Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:21:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jordan Stevens, Leeds Utd, suspended for betting.  (Read 2588 times)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
Jordan Stevens, Leeds Utd, suspended for betting.
« on September 10, 2019, 03:23:50 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49649447

Any comments? Anyone really interested?
I suppose a 6-week ban might seem a bit disproportionate, but he knew when he placed the first bet that it was against the rules, but then he placed a further 58 bets, for heaven’s sake!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:30:03 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Jordan Stevens, Leeds Utd, suspended for betting.
« Reply #1 on September 10, 2019, 04:35:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He's lucky it's not a lifetime ban. The rules are clear about footballers betting on ANY match. And betting on your own side is so far out of acceptable that he must be as thick as mince not to understand that.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 10, 2019, 05:17:31 pm by jackthelad »
I think he is very lucky to only get a six week ban,foolish though and probably nothing in it other than a bit of interest. Afterall his average stake was £10.00, it hardly reeks of match fixing or anything dodgy.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 10, 2019, 05:48:45 pm by drfcsteve »
Fined £1,200? He will have won substantially more than that if he's been betting with inside information, if he knew what he was doing.

Banning him from all footballing activity seems proportionate, given he's (potentially) been making money from the bookies thorough his involvement in footballing activity.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 10, 2019, 05:51:03 pm by drfchound »
I find it hard to believe that his club are saying he is being hard done by.
He broke the rules, the club know that.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 10, 2019, 06:25:20 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Don’t forget hound, this is Leeds we’re talking about....Champions of Europe etc!

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 10, 2019, 06:31:54 pm by ChrisBx »
Fined £1,200? He will have won substantially more than that if he's been betting with inside information, if he knew what he was doing.

Banning him from all footballing activity seems proportionate, given he's (potentially) been making money from the bookies thorough his involvement in footballing activity.

5 of the 59 games he placed bets on involved Leeds. He didn't play in any of those 5 games. I think your concerns about him profiting from "inside information" is a bit of a reach based on the information available.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 10, 2019, 07:32:25 pm by drfcsteve »
It doesn't matter whether he played or not. He knew tactics, how the players had done in training that week, who was in form, who wasn't feeling it etc etc.

There's a very good reason it's against the rules.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 10, 2019, 07:43:54 pm by jackthelad »

5 of the 59 games he placed bets on involved Leeds. He didn't play in any of those 5 games. I think your concerns about him profiting from "inside information" is a bit of a reach based on the information available.

Agreed, he's been foolish and I'm sure he will regret it.

However providing the information in that article is correct then he's clearly not been making money on it with inside information.
If that was the case I am sure he would of staked more than £600 on a total of 59 bets.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 10, 2019, 08:27:53 pm by dickos1 »
Banned from training or interacting with staff seems ludicrous to me.
He’s a young lad who’s homesick, and all the stuff in the news about footballers suffering depression and other mental issues.
I think it’s ridiculous he can’t continue to train

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 10, 2019, 11:07:11 pm by ChrisBx »
It doesn't matter whether he played or not. He knew tactics, how the players had done in training that week, who was in form, who wasn't feeling it etc etc.

There's a very good reason it's against the rules.

I'm not saying it's not against the rules and I agree that the rules are in place for good reason. However, there is no evidence that the player was profiting from inside information; we don't even know what bets he was placing.

His explanation seems plausible, and did leave me feeling some empathy for him. He's a young player who is clearly going through a rough time and has failed to deal with this appropriately.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 11, 2019, 08:41:27 am by Bessie Red »
Made me laugh when I read the club's statement and saw "a foolish mistake". Once would be a foolish mistake not 59 times!!

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 11, 2019, 08:49:17 am by jackthelad »
People are really quite unforgiving.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 11, 2019, 09:13:46 am by idler »
Made me laugh when I read the club's statement and saw "a foolish mistake". Once would be a foolish mistake not 59 times!!
If he didn't realise that he was doing wrong he would carry on doing it until told otherwise wouldn't he.
It's hard to believe he didn't tell someone what he was doing that did know that it was wrong though.
Maybe all players at professional clubs should be told this and have it written into contracts as young as possible.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 11, 2019, 11:05:44 am by DMnumber4 »
Small fry compared to Joey Barton, who let's not forget, is a manager and has responsibility of 25 senior pros.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 11, 2019, 06:00:19 pm by Branton Rover »
Pathetic none punishment typical of today’s society when Peter Swan & Bronco Lane did similar in the 60’s they faced jail & a lifetime football ban not a tickling stick & 6 weeks sat at home with mummy

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 11, 2019, 08:16:28 pm by dickos1 »
Pathetic none punishment typical of today’s society when Peter Swan & Bronco Lane did similar in the 60’s they faced jail & a lifetime football ban not a tickling stick & 6 weeks sat at home with mummy

Are you on the wind up
It’s like saying murder and common assault are the same things

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 13, 2019, 07:25:49 am by One_Matty_Lucas »

I'm sure its accumulators, where he has picked 10 teams so counts as 10 bets.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012