Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:38:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Under 14 Football  (Read 2027 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Under 14 Football
« on November 10, 2019, 06:58:36 pm by Donnywolf »
Just watched my Great Nephew play in a local League where they ran out easy winners
I could not believe there were three Yellow Cards shown by the Ref - one of them after the game finished
I did not realise this happens in this grade of football and I got a real surprise.
I have not given any clues to the Game itself - but is this normal at U14 level - Yellow Cards ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Under 14 Football
« Reply #1 on November 10, 2019, 07:15:25 pm by Alickismyhero »
World war 3.

A few years ago we were playing a team from Aylesbury when it all kicked off. It involved our U12's, we had a boy as tall as me with a very strong build playing. The opposing manager erupted "That boy is not an under12" He then decided to take a photo of the boy so he could check it out with the league. Then it was the turn of our boy's father "You are not allowed to take a photo of my boy! etc.

I am no longer surprised at what happens in youth football.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 10, 2019, 07:20:15 pm by 5 on Tour »
I ref in the Doncaster league across a few age ranges U10 and down. Some of the language from coaches is an absolute disgrace. The official line is encourage players and help them develop - retake foul throws, explain the fouls and backpass rules etc... I spend more time trying to explain decisions to coaches than the players. Retford United(Lincoln League) had a game abandoned recently due to abuse from the touch line.

Why any of these kids want to turn up to this toxic environment I’ll never know. I just try to encourage them and keep them going but it’s such a negative atmosphere you can see it on some of the faces as it gets louder and louder.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 10, 2019, 08:05:49 pm by POD »
When you see all the antics on the touch line from Messrs Klopp and Guardiola when a decision doesn’t go their way, perhaps it isn’t surprising that we get similar behaviour from others who maybe think that is acceptable. 

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 10, 2019, 08:31:50 pm by adamtherover »
I was a parent ref as a one off last season for adwick v moorends u10s,  jeez, the almost violent tackles from moorenes, followed by really aggressive comments from the 10 year olds was awful.  I was asked if I was gonna send this kid off, i respectfully replied that I had no cards otherwise I would, but I'd like the coach to sub you for 10 mins to calm you down.  The coach replies that that ain't ever happening , so the sidelines were condoning dangerous play, truly shocking. I was confonted by several family members of the dirty player afterwards who wanted me to have a think about what had actually happened and their little angel was all innocent. I told them, hes a kid, it's the coach that's the issue,  he sets the tone and the kids follow.  I'll never be a ref again....the dad of the adwick player who had lumps kicked out of him as you can imagine was incensed at the attitudes of basically all of the moorends  team... who would be a ref....

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 10, 2019, 08:46:10 pm by 1879Rovers »
I manage both an under 7s and 12 teams. My older age group had a game abandoned at under 8s after the ref wanted to fight one of my parents.

Referees usually ask for the player to be removed from the game up to about under 11s for any form of violence or dissent. I personally don't think they learn anything by doing this. The new sin bin law has certainly helped so far this season with referees getting less hassle.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 10, 2019, 09:31:11 pm by 5 on Tour »
I try to put the decisions back on the kids. I call the captains over and tell them to go and speak to the player who has caused the issue.

I haven’t reffed a game this season where I haven’t had to calm down opposing players who want to fight. They watch the premier league “heroes” do it so why shouldn’t they?

I’ve also had to warn 2 coaches that if they continue to shout at me that they will be asked to leave and if they don’t the team will forfeit. Both times the coaches have calmed down. It’s about attempting to teach the teams respect.

Refs get decisions wrong. Why? Because they’re human. They’re only ever making a decision against 1 team as far as most watching or competing are concerned. I don’t walk on the pitch and think ‘let’s wind up that team as much as I can’.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 10, 2019, 10:04:55 pm by drfchound »
Maybe VAR is the answer in junior football. 🤭

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 10, 2019, 10:15:48 pm by Nudga »

Adults ruin junior football.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 10, 2019, 10:23:13 pm by drfchound »

Adults ruin junior football.

Ha, I have gathered that mate from the posts on here.

bigdonnybob

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2019, 12:20:47 am by bigdonnybob »
Maybe you all need to go and watch some games on a sunday morning, down at the old racecourse at Derby, both teams have to provede a "respect Ambassador", and they wear a visi-vest saying they are te ambassador. plus the coaches are on the opposite side of the pitch to the parents. It works well....

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2019, 08:09:23 am by Donnywolf »
World war 3.

A few years ago we were playing a team from Aylesbury when it all kicked off. It involved our U12's, we had a boy as tall as me with a very strong build playing. The opposing manager erupted "That boy is not an under12" He then decided to take a photo of the boy so he could check it out with the league. Then it was the turn of our boy's father "You are not allowed to take a photo of my boy! etc.

I fell foul of the Photo thing last year as well (same Ref I remember)

Not having any Kids / Grandkids I did not realise the (is it political correctness ?) issues surrounding taking Photos. I was taking Photos / Videos of my G Nephew and a few of his Team so I sould give im them later. However Ref came and had a word and then of course it "sank in" that they might think I had different reasons for using the Camera !

Anyway the Ref did have his Cards with him yesterday and did show them 3 times. I actually thought the one I saw was a clear hand ball and he was right (just didnt see what caused the first) - but there WAS a clear stamp  on G Nephews left back which went unpunished so I guess the Ref did not see that or was not helped by the Lino who was right there 2 yards away but was "attached" to the stamper and not the stampee !

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2019, 08:12:04 am by IDM »
“Club linesmen” are a nightmare for new refs.  I used to tell them to signal only for ball out of play and obvious offsides.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2019, 09:29:14 am by Alickismyhero »
World war 3.

I fell foul of the Photo thing last year as well (same Ref I remember)

Not having any Kids / Grandkids I did not realise the (is it political correctness ?) issues surrounding taking Photos. I was taking Photos / Videos of my G Nephew and a few of his Team so I sould give im them later. However Ref came and had a word and then of course it "sank in" that they might think I had different reasons for using the Camera !

Anyway the Ref did have his Cards with him yesterday and did show them 3 times. I actually thought the one I saw was a clear hand ball and he was right (just didnt see what caused the first) - but there WAS a clear stamp  on G Nephews left back which went unpunished so I guess the Ref did not see that or was not helped by the Lino who was right there 2 yards away but was "attached" to the stamper and not the stampee !

A bit of advice to clubs expecting trouble.

We had a game against a London based team and the behaviour of ther players and adults had been abysmal. the following week we had to play the same team in the cup. The manager of our team contacted me and he requested that we just give the team a pass in to the next round. I asked for advice from the league having painted the picture of events the previous week. The league said the game must go ahead so if that was to be the outcome I requested that an official of the league to be at the game. The league refused to say that they would attend, great, here we go!

Sure enough the same things happened in the cup game. My club team, as expected, were intimidated and lost heavily. My manager was threatened by, as I remember a London Black taxi driver, a brave man as our manager was 6'6" of solid rock. We left very quickly and later made a complaint to the league. At the disciplinary hearing they denied any wrong doing but the league official having been in attendance stood up and gave her account and the opposition was sunk. The league found in our favour and the opposition given a heavy fine. We were knocked out in the next round totally outclassed.

If you expect trouble get advice from the league and request an official to attend.

Its very sad that the great game is tarnished by poor parenting.

I am no longer involved in youth football but as a grand parent I support my two grandsons every Sunday. Over the last 3 season I have not witnessed any bad behaviour to comment on, I think things have improved in our area.

Woofie, I hope the flooding situation is improving in Fishlake .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 11, 2019, 09:37:47 am by Donnywolf »
Cheers - but fortunately I am in Thorne . I feel really bad for anyone flooded anywhere in the Country

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 11, 2019, 11:57:52 am by Alickismyhero »
I have a brother on the Thorne side of the Don and a nephew on the Fishlake side. Not been hit yet but its getting closer on all accounts.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 11, 2019, 01:25:14 pm by donnievic »
I ref usually under 12s and try and keep cards to a real minimum but like been said it’s usually language from the parents and kids chatting back on the pitch and diving about a lot of the time,which is why now they have brought sin binning in for  dissent into grass roots football

TinyPortal © 2005-2012