Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:41:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Worst Red Card  (Read 5751 times)

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
Worst Red Card
« on November 07, 2019, 08:44:36 pm by 5 on Tour »
Hopefully a fun thread. What’s the worst red card you’ve ever seen?

We have a genuine contender for it tonight in the Europa League. Ludogorets have just gone down to 9 men in the 36th minute(away at Espanyol). The 2nd red is absolutely unbelievable. Defender stood on the edge of his box(maybe 2 inches inside the box) surrounded by others defenders. Attacker has blasted the ball from about 2 feet away and it’s hit his hand. Hand is basically next to his hip. He hasn’t moved his arm in any way and is in a perfectly natural position. Straight red. He looked so shocked he couldn’t bring himself to argue.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
Re: Worst Red Card
« Reply #1 on November 07, 2019, 08:46:57 pm by StocktonRover »
Rufus Brevitt for a second yellow card when stood on the touch line and jumps up to catch the ball as it’s going out of play to take a quick throw.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 07, 2019, 08:47:53 pm by Muttley »
Rufus Brevett at Belle Vue - stood on the touch line, pass from teammate was overhit and sailing over his head for a throw in so he jumped up and caught the ball to give it to the opposition. Ref fished out his red card to everyone’s bewilderment.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 07, 2019, 08:48:39 pm by Muttley »
Rufus Brevitt for a second yellow card when stood on the touch line and jumps up to catch the ball as it’s going out of play to take a quick throw.
Beat me to it!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 07, 2019, 08:52:56 pm by IDM »
Paul Heffernan getting a second yellow for a “dive” at Millmoor.  We were 1-0 down with not much time to go and this should have been a penalty to us/

Even the ref apologised afterward for the mistake..

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 07, 2019, 08:59:00 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Paul Heffernan getting a second yellow for a “dive” at Millmoor.  We were 1-0 down with not much time to go and this should have been a penalty to us/

That one and the Wimbledon keeper’s deliberate armwrestling John Marquis to the ground last season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 07, 2019, 09:24:28 pm by Campsall rover »

That one and the Wimbledon keeper’s deliberate armwrestling John Marquis to the ground last season.
Yes i agree that one was horrendous.

The worst one I have seen though was my stepson getting sent off playing for Middlesbrough v Brescia in the Anglo Italian Cup in 1993/94
It was mistaken identity as Neil was not the culprit.
Lennie Lawrence the Boro manager said he would never enter that competition again as the referee was so biased in favour of his compatriots that it made a farce of the competition.
All the refs in matches played in England were Italians and those in Italy were English.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 07, 2019, 09:35:54 pm by 5 on Tour »
Was it Wes Brown and John O’Shea who also had mistaken identity a few years ago for United? Not saying the ref should be able to tell the difference but he really really should...

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 07, 2019, 09:40:44 pm by BobG »
Sumo away at Walsall. The w**kiest ref I've ever seen. Both sides came out after half time. Sumo wandered over in front of the main stand, lifted up his shirt and did his Sumo impression. The locals were all laughing. The whole bloody ground was grinning. Match hadnd't even kicked off. Ref sent him straight off. I'm getting cross all over again now just thinking about it. I wrote to the FA after that episode. As you will no doubt know already, they never even acknowledged receipt. Another bunch of lifes' tossers,.

BobG

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 07, 2019, 09:46:50 pm by BobG »
Hi Campsall

I can't for the life of me remember his name, but there was Middlesborouigh midfielder, from about that time you spoke of, who came from a village called Minster Lovell on the edge of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. He had a good reputation as a footballer. He was a nice guy too. And he enjoyed a game of cricket in the summer. He played for Minster Lovell for a fair while.  I played against him for a few years. Does he ring any bells?

BobG

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 07, 2019, 09:52:15 pm by Donnybob »
Tony Coleman v Notts County 1966. The right full back could not live with Coleman and was reduced to fouling him each time he had the ball. The final straw was a flying rugby tackle. Coleman swung round and kicked the bloke in his face and just for good measure punched the referee. I thought it was a tad harsh to send him off as he'd been impeccably well behaved up until then... ;-)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 07, 2019, 09:53:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Mid 60's, Tony Coleman was constantly tripped, pushed, dragged and kicked to the ground by the Notts County right-back so much so that, after receiving no protection from the ref Jack Pickles, he finally snapped after yet another assault went unpunished. Coleman faced up to the defender and Pickles immediately sent him off!

Pickles deserved Coleman's left hook that night!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 07, 2019, 09:56:25 pm by NickDRFC »

The ref thought he was Lewis guy who by that stage had his cards marked.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 07, 2019, 10:01:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Hi Campsall

I can't for the life of me remember his name, but there was Middlesborouigh midfielder, from about that time you spoke of, who came from a village called Minster Lovell on the edge of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. He had a good reputation as a footballer. He was a nice guy too. And he enjoyed a game of cricket in the summer. He played for Minster Lovell for a fair while.  I played against him for a few years. Does he ring any bells?

BobG
My step son was 18 yrs old in 1993. How old Bob was this player you mention. Was he a youth player or a senior player?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 07, 2019, 10:05:55 pm by NickDRFC »

Yes i agree that one was horrendous.

The worst one I have seen though was my stepson getting sent off playing for Middlesbrough v Brescia in the Anglo Italian Cup in 1993/94
Lennie Lawrence the Boro manager said he would never enter that competition again as the referee was so biased in favour of his compatriots that it made a farce of the competition.
All the refs in matches played in England were Italians and those in Italy were English.

Was that Neil Illman? If I’m not mistaken had an ill-fated spell at Rovers in the early noughties, had a decent non-league scoring record elsewhere but like seemingly every other forward we signed in those days joined the Belle Vue strikers graveyard and left shortly after.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 07, 2019, 10:18:14 pm by IDM »

The ref thought he was Lewis guy who by that stage had his cards marked.

It was New Year’s Eve 2005, Lewis Guy hadn’t quite won that reputation yet.!

Digging a little deeper finds that Heffs was sent off after 68 mins and Rotherham scores the winner on 90.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:23:13 pm by IDM »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 07, 2019, 10:21:02 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes Nick. He only played two games for Rovers in the Conference.
Steve Beaglehole took him to Boro when he was 14.
Played 5 games for Middlesbrough then Eastwood Town, Plymouth Argyle ( Warnock was his manager )
Exeter( loan ) then Northwich, Stevenage, back to Northwich, Rovers, Barrow, Evesham Town, Askern Welfare.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:28:03 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 07, 2019, 10:23:42 pm by Campsall rover »
Hi Campsall

BobG
My step son was 18 yrs old in 1993. How old Bob was this player you mention. Was he a youth player or a senior player?
Just looked up birth places of Boro players of that time. Robbie Mustoe was born in Witney so i reckon it will be him as Witney is very near to Minster Lovell.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:49:06 am by Campsall rover »

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 07, 2019, 11:01:25 pm by Muttley »
Sumo away at Walsall. The w**kiest ref I've ever seen. Both sides came out after half time. Sumo wandered over in front of the main stand, lifted up his shirt and did his Sumo impression. The locals were all laughing. The whole bloody ground was grinning. Match hadnd't even kicked off. Ref sent him straight off. I'm getting cross all over again now just thinking about it. I wrote to the FA after that episode. As you will no doubt know already, they never even acknowledged receipt. Another bunch of lifes' tossers,.

BobG

Did he also get sent off at BV for something similar? Or is my mind playing tricks?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 07, 2019, 11:56:24 pm by BobG »
Robbie Mustoe!!!! Brilliant Camps! I've wondered about his name for years. He was a first team player. Saw him on the box a few times and he looked pretty good. He was a fair batsman too :) Lol. Years later playing at Minster Lovell again I got smacked in the eye by a cricket ball travelling very fast... Mmade me realise my time as a wicketkeeper was over. Reactions had gone. 

Did you ever come across Mr Mustoe? He really was a nice guy.

BobG

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 08, 2019, 05:45:13 am by roversdude »
Billy tight shirt away at Hartlepool. Wind and rain blowing from the North Sea. Billy swings boot to kick the ball, misses with a fresh air shot, makes no contact with opposing player but gets sent off. All these years later it still has me scratching my head

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 08, 2019, 08:50:19 am by Campsall rover »
Robbie Mustoe!!!! Brilliant Camps! I've wondered about his name for years. He was a first team player. Saw him on the box a few times and he looked pretty good. He was a fair batsman too :) Lol. Years later playing at Minster Lovell again I got smacked in the eye by a cricket ball travelling very fast... Mmade me realise my time as a wicketkeeper was over. Reactions had gone. 

Did you ever come across Mr Mustoe? He really was a nice guy.

BobG
I saw him play for Boro but never actually met him Bob.
Good energetic box to box midfielder.
Very similar type of player to Paul Green.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:56:11 am by Campsall rover »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 08, 2019, 10:30:52 am by Colin C No.3 »
Son Heung-mins tackle on Andre Gomez was not deserving of a red (thankfully now overturned by the FA) issued by ref Martin Atkinson. Atkinson initially gave Son a yellow until he saw the state of the injury to Gomez then turned away from the injured player, sought out Son & flourished the red.

A poor reading of the whole situation by a referee ‘lost & confused’.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 08, 2019, 12:10:03 pm by Ldr »
Scott Maxfield away at Cheltenham for getting hit in the face by the ball, ref gave penalty too

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 08, 2019, 12:17:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
This one with Habib Beye. As a sideline, it was the most overall bent refereeing performance I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/kRHclwwn6PM

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 08, 2019, 12:18:52 pm by VivaRovers »

Hmmm.... looks pretty guilty to me

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 08, 2019, 05:12:35 pm by drfchound »
This one with Habib Beye. As a sideline, it was the most overall bent refereeing performance I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/kRHclwwn6PM

That has to be as bad as anything I have ever seen at a football match.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 08, 2019, 06:36:00 pm by donnievic »
Brabin getting sent off for showing  his belly to opposite fans when calling him sumo
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:43:04 pm by donnievic »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 08, 2019, 06:40:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Away at Walsall at Christmas 1994.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 08, 2019, 06:47:18 pm by donnievic »
Away at Walsall at Christmas 1994.
yeah few has said that I always thought it was when we won 5-1 at Exeter on bonfire night same year when we was 4 up at half time

TinyPortal © 2005-2012