Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:22:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Call me a moody sod but  (Read 2427 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Call me a moody sod but
« on August 29, 2019, 03:56:18 pm by phil old leake »
How many times are players noted as being really good players but don’t get international recognition and then suddenly they go to one of our supposed top clubs and they’re worthy

What has Wan Bissaka done this season that has improved him so much that suddenly makes him England quality. I’d argue nothing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Call me a moody sod but
« Reply #1 on August 29, 2019, 04:00:28 pm by Metalmicky »
Moody sod......

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 29, 2019, 04:00:48 pm by glosterred »
You're moody sod

COYR

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 29, 2019, 04:01:12 pm by GazLaz »
He’s looked quite good so far. Performing for a big club is harder than performing for a lesser team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 29, 2019, 04:01:40 pm by NickDRFC »
In some cases I would agree but not this one. Wan-Bissaka didn’t get picked last year as two of our right backs had come off the back of a decent World Cup (Walker, Trippier) and the other was first choice (and playing extremely well) at one of the best clubs in the country. Southgate now seems to have called time on Walker and AWB has a full season of PL experience. If he was still at Palace I bet he would still be in the squad.

Not sure why Trippier is in there, though, seems a wasted squad place.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 29, 2019, 04:14:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Not sure why Micheal Keane get's in the squad every time i see him he's no good. It does generally feel like we've got a better talent pool recently

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 29, 2019, 04:17:00 pm by RoversAlias »
It's not as if it's completely out of nowhere. He was playing in the U21s and Gareth Southgate has clearly thought "I need better than Kyle Walker" and has assessed his best options of those behind him in the pecking order and the U21s, and decided Wan-Bissaka is the answer.

We've certainly had this "big club selection" problem before though. Didn't Roy Hodgson basically admit he'd rather select an underperforming player from a top six club than a guy in decent form from a lesser side?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 29, 2019, 04:29:23 pm by MachoMadness »
TA-A has the position sewn up for the next 10 years anyway.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 29, 2019, 06:39:23 pm by Bollinger »
How many times are players noted as being really good players but don’t get international recognition and then suddenly they go to one of our supposed top clubs and they’re worthy

What has Wan Bissaka done this season that has improved him so much that suddenly makes him England quality. I’d argue nothing.

I've often though that.

Plenty of examples of players promoted to full caps having not been worthy of it before signing for a big club. Steve Daley was the first I can remember. Malcolm Allison made him their first £1m+ signing at Man City and he was in the England squad shortly after. He didn't do much at City and in the end I'm not sure he ever got a full cap.

Jump to Dean Sheils. Falls out of favour with Northern Ireland with Rovers, ends up at Rangers when Rangers were demoted to Division 3 and immediately back in the Northern Ireland squad despite turning out every weekend against part-timers.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 29, 2019, 09:06:59 pm by boro_rover »
If you look at Wan Bissaka’s record for palace last season you will get an idea of why he got a move to Man U and also why he is in the squad. He had some of the best stats for defenders in the PL. last season he won 129/139 tackles which was more than any other player in the division. Considering he was facing the likes of hazard, son, Felipe Anderson, sane etc I would say that is very impressive. He had the second most interceptions in the league last year with 84. He was also the defender with the second most successful dribbles.

He is due his first cap, but it was difficult last year for him as Trippier had a decent World Cup and he also had walker to contend with.

With him and Alexander-Arnold on the rise that position looks pretty good for England for the next ten years.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 29, 2019, 09:14:45 pm by Dare to dream! »
Jesse Lingard...say no more.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 30, 2019, 08:58:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Mental age of school kid. Probably one with ADHD.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 30, 2019, 09:18:04 pm by phil old leake »
Southgate when appointed said he would pick players on form.   Jesse Lingard.  Say no more

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 30, 2019, 09:23:40 pm by DaveDRFC »
All I've gleaned from the thread is that Phil Old Leake doesn't like Manchester United.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2019, 07:26:21 am by phil old leake »
That’s an absolute load of rubbish.  I feel that players at bigger clubs are treated differently and should be picked on merit / form alone.  A perfect example is Lingard. Why do the likes of A Barnes rarely get a look in. Throughout the years there have been numerous examples.  Another was Le Tissier who wasn’t picked enough

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2019, 07:47:52 am by Rovers91 »
Wan Bissaka deserves a call up but how Lingard gets a call up is criminal. He doesn't get assists or score anywhere near as many goals as he should for the position he plays. Hes the most overrated crock of shit in premiership.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 31, 2019, 12:46:02 pm by phil old leake »
See that the England forward picked on form is in the bench again let’s see if Lingard even gets on

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 31, 2019, 12:54:11 pm by NickDRFC »
I’m not really sure why Daniel James isn’t in the squad, he’s had a great start to the season 😂😜

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 31, 2019, 01:44:15 pm by Hounslowrover »
Isn't Daniel James Welsh?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 31, 2019, 01:53:31 pm by drfchound »
Isn't Daniel James Welsh?

Yep, played for the national team four times.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012