 18/19 season, let alone to the end of that season. The general premise is probably right in that a number of players have left over the last year or so, but it is yet more made up stuff to suggest all of those had left in the last few weeks, since the season ended.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:26:27 am by Chris Black come back »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 16, 2019, 09:45:36 am by Jonathan »

I’m assuming you mean since the end of the 17/18 season, in which case it’s a fair point. Based on the turnover there must now be plenty of room in the budget for incomings, and I expect that is the case as we will sign several between now and the start of the season.

Just a point for correctness, it is only fair to add Halliday, McLean and Blaney into the incomings, which doubles the number. The latter two, although signed as future prospects, are expected to challenge for a first team place at some point. Probably more than a few of those outgoings did.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 16, 2019, 10:02:09 am by Chris Black come back »
If 17/18 is what is meant (rather than 18/19 as stated) then we need to remember that we have handed out new contracts in that period, which in most cases (perhaps not Copps) going to have been more rather than less generous than they were previously on or indeed are new contracts altogether which have added to the overall wage bill and therefore eaten into that budget. I am thinking such as the new deals offered to Wright, Lawlor and May in the last season, and Whiteman coming on to the books as a full time player. These will be a burden on the budget beyond what was there previously.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:34:13 pm by Chris Black come back »

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 16, 2019, 10:51:58 am by redarmy82 »

It's definitely the latter.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 16, 2019, 11:40:13 am by vaya »

Best of luck proving that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 16, 2019, 01:27:37 pm by dickos1 »

I’m assuming you mean since the end of the 17/18 season, in which case it’s a fair point. Based on the turnover there must now be plenty of room in the budget for incomings, and I expect that is the case as we will sign several between now and the start of the season.

Just a point for correctness, it is only fair to add Halliday, McLean and Blaney into the incomings, which doubles the number. The latter two, although signed as future prospects, are expected to challenge for a first team place at some point. Probably more than a few of those outgoings did.

Yes sorry I meant the year before,
Regarding blaney etc we have also let a lot of the young players leave since then too who were on contracts back then.

Regarding new contracts then I’m sure they will have made a small impact but not to the same extent as players leaving the wage bill altogether.
I agree with Johnathon we should have plenty of funds available now and I do think we will spend it and come the first game of the season we will have a starting 11 which will give us something to be enthusiastic about   

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 16, 2019, 04:34:40 pm by redarmy82 »

I don't need to.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2019, 05:18:42 pm by vaya »

I don't need to.

Comedy gold.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 16, 2019, 05:21:57 pm by redarmy82 »

I don't need to.

Comedy gold.

Yawn.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 17, 2019, 02:55:54 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
...And we’ve brought in, Crawford, Anderson, sadlier....

Stop press! Brad Halliday signed  :ohmy:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012