Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:06:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Parent school donations 'exacerbating inequality'  (Read 1494 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Parent school donations 'exacerbating inequality'
« on December 11, 2019, 05:45:56 am by SydneyRover »
Pupils in some of the poorest regions of England are losing out because parents cannot afford to fill a funding shortfall with donations, BBC News has found.

In 2017-18, the average school in London raised £43,000 from donations. In Yorkshire, it was just £13,300.

The Fair Education Alliance said this gap "exacerbates unfairness between rich and poor".

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-50732685

Why is there a funding gap? not because the tories have f##ked over the economy surely, they're the economic wizards arn't they???

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Parent school donations 'exacerbating inequality'
« Reply #1 on December 11, 2019, 07:26:08 am by idler »
They are averages Sydney. Imagine just how little if anything it is in places like the school where my daughter teaches in inner city Bradford. They have to give breakfast to kids that never get one at home and some kids come in nappies, not toilet trained. There are the ones unable to use cutlery to eat with and not even knowing how to hold a pencil when they start. Then there are parents of young ones complaining that the most basic homework is too hard for them to help their kids as they don’t understand it themselves.
It was never this bad in the 50s and 60s and what’s it going to be like when this generation have kids?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 11, 2019, 02:13:53 pm by drfchound »
The lefties on here moan constantly that the bbc back the Tories to the hilt and that all the stuff that they publish is total rubbish.
However when the bbc writes this article is is perceived to be gospel and the news is deemed to be accurate.
Now why is that.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 11, 2019, 02:28:15 pm by Ldr »
Because the slant of the article suits their narrative

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 11, 2019, 05:13:52 pm by wilts rover »
Because it is true.

As idler says it is not just a north/south thing but with different schools in the same town. In the town where I live there is a school on a new estate that has big parent support and all the equipment and support that comes with that. We have 40% deprivation and books from the 1980's.

Mock if you want but it makes a big difference.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 11, 2019, 05:34:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Once again Hound. It's the BBC News section reporting news. There's no comment going on. There's no political point being made. They are simply presenting neutral facts.

It's the decisions by senior editors to present the news in biased ways that I have a gripe with. We've given you loads of examples of that happening in this campaign to the benefit of the Tories (like the article last night that presented research that found 88% of the Tories' ads were misleading, and 0% of Labour's were, presented with a headline that gave the impression that all the parties were at it.

Have you seen a single example of the BBC presenting news that wrongly put Labour in a better light than the facts suggested? Show it to us if you have.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 11, 2019, 06:42:55 pm by drfchound »
But that article has only been highlighted on here because it paints a bad picture of the Tories.
Had it been the other way it would not have been mentioned on here.

As I said earlier, posters bang on about the bbc being anti Labour but when they announce something in favour of them people are quick to stick it on the forum.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 11, 2019, 08:19:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So you didn't read my post then Hound? You've just repeated the same thing several times.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 11, 2019, 09:18:36 pm by SydneyRover »
But that article has only been highlighted on here because it paints a bad picture of the Tories.

As I said earlier, posters bang on about the bbc being anti Labour but when they announce something in favour of them people are quick to stick it on the forum.

The articles I post hound are mirrors of the society we live in if you don't like what you see thenr close your eyes or change your vote because it won't get better by itself  :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 11, 2019, 09:23:13 pm by SydneyRover »
They are averages Sydney. Imagine just how little if anything it is in places like the school where my daughter teaches in inner city Bradford. They have to give breakfast to kids that never get one at home and some kids come in nappies, not toilet trained. There are the ones unable to use cutlery to eat with and not even knowing how to hold a pencil when they start. Then there are parents of young ones complaining that the most basic homework is too hard for them to help their kids as they don’t understand it themselves.
It was never this bad in the 50s and 60s and what’s it going to be like when this generation have kids?

Thanks Idler and a big high five to your daughter, I admire what she does SR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 11, 2019, 10:33:18 pm by drfchound »

The articles I post hound are mirrors of the society we live in if you don't like what you see thenr close your eyes or change your vote because it won't get better by itself  :)

Change my vote?
You have no idea who I have voted for.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 11, 2019, 11:53:15 pm by SydneyRover »
you claim to only be here to balance the conversation but 90% of what you write opposes the party that wants a fairer a socierty, go figure?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 12, 2019, 05:17:11 pm by drfchound »
you claim to only be here to balance the conversation but 90% of what you write opposes the party that wants a fairer a socierty, go figure?

I bet you can’t show the post where I claim to be on here to balance the conversation Sydney, because I never have said that.

Did you read something in the Telegraph or somewhere......and believe it.

I often post on the political threads to highlight the bias towards the Labour Party by you and some other posters.
I hardly ever read the links that you post.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 12, 2019, 05:28:22 pm by wilts rover »

That article paints a bad picture of the Tories because:

a) its true
b) it is entirely down to the funding decisions made by the past 3 Tory, Tory/LD governments

you can be an apologist for the Tory Party all you wish - go round all the schools in Doncaster and find out for yourself.

The ones that are attended by children from better off families will have better funding than the ones that dont, because of the assistance from those parents.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 12, 2019, 05:35:42 pm by drfchound »

a) its true
b) it is entirely down to the funding decisions made by the past 3 Tory, Tory/LD governments

you can be an apologist for the Tory Party all you wish - go round all the schools in Doncaster and find out for yourself.

The ones that are attended by children from better off families will have better funding than the ones that dont, because of the assistance from those parents.

Wilts, first of all I am not a Tory apologist and for what it is worth I agree with your comments about the schools.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying though, that is the bbc are slated for being anti Labour and speaking lies by the lefties on here......until the bbc says something in favour of Labour and then the news is feted as being factual.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 12, 2019, 05:43:15 pm by wilts rover »

a) its true

Wilts, first of all I am not a Tory apologist and for what it is worth I agree with your comments about the schools.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying though, that is the bbc are slated for being anti Labour and speaking lies by the lefties on here......until the bbc says something in favour of Labour and then the news is feted as being factual.

Sorry houd I didn't pick that up. I was arguing about the truth of the article rather than where it came from.

If you don't mind me saying so - this is probably not the best article you could have chosen as to demonstrate bbc bias or not

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 12, 2019, 05:47:42 pm by drfchound »

a) its true

Sorry houd I didn't pick that up. I was arguing about the truth of the article rather than where it came from.

If you don't mind me saying so - this is probably not the best article you could have chosen as to demonstrate bbc bias or not

No problem wilts.
It was the one that chose to highlight though.
The slagging off of the bbc is often commented on by our resident Labour posters, until it suits them not to do so.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012