Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 12:53:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Time to give VAR the Boot  (Read 1931 times)

deebee

• Forum Member
Time to give VAR the Boot
« on June 20, 2019, 08:29:45 am by deebee »
Having now watched most women's world cup games I must say how VAR has completely ruined the matches. They have got so many decisions wrong when using VAR it was better before they had it. There have been times when it should have been a penalty and times when it wasn't but still given, plus it is taking far to long to use. Without VAR Scotland would still be in the cup they have has such a raw deal from officials it must be hard to take. The only team who seem to be benefiting from VAR is France and there's no surprise there. Get rid I say it's more controversial than the refs before it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: Time to give VAR the Boot
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2019, 08:33:28 am by Retdon1 »
I can’t stand it. I think the introduction of goal line technology has been great because it’s literally a yes or no decision. I wouldn't be against only using VAR for offsides because again it’s a yes or no decision but everything else is just a matter of opinion. What you might think is a penalty, I might think isn’t

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2019, 09:48:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looks like the VAR decisions were right though.

It would seem very harsh on the Scottish keeper but she did come off her line. Will be interesting to see how many retaken penalties there will be with the new technology while there continues to be a liberal interpretation of the keepers coming off their lines in non VAR matches across the land.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2019, 09:51:53 am by silent majority »
I hate VAR. For simple black and white scenarios then goal line technology will suffice, but nothing that needs interpretation away from the pitch.

The England fans gave their opinion in Portugal quite recently!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2019, 10:44:08 am by IDM »
VAR will be OK if used correctly and equitably.

With the France penalty, the VAR review was correct to give a foul, and technically the retake too.

However the retake also seemed to have some French forwards encroaching which wasn’t picked up.?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2019, 10:59:22 am by the vicar »
There should be no VAR if it is not used in every single game

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2019, 11:08:24 am by niteowler »
Its only been brought in for the armchair supporters !

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2019, 11:13:12 am by Chris Black come back »
Looks like the VAR decisions were right though.

It would seem very harsh on the Scottish keeper but she did come off her line. Will be interesting to see how many retaken penalties there will be with the new technology while there continues to be a liberal interpretation of the keepers coming off their lines in non VAR matches across the land.

This is correct. The Scottish keeper cheated and so the penalty deserved to be retaken. I guess without VAR the referee might have seen anyway.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2019, 11:41:44 am by bobjimwilly »
VAR should simply have been allowing ref to review himself, not introducing the extra referees making decision for him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2019, 11:48:25 am by RoversAlias »
I've said all along there should be a limit on it, I think a system similar to the NFL's Challenge system would work fine, incorporate the 4th Official to relay the challenge to the referee and give only 2 a game, or per half. The burden of accountability is somewhat eased on the referees in this method too.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2019, 12:14:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
VAR should simply have been allowing ref to review himself, not introducing the extra referees making decision for him.

Wouldn't that increase the accusion of bent refs if errors were not highlighted? I'm still torn as to whether the ref should do the review himself. Two pairs of eyes are better than one.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2019, 12:21:45 pm by Bessie Red »
Having now watched most women's world cup games I must say how VAR has completely ruined the matches. They have got so many decisions wrong when using VAR it was better before they had it. There have been times when it should have been a penalty and times when it wasn't but still given, plus it is taking far to long to use. Without VAR Scotland would still be in the cup they have has such a raw deal from officials it must be hard to take. The only team who seem to be benefiting from VAR is France and there's no surprise there. Get rid I say it's more controversial than the refs before it.
I thought VAR was introduced to overrule clear and obvious mistakes by the ref not to see if a keeper was millimetres off their line when a pennos is taken.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2019, 12:25:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's the assistants job to ensure the keeper doesn't encroach. If the Keeper does then it's a clear and obvious error, isn't it?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2019, 01:35:02 pm by Bessie Red »
It's the assistants job to ensure the keeper doesn't encroach. If the Keeper does then it's a clear and obvious error, isn't it?
I don't know do you?

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2019, 01:45:28 pm by DevilMayCry »
These days at the U21 championship, VAR made the difference in almost all the matches.

Btw, tomorrow is the match Romania - England, and a win for us is almost equal with a qualification in the semi-finals.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2019, 04:19:14 pm by POD »

However the retake also seemed to have some French forwards encroaching which wasn’t picked up.?

Just read the new rules on VAR on the BBC Sport website.  The rule for penalty area encroachment is that there will only be a retake if the player who encroached gets involved in play if the kick is saved or the ball rebounds off the woodwork.  There appears to be no punishment for encroachment if a goal is scored directly from the penalty kick. 
So on that basis, the decision on the French women’s penalty was correct as a goal was scored. 
We won’t have VAR in our league next season, so I’m not sure if the same rule will apply when the officials are adjudicating?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2019, 04:21:20 pm by IDM »
Fair enough, however I read that to mean VAR wouldn’t be used for encroachment unless under those circumstances..

However is encroachment still an offence if the officials see it, without VAR.?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 20, 2019, 06:28:09 pm by Superspy »
Personally I love VAR...although I seem to be in a minority. In a huge majority of decisions where I've seen VAR play a part, the correct decision has been arrived at, and that's all I want, so it is fair. It hasn't taken anything away from games for me....but again, I seem to be in a minority. Where people disagree with the way the current rules are being interpreted with it (hand ball\ball to hand\body shape, etc) is a different issue.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 20, 2019, 06:36:02 pm by IDM »
Would there have been as much of an outcry had that one last night not been an injury time equaliser knocking Scotland’s women out.?

Had that been Argentina’s first goal would theee have been the same reaction.?

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 20, 2019, 06:40:06 pm by deebee »
The goalkeeper may have come off the line but I didn't think it was a pen to start with. The player got a touch on the ball before catching the Argie. In the Scotland v Japan game, there was a double handball by the Japanese player didn't even go to VAR. In the France v Norway game a penalty was given after the Norway player kicked the ball and the French player jumped in two-footed ( a red card offense) but still managed to win a penalty.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012