Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:19:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wimbledon FA cup game AND the replay  (Read 15017 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wimbledon FA cup game
« Reply #60 on November 09, 2019, 10:07:18 pm by drfchound »
Very brave header by big Tom.
I thought Sads should have done better with his header from the Copps cross.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on November 09, 2019, 11:12:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think Wright should have done better with their goal. He didn't adjust his feet enough to get into position to head the ball. It was in the air long enough and shouldn't be going over his head.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 10, 2019, 03:36:52 am by godlike1 »
How did Amos, Wright and Gomes do? Did we cope better with playing out from the back?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on November 10, 2019, 06:52:37 am by Chris Black come back »
Amos played well and from that one game, it is clear he has both a good cross and even better corner in him. Gomes was good, neat, tidy. Wright looked a bit shaky at times against their no9 I think it was but a good return. Interesting he always looked to give the ball to Big Tom to distribute out from back.

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wimbledon FA cup game AND the replay
« Reply #64 on November 10, 2019, 09:12:28 am by drfchound »
Interesting that CBCB.
I remember when Tom first joined us that people were calling him Bambi on Ice and saying how he was rubbish on the ball.
How well has he done since then.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on November 10, 2019, 09:49:57 am by selby »
  Somebody just put PHEW, well I definitely thought the same, we were not at our best, could have won, could have lost, an enjoyable game to watch, with both sides having chances to win the tie, and at the same time making mistakes that could have cost them the game.
  One of the outstanding things in the game viewed in the second half was the leadership qualities of Coppinger. Not only was he the most talented player on the field, but his encouragement, and the obvious response to his verbal promptings, which were obvious from behind the goal were one of the most interesting points in the game.
   For instance, our goal came when he called Amos over from forty yards away to actually take the kick instead of himself, a great bit of leadership.
   Every player who played in the game on both sides played well, Wimbledon attacked in wide areas, with players that hugged the touchline, and gave our defenders problems on both sides exploiting the space there. While we played the better intricate push and run  close football.
   Both keepers made terrific saves, and could be faulted for the goals slightly, but the result was about right for me, although I thought  we had a couple of players whose energy levels were not quite there, I don't think we are aware of just how the BUG has effected our squad.
   As mentioned, Thomas had a decent game,and put himself about,and hopefully can find another yard of pace, which would make him a real handful, and Gomes also didn't let anyone down, tended to play a little negative, no real bad thing if keeping possession, but could at times be more adventurous at times, and look to set the others  away, he is proving a good young addition and is visibly getting more confident and improving as a player, which is testament to the coaching staff, as is Amos who also played well, and did not look out of place.
  So on to the replay, by no means a given, but important to keep our form going, and by then both teams will know who lies in their path if they win, and also gives us a game to look forward to in our stop start season.
   I have included the game in this thread because of the great contributions already written by the contributors last week, and thought it would be interesting to add to the already great points made by the posters, and interesting to look back.
   One last point on yesterdays game, which was an open play affair, while watching I couldn't help thinking about Whiteman, well as others played, it was a game to suit him down to the ground, with things happening on the edge of the Wimbledon penalty area.
   He could well have been a major player in a result yesterday, to me he was a major miss and that is not criticising anyone who played,  the game was made for him.   

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 10, 2019, 09:57:35 am by Chris Black come back »
Another 90mins for Copps in what were atrocious conditions at a very tough ground and in a bold and thunder cup tie. This guy has unbelievable stamina. Some of the stuff yesterday from him was superb. He was through twice but fluffed his lines but that aside was superb.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on November 10, 2019, 10:50:38 am by Campsall rover »
While i agree with your summary Selby ( Brian ) and your comments on Copps CBcb
Neither of you mentioned Ben Sheaf.
I thought he was outstanding and without Whiteman ( no disrespect to Gomes, who did well ) he took the responsibility of being the anchor we needed in midfield.
I think a lot of us forget he is only 20 yrs old and most of his performances this season have been mature well beyond his years.
He is not a flashy player and goes unnoticed i think at times. Consequently he doesn’t receive the plaudits he deserves.
How many tackles he made yesterday i don’t know but he didn’t half put himself about and then uses the ball effectively when he has won it. Can only remember 1 misplaced pass from him yesterday.

Well done Ben you are my M.O. M.  :thumbsup:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on November 10, 2019, 11:13:15 am by selby »
  No arguments From me Paul, he did have a good game as you say, is a good ball winner and is confident with the ball at his feet as you say a very good young player who is a pleasure to watch, and frighteningly is only getting better, as are others.
  The mix of youth and experience is now showing what potential this group of players have, and with the guidance they are getting can only hold hope of better things to come from them.
  Consistency is going to be the key, as well as recruitment in the transfer window, which could prove a hard balancing act for the management team, not to upset the progress we are making as a group.
   My M.O.M. though would have to be Coppinger, great skill, leadership, and drive in the latter half of the game, being near to the pitch behind the goal you could see his desire to try and win that game.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on November 10, 2019, 11:24:17 am by Campsall rover »
Yes Brian agree Copps showed huge desire to win that match second half and led from the front as captain.
Showed his fitness. What a player. Is he bionic do you think? Hard to believe he is just flesh an blood like the rest of us.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on November 10, 2019, 11:45:03 am by roversdude »
Hopefully the fact that Sheaf and Dieng played means we might sign them

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on November 10, 2019, 12:20:17 pm by Campsall rover »
Hopefully the fact that Sheaf and Dieng played means we might sign them
I hope so as would be 2 brilliant signings. Young quality players with a big future.
Championship quality which is what i am sure we will need in the not too distant future.  :that:

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on November 10, 2019, 12:48:54 pm by since-1969 »
Who has the memorabilia in their trophy cabinet?

Is Mk Dons ( formally Wimbledon 1988 fa cup winners)

Or

AFC Wimbledon ( formally nobodies)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on November 10, 2019, 01:27:40 pm by NewDonny »
Sheaf good player wrong colour

Are you on some sort of fishing expedition to get a reaction with this post?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on November 10, 2019, 01:33:12 pm by IDM »

Get the f**k out.!!

The only colour of importance is the colour of the shirts they wear..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 10, 2019, 01:34:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Explain Esdaille. Are you just being a pi...ck as usual or does that statement actually have a meaning?
You know, I don’t know why i am even asking?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on November 10, 2019, 01:35:35 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Or

As I posted earlier in this thread - MK Dons at least had the decency to distance themselves from the former Wimbledon’s history in 2007, and all the trophies etc were given to the London Borough of Merton.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on November 10, 2019, 01:37:23 pm by IDM »

Or

MK Dons are not the continuation of the original Wimbledon FC, they just took over their football league share as a franchise.

They gave the original Wimbledon memorabilia back to Merton council in about 2007:.

AFC Wimbledon are not the same club as the original either, but they are the natural successor and the “same” club in spirit. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 10, 2019, 08:53:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Glad to hear the comments about Sheaf. He's definitely growing in stature and confidence and, he's not shy of doing a trick or two to change direction.

Certainly agree it would be a great signing for the now and future if we could give him a permanent home!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on November 10, 2019, 09:38:49 pm by selby »
  The way Arsenal are playing Sheaf could be of use there.  By the way, the odds on another cup tie at ice station Oldham have shortened today, if we  win the replay that is.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:43:26 pm by selby »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 10, 2019, 09:45:45 pm by Campsall rover »
  The way Arsenal are playing Sheaf could be of use there.  By the way, the odds on another cup tie at ice station Oldham have shortened today, if we  win the replay that is.
Don’t give Emre any ideas Brian. We want him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on November 10, 2019, 09:55:31 pm by Campsall rover »
If we got Oldham this season that I think that would be 6 times in the last 13 seasons going back to 2007/08
Would that be some sort of record.
Dutch Uncle over to you or someone else who might have the stats.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:07:38 pm by Campsall rover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 10, 2019, 11:18:28 pm by steve@dcfd »
Explain Esdaille. Are you just being a pi...ck as usual or does that statement actually have a meaning?
This the second time he’s posted about colour and then deletes the post. Yet he is allowed to continue to post. Double standards by the administration of the board.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on November 11, 2019, 07:39:50 am by IDM »
His post will have been removed by the admin. I can imagine that several posters will have reported it.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 11, 2019, 09:53:08 am by drfc1951 »
Hes the same guy I posted about on another thread.When he replies to Liam Hodens tweets about DM he makes comments about colour.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on November 11, 2019, 11:06:23 am by Donnywolf »

Sorry I am be thick (sometimes am) but why would Sheaf be "wrong colour".

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on November 11, 2019, 11:13:06 am by IDM »
He wears our red and white, occasionally blue..

Maybe the poster thinks Sheaf should play for a club whose shirts are yellow, or green maybe.?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on November 11, 2019, 11:42:23 am by knockers »

Sorry I am be thick (sometimes am) but why would Sheaf be "wrong colour".

I think he is trying to say that DM only signs black players and therefore would not sign Sheaf

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on November 11, 2019, 01:16:19 pm by Donnywolf »
Ah - thanks for answering that for me.

I thought I had gone mad - but that makes total sense now someone has marked my card lol

Cheers again

Forum Admin

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on November 11, 2019, 03:30:23 pm by Forum Admin »
This the second time he’s posted about colour and then deletes the post. Yet he is allowed to continue to post. Double standards by the administration of the board.

Care to expand on that Steve? I'm sure you have the full facts at your disposal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012