Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 06:15:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Promotion? .......really?  (Read 4077 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Promotion? .......really?
« on December 08, 2019, 11:42:37 am by sha66y »
Can we put this little yarn to bed please?

Nobody on here or attending Rovers games seriously believes promotion is achievable this season, that’s just a whole lotta pipedreaming....and a top 6 placing would be remarkable under the circumstances..

So let’s be realistic,
top half is very do able perhaps a top ten is more optimistic/realistic

To constantly assume or even debate the likelihood that promotion is the clubs aim with these resources is just plain wrong

I would love to see the club issue a statement of intent, with the emphasis on staying up this season as we stabilise,...with a view to building a team for a realistic push in 3-4 years time....

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:44:49 am by sha66y »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Promotion? .......really?
« Reply #1 on December 08, 2019, 11:49:45 am by Sprotyrover »
Be careful I got a right bashing on here for saying the same thing when we let our top scorer go and didn't replace him. Why would the Board want promotion when it means forking out £15 million a year to stay in Championship?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 08, 2019, 11:51:11 am by The Red Baron »
I think it's very unlikely that we'll finish in the top six this season, which is a pity because the League is significantly weaker than last season. However, we lost four crucial weeks for recruitment when McCann left us and it means we haven't got the squad we need to push for promotion. We can improve things a bit in January but realistically the big recruitment drive has got to come next summer. (The new recruitment guy should help here).

My concern is the football we're currently serving up. We've lost the flair and dynamism we had in the first couple of months of the season. Apart from the first and last ten minutes that was as turgid as anything that was served up towards the end of Fergie's reign. If we keep playing like that it will do more to drive people away than having a season of consolidation, which is probably what this realistically is.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 08, 2019, 12:11:36 pm by silent majority »

Nobody on here or attending Rovers games seriously believes promotion is achievable this season, that’s just a whole lotta pipedreaming....and a top 6 placing would be remarkable under the circumstances..

So let’s be realistic,

To constantly assume or even debate the likelihood that promotion is the clubs aim with these resources is just plain wrong

I would love to see the club issue a statement of intent, with the emphasis on staying up this season as we stabilise,...with a view to building a team for a realistic push in 3-4 years time....

How many statements of intent do you want them to issue?

It's been stated at the Meet the Owners and reiterated numerous times in the media of what their intentions are.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 08, 2019, 12:17:57 pm by vaya »
I think it's very unlikely that we'll finish in the top six this season, which is a pity because the League is significantly weaker than last season. However, we lost four crucial weeks for recruitment when McCann left us and it means we haven't got the squad we need to push for promotion. We can improve things a bit in January but realistically the big recruitment drive has got to come next summer. (The new recruitment guy should help here).

My concern is the football we're currently serving up. We've lost the flair and dynamism we had in the first couple of months of the season. Apart from the first and last ten minutes that was as turgid as anything that was served up towards the end of Fergie's reign. If we keep playing like that it will do more to drive people away than having a season of consolidation, which is probably what this realistically is.

I'd pretty much agree with all of this.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 08, 2019, 12:28:56 pm by wabtec »
the only statement of intent the fans need right now is on the pitch,it isn,t happening mainly because of the rubbish Darren Moore has brought to this club,Thomas Bingham and Gomes.if you listen to his interviews you know less after the interview than you did before.in his latest he is bragging about how many young players he has blooded as if he is doing a good job,I,m sorry but his first priority should be is to win games,this seems to be secondary to him.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 08, 2019, 12:33:18 pm by since-1969 »
Darren Moore was given an opportunity to build a team capable of winning promotion and compete in a higher level . But he’s not there yet . We are in a good position with plenty of games still play . Keep calm and keep supporting, our club needs us .

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 08, 2019, 12:40:07 pm by eastender »
the only statement of intent the fans need right now is on the pitch,it isn,t happening mainly because of the rubbish Darren Moore has brought to this club,Thomas Bingham and Gomes.if you listen to his interviews you know less after the interview than you did before.in his latest he is bragging about how many young players he has blooded as if he is doing a good job,I,m sorry but his first priority should be is to win games,this seems to be secondary to him.

Darren Moore didn't bring Gomes , McCann did.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 08, 2019, 12:43:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
I have no qualms about not going up this season so long as Moore focuses on developing a plan b when other sides press high on us - and sorts out our obvious deficiencies in the squad. Signing Dieng and Sheaf would also be good work this season. Both are definitely top end League One players.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 08, 2019, 12:47:13 pm by since-1969 »
Loans are meant  to bolster a squad not BE the squad . Our reliance on is just too obvious .
John ,
Ennis
Sheaf ,
 Dieng ,
 Bingham ,
Sterling,
Thomas
Baptiste ....injured king term

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 08, 2019, 01:05:19 pm by vaya »
Loans are meant  to bolster a squad not BE the squad . Our reliance on is just too obvious .
John ,
Ennis
Sheaf ,
 Dieng ,
 Bingham ,
Sterling,
Thomas

Bingham, Thomas and Baptiste aren't loans.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 08, 2019, 01:07:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He did forget Daniels though.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 08, 2019, 01:35:34 pm by since-1969 »
John ,
Ennis
Sheaf ,
 Dieng ,
 Bingham ,
Sterling,
Thomas

Bingham, Thomas and Baptiste aren't loans.
they are on short very short contracts !!!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 08, 2019, 01:36:37 pm by since-1969 »
My point was we haven’t a squad only borrowed players .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 08, 2019, 01:40:51 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I would say without possibly the best transfer window in january we have had we wont be up there this year, we are just a bit short attack wise..defensively I think we are good, just lacking goals and with more goal threat we would be comfortable most weeks.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 08, 2019, 02:20:33 pm by wabtec »
I am gradually loosing faith in Darren Moore,if he extends the contracts of Thomas and Bingham and does nt bring in any proper players in january that will be me finished with backing Darren Moore .

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 08, 2019, 02:21:55 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Realistically the seasons probably going to be a right off and mid table is about right looking at the squad. Such a shame ennis has been out so long because the poor play and lack of confidence is clearly imo coming from lack of quality up top. We've no excuses this summer though we must surely be under budget this year by some distance meaning there is room to make signings and with the new recruitment guy we shouldn't be flat footed noticing players. Just need to get some players back this year and make a better stab at playoffs and try not to get dragged further down the league

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 08, 2019, 03:53:58 pm by RoversAlias »
I am gradually loosing faith in Darren Moore,if he extends the contracts of Thomas and Bingham and does nt bring in any proper players in january that will be me finished with backing Darren Moore .

Then you aren't a proper supporter. He's only been here for four months, essentially, and has had only a short time to imprint his philosophy on the club. He is doing what he can after a truncated summer window, coming in to a squad that was very threadbare, and he is progressing as a young manager just like our young players are. No manager can come in to DRFC and work miracles straight away.

People really need to get some perspective and some patience. Everyone wants everything now, it seems, when it doesn't work like that. This is a long-term project that will take several transfer windows and a lot of time on the training pitch to turn into true success.

We might not challenge this year, but after another 6-8 months of developing, and shaping the squad in transfer windows, we will be a much stronger proposition as a team I'm sure.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 08, 2019, 04:00:29 pm by Jimmydee »
It must be blind faith on my behalf, I’ve been waiting for the odds to lengthen whilst we are in a false position, it’s top 6 for me Len.
The odds have gone from 2/1 to 4/1

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 08, 2019, 04:13:46 pm by goalkick »
He is going to have a very hard job shaping Bingham after wed and sat performance.miracle needed.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 08, 2019, 04:23:36 pm by vaya »

You're entitled to your opinion, but you not backing Moore will have zero impact.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 08, 2019, 04:49:51 pm by sha66y »

So let’s be realistic,

How many statements of intent do you want them to issue?

It's been stated at the Meet the Owners and reiterated numerous times in the media of what their intentions are.

Just one SM
Perhaps by Darren himself, mapping out the club and his intentions and expectations without the BS or spin, we are all adults and can take a bit of truth no matter how bad it may taste...

I personally have no great expectancies, I just enjoy paying for my season ticket and watching my team..

However there are still factions within our support who will use the clubs expectations in a negative way if not achieved.

And let’s be fair, this team will struggle to maintain a top ten finish as it currently stands...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 08, 2019, 04:50:07 pm by Campsall rover »

So let’s be realistic,

Well yes there is someone who believes promotion is achievable. ME.

Why isn’t it. Please explain that one to me. We are 9 points off 3rd place with 3 games in hand on many of the teams above us.
Of course if we churn out performances like yesterday on a regular basis we will struggle to finish in the top 17/18 but i am not expecting that yesterday is going to be the norm.

Look every one is getting this dip in form totally out of perspective.

In the league we have drawn 2 & lost one game since the demolition of Southend on 22/10/19
Yes we have played only 3 league games in 6 weeks & 4 days.
The others are 1 win, 1 draw & 1 defeat in the FA Cup. The FL Trophy i am going to dismiss because we played a team in all our games which was well under full strength.

It’s hardly disastrous is it. Disappointing definitely as we should have done better in at least 3 of those games, League & Cup. The level of performance has dipped considerably which is mainly a confidence factor and the loss of Ennis is having an effect in the striker dept.
We also have had a desperately stop start season with postponements which has not helped us gaining momentum.

But to say we can’t get promotion with 28 games to play is one of the most negative things i have ever heard on here.
So the players may as well just tread water from now on and just settle for a mid table position.

I am sure the Manager and players have a bit more ambition than some of our supporters seem to have.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:52:27 pm by Campsall rover »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 08, 2019, 05:01:56 pm by sha66y »

So let’s be realistic,

Why isn’t it. Please explain that one to me. We are 9 points off 3rd place with 3 games in hand on many of the teams above us.
Of course if we churn out performances like yesterday on a regular basis we will struggle to finish in the top 17/18 but i am not expecting that yesterday is going to be the norm.

In the league we have drawn 2 & lost one game since the demolition of Southend on 22/10/19
The others are 1 win, 1 draw & 1 defeat in the FA Cup. The FL Trophy i am going to dismiss because we played a team in all our games which was well under full strength.

It’s hardly disastrous is it. Disappointing definitely as we should have done better in at least 3 of those games, League & Cup. The level of performance has dipped considerably which is mainly a confidence factor and the loss of Ennis is having an effect in the striker dept.
We also have had a desperately stop start season with postponements which has not helped us gaining momentum.

But to say we can’t get promotion with 28 games to play is one of the most negative things i have ever heard on here.
So the players may as well just tread water from now on and just settle for a mid table position.

I am sure the Manager and players have a bit more ambition than some of our supporters seem to have.

I’m not wholly convinced we have either the squad or the resources to deliver your dream....perhaps in a few years we will have developed some real talented players, and we can hold our own ...

Football has changed for the worst!
We can’t go out and buy that perfect striker unless we pay big so we will have to spend a lot of time sifting through the dust looking for diamonds, and we fans are a very unforgiving bunch when it comes to bringing in anything not packaged as “ established or proven”

I admire your logic but just know you are overly optimistic about the strength of our squad, and what it can deliver...

We didn’t make MK Dons look good yesterday...they made us look poor

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 08, 2019, 05:07:18 pm by steve@dcfd »

We had two strikers in the summer the CEO and Chairman did not get over the line. Therefore have they sorted out new players already for Jan 1st or is money the issue now ( tax problem)so DM will have to rely on young loans.
The CEO and owners have said what they want in the summer again it’s whether they can actually back the ambition they have.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:10:52 pm by steve@dcfd »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 08, 2019, 05:23:11 pm by dickos1 »

So let’s be realistic,

The indifferent results have been happening since the Rotherham game.
Look at the results since the Rotherham game and it’s relegation form never mind promotion, 13 points from 11 games .
Yes we’ve played well in some games since then but we haven’t won, and we haven’t won because we have no strikers at the club good enough for this level.
And we all knew that in July
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:26:28 pm by dickos1 »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 08, 2019, 05:40:38 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Love that one bit of bad form nowadays is the reason to sack someone. Every team toes through a bad spell.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 08, 2019, 06:58:51 pm by Campsall rover »

So let’s be realistic,

I’m not wholly convinced we have either the squad or the resources to deliver your dream....perhaps in a few years we will have developed some real talented players, and we can hold our own ...

We can’t go out and buy that perfect striker unless we pay big so we will have to spend a lot of time sifting through the dust looking for diamonds, and we fans are a very unforgiving bunch when it comes to bringing in anything not packaged as “ established or proven”

I admire your logic but just know you are overly optimistic about the strength of our squad, and what it can deliver...

Disagree with that. We did make them look good.

1) We stood off them and let them have the ball.
2) We let them win most 50/50 balls.
3 )We constantly gave them the ball back with loose passing.

If we had played like we are capable of we would have beaten MK Dons very comfortably. They are a poor side that WE MADE LOOK ALMOST DECENT.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:23:49 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 08, 2019, 07:06:26 pm by drfchound »

So let’s be realistic,

Disagree with that. We did make them look good.

1) We stood off them and let them have the ball.
2) We let them win most 50/50 balls.
3 )We constantly gave them the ball back with lose passing.

If we had played like we are capable of we would have beaten MK Dons very comfortably. They are a poor side that WE MADE LOOK ALMOST DECENT.

Campsall, on your point number one, I assume you are talking about when their keeper and back four were prattling about, just passing the ball between them and time wasting.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:11:52 pm by drfchound »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 08, 2019, 07:09:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wouldn't be surprised if MK Dons got well and truly hammered in their next game. They will be absolutely convinced that they are better than they really are as a result of yesterday's game when they were allowed to dominate for long periods. They won't know what's hit them if they think it was a case of them being good as opposed to the reality of Rovers being dreadful.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012