Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:50:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps-watch (Health warning, contains stats)  (Read 12505 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Copps-watch (Health warning, contains stats)
« on September 09, 2019, 02:37:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Following other threads here are a few updated Copps stats after the Rotherham match:

1.   His 558th league appearance for Rovers now puts him in equal 49th position of players with league appearances for one club – he is tied with David O’Leary making 558 league appearances for Arsenal. There are a few just ahead of him he should catch very soon, and if he were to appear in all 44 league matches this season his theoretical maximum of 597 would put him equal 21st. All time leader is John Trollope with 770 league appearances for Swindon.

2.   In parallel, this now puts Rovers equal 37th with Arsenal for the list of League clubs ordered by highest league appearance maker.

3.   Copps has now made 631 first team appearances in all competitions for Rovers.

4.   His goal against Rotherham was his 71st for the club in all competitions (62nd in the League). He is 6th on both club goalscoring lists (equal 6th on the list of League goalscorers, tied with John Marquis). The only player he can realistically overtake would be Brendan O’Callaghan with 76 goals (64 in the League).

5.   Copps is now third on the list of Rovers players ordered by time between first and last goals. Last Saturday’s goal was 5033 days after his goal at Belle Vue against Bristol City on 26 November 2005. He is behind Alick Jeffrey (5068 days) and Alan Warboys (5719 days). Of course, unlike Copps, both of those players had two spells at the club with a long break in between.  Note Glyn Snodin had 7990 days between his first goal for Rovers and a goal he scored in the regional Sheffield Senior Challenge Cup in 1999 when assistant manager. This competition is not counted as a full competitive first team fixture.

6.   If there is interest I can regularly update this post, particularly the first two points.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Copps-watch (Health warning, contains stats)
« Reply #1 on September 09, 2019, 05:20:01 pm by roversdude »
Amazing as per usual DU
BST was musing over the number of league starts

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 09, 2019, 05:22:24 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I would trust soccerbase which has 499, so all being well this weekend will be 500.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 09, 2019, 05:32:22 pm by philsky »

I imagine he's played in every one of our huge games dating back to Man City, Villa etc

If he ever chose to write his autobiography I'd be in the queue to buy it.

Chapters on the Experiment, the SOD style of football and his '1 to 11 at DRFC'' would be fascinating.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 09, 2019, 05:38:38 pm by NickDRFC »

I imagine he's played in every one of our huge games dating back to Man City, Villa etc

Chapters on the Experiment, the SOD style of football and his '1 to 11 at DRFC'' would be fascinating.

Sadly I’m not sure that he has the profile for an autobiography but you’re right, it would be a fascinating read.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 09, 2019, 05:41:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Amazing as per usual DU

Great credit must go to The Red Baron and Bristol Red Rover in compiling the list of players with 500+ league appearances - very much a team effort.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 09, 2019, 05:58:03 pm by Chris Black come back »

Love to get the JR autobiography out every so often. “My singular role in ending the Cold War” and other chapters. A great, great man.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 09, 2019, 06:12:08 pm by tommy toes »

Sadly I’m not sure that he has the profile for an autobiography but you’re right, it would be a fascinating read.

Oh I don't know. I've read those of Chris Hargreaves and John Parkin.
Neither of whom were big stars but both books were fascinating reads.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 09, 2019, 07:11:23 pm by Branton Rover »
Not the profile for an autobiography? Christ sake there has been plenty of nondescripts have books published - the one that springs to mind is the actor who played Private Sponge on Dads Army springs to mind -
The fact that his career has crossed generations having started playing with the likes of Stuart Pearce, John Barnes & Alan Shearer to the modern day game - I say it would be a fascinating read on the difference between then & now

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 09, 2019, 07:17:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Amazing as per usual DU

Great credit must go to The Red Baron and Bristol Red Rover in compiling the list of players with 500+ league appearances - very much a team effort.

Thanks, but that's all TRB, at least nothing to do with me.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 09, 2019, 07:22:56 pm by philsky »

Oh I don't know. I've read those of Chris Hargreaves and John Parkin.
Neither of whom were big stars but both books were fascinating reads.

My thoughts too.

I have McIndoes book and it was pretty decent but hearing about c16 years of one club and the turmoil and the joys over that time surely has potential !

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 09, 2019, 07:55:01 pm by roversdude »
Guys I doff my cap to your (collective) knowledge well done

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 10, 2019, 01:18:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DU.

Yeah, but is that 558 starts PLUS substitute appearances?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 10, 2019, 01:29:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »
DU.

Yeah, but is that 558 starts PLUS substitute appearances?

According to soccerbase, 499 starts plus 59 sub appearances equals 558 total appearances. The 558 total is definitely right, and I have no reason to doubt that 59 of those were as sub.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 10, 2019, 02:00:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I know Dutch. I know!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 10, 2019, 02:27:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just seen the other thread  ;)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 10, 2019, 05:22:19 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Some more League only Copps stats (thanks Dutch! ;) )

Definitely his 500th start next up. He's been sub 59 times. He's been subbed 205 times which is once in every 2.4 starts.

His average mins per game (not including added time) is 77.1, last season was 70.9

He's averaged 694 minutes per goal.

He's played a total of 43,045 minutes, which is 717 hours, or nearly 30 days, longer than a Lunar cycle.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 10, 2019, 05:43:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Definitely his 500th start next up. He's been sub 59 times. He's been subbed 205 times which is once in every 2.4 starts.

His average mins per game (not including added time) is 77.1, last season was 70.9

He's played a total of 43,045 minutes, which is 717 hours, or nearly 30 days, longer than a Lunar cycle.

Definitely all your hard work there BRR - I spotted just one tiny oversight.   :thumbsup:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 10, 2019, 06:16:40 pm by drfchound »

Definitely all your hard work there BRR - I spotted just one tiny oversight.   :thumbsup:

Would that be that added on minutes are not included in the number of minutes played?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 10, 2019, 06:58:31 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Would that be that added on minutes are not included in the number of minutes played?

The stats are based on 90 mins game time, so without checking on each game I'll go with that. You could add a reasonable average of 4 mins per game including 1 min first and 3 second half additions, which makes a fair difference. Taking into account subs both ways, that would bring it to around:

44603 total mins, ie over a day extra, a whisker short of 31 days.
719 mins per goal.
Ave of 79.9 mins per game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 10, 2019, 07:12:35 pm by drfchound »

The stats are based on 90 mins game time, so without checking on each game I'll go with that. You could add a reasonable average of 4 mins per game including 1 min first and 3 second half additions, which makes a fair difference. Taking into account subs both ways, that would bring it to around:

44603 total mins, ie over a day extra, a whisker short of 31 days.
719 mins per goal.
Ave of 79.9 mins per game.

Agreed BRR, I was just guessing what DUs suggested oversight was.
I thought your stats would have been based on 90 minutes per game. 👍

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 11, 2019, 09:17:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
So far this season Copps has scored 2 league goals.

The most he has scored at League One or Championship level is 7 (Championship, 2010-11 season) and the most at League One level itself, is 5 (League One, 2005-06 season).

It is definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that after this start, this season could be his best ever return at this level.

He has only once reached double figures in league goals for us, with 10 in League Two (2016-17 season). Less said about that season the better though.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 11, 2019, 10:29:09 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
So far this season Copps has scored 2 league goals.

The most he has scored at League One or Championship level is 7 (Championship, 2010-11 season) and the most at League One level itself, is 5 (League One, 2005-06 season).

It is definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that after this start, this season could be his best ever return at this level.

He has only once reached double figures in league goals for us, with 10 in League Two (2016-17 season). Less said about that season the better though.

In the promotion through the play offs, didn't he bag 6?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 11, 2019, 10:57:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
Unfair but play off goals usually don’t get added to official totals. That season (2007/08) he did as you say score three in the regular league season, then the hat trick in the play off semi-final second leg against Southend United. Total of 6 goals.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 21, 2019, 06:08:44 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Update after the Peterboro game:

Copps' 561 appearances now make him equal 47th with Charlie Aitken of Aston Villa in the list of players with league appearances for one club, having now also overtaken Lewis Carey of Bristol City (559)

Rovers are now equal 36th with Aston Villa in the list of League clubs ordered by highest league appearance maker.

His goal today takes him to only 20 days behind Alick Jeffrey for days between first and last goals for the club, with only Alan Warboys with more than that.

His 63rd league goal takes him above John Marquis, and only 1 behind Brendan O'Callaghan who is 5th on that list.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 21, 2019, 07:00:35 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
...His 63rd league goal takes him above John Marquis, and only 1 behind Brendan O'Callaghan who is 5th on that list.

I have Marquis on 61, Callaghan on 65.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 22, 2019, 12:03:09 am by Dutch Uncle »
...His 63rd league goal takes him above John Marquis, and only 1 behind Brendan O'Callaghan who is 5th on that list.

Apologies for my Marquis error, I had somehow counted one of his cup goals.

I believe in our survey of those 79 ‘disputed’ goals that Brendan ‘lost’ a goal to Peter Kitchen in a 2-0 win at Crewe, thus giving PK 25 that season

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 23, 2019, 10:22:21 am by Jonathan »
Please keep this thread going throughout the season. Puts into context the continuing achievements of our greatest ever player (in my opinion).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:16:09 am by Jonathan »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 23, 2019, 11:52:51 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Apologies for my Marquis error, I had somehow counted one of his cup goals.

I believe in our survey of those 79 ‘disputed’ goals that Brendan ‘lost’ a goal to Peter Kitchen in a 2-0 win at Crewe, thus giving PK 25 that season

Ah, thanks for that. Yep, you're right about the Kitch goal, hard to keep up. Will ammend things my end  :thumbsup:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 23, 2019, 12:22:03 pm by drfchound »
When his legs finally do “go” can we get him some prosthetic ones because his brains would still get him through matches.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012