Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:21:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One outside the box  (Read 1376 times)

selby

• VSC Member
One outside the box
« on June 21, 2019, 11:35:27 am by selby »
 I genuinely hope that Grant does not leave our club, especially at this time of the year when putting a squad together is so important.
   However, football being football, like quite a few on here I was surprised at the approach initially,  but  not surprised that we are being raided by another club, who see us as an easy touch when they see something or body they can get cheap ( how come the Lincoln manager is much dearer to acquire).
   As always happens we the supporters then turn our thoughts to who will replace our manager if he does leave, and some of the usual people who have been talked about in the past come up again, the same old same old.
 My approach would be to the Accrington manager,but that would show us to be no better than Hull, pinching someone off another club, dog eat dog.
  So I tried to think of someone who would be a complete surprise, would know where we want to go, who I thought may have the tactical and coaching ability, and the forceful character a manager requires, and importantly would not cost the earth.
  to my mind Andy Butler would fit that bill, some would say a risk, but isn't anyone that we appoint. He knows the club, has coaching ambitions,would know most of the players in this and division 2 and their capabilities, and is a genuine strong, but likable personality.
  I know that some will say I am mad, maybe I am, and as I said I hope we don't even have to consider anyone else, and keep Grant, but I would have no problems if Andy Butler was given the reins.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Re: One outside the box
« Reply #1 on June 21, 2019, 11:36:54 am by redarmy82 »
I genuinely hope that Grant does not leave our club, especially at this time of the year when putting a squad together is so important.
   However, football being football, like quite a few on here I was surprised at the approach initially,  but  not surprised that we are being raided by another club, who see us as an easy touch when they see something or body they can get cheap ( how come the Lincoln manager is much dearer to acquire).
   As always happens we the supporters then turn our thoughts to who will replace our manager if he does leave, and some of the usual people who have been talked about in the past come up again, the same old same old.
 My approach would be to the Accrington manager,but that would show us to be no better than Hull, pinching someone off another club, dog eat dog.
  So I tried to think of someone who would be a complete surprise, would know where we want to go, who I thought may have the tactical and coaching ability, and the forceful character a manager requires, and importantly would not cost the earth.
  to my mind Andy Butler would fit that bill, some would say a risk, but isn't anyone that we appoint. He knows the club, has coaching ambitions,would know most of the players in this and division 2 and their capabilities, and is a genuine strong, but likable personality.
  I know that some will say I am mad, maybe I am, and as I said I hope we don't even have to consider anyone else, and keep Grant, but I would have no problems if Andy Butler was given the reins.

You do know Butler has left?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 21, 2019, 11:41:57 am by RoversAlias »
John Coleman is not for me. He has done wonderously well at Accrington but when he left for Rochdale it didn't go well. He's an old school manager, which works for Stanley, but it wouldn't fit here.

Andy Butler? I love him, I'd love to see him return one day but I don't know where he's at with his coaching and I am certain he believes he has several years as a player still in the tank, hence departing to Scunny instead of taking our offer of a coaching pathway.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 21, 2019, 11:48:37 am by RugbyRover »
Just posted the same idea (on another thread) about AB coming back as Player Manager. Great minds and all that......

We would have to get the obligatory "old hand" to help out, but I can see it working.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 21, 2019, 12:07:51 pm by selby »
 Red, I know I am knocking on, but yes I am just as aware of the fact Andy Butler, like every other likely applicant is likely not  to work for us, it does not mean that we could  ask Scunthorpe to approach him in the unlikely  event that the club want to.
  It is just a discussion point, if you don't want to don't.
  Rugby Rover, great minds and all that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:12:04 pm by selby »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 21, 2019, 12:40:27 pm by RobTheRover »
Selby, he's signed a contract to play at Scunthorpe. We would need to buy him out of that first for any of your hypothesis to work.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 21, 2019, 12:46:32 pm by acacia94 »
Ahh....redarmy82   'You do know Butler has left' has got me pissing myself. Superb.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 21, 2019, 03:31:13 pm by selby »
  I think he may still be our player until the last day of this month by the way.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012