Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:15:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stunned at that  (Read 977 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Stunned at that
« on December 13, 2019, 08:56:55 am by wing commander »
 When that exit poll came out I was shocked,I was expecting a small Tory majority and maybe even a hung parliament but that's was a incredible result for the Tory's and absolute disaster for Labour..

I've been jousting on here with many of you on Labours brexit position over the last couple of months.In some ways I've been impressed with how you've towed the party line in defending that position even though it was nothing position.However that is what cost them 75% of this election.The leave voting people of the North realised that Labours position was gravitating to remain and the failure to honour the vote and their previous election pledge caused great anger.Labour didn't back any of the two horses publically in that race and neither horses voted for them..

The other 25% was Corbyn,the man was unelectable and it's resulted in Labour wasting a great opportunity and that's been born out with a unpopular government like this, handing Labour their worst result since 1930's.Frankly a difficult thing to achieve.This is were Labour need to learn a big big lesson.The membership is one thing,the votes that count another..His ratings have been terrible for such a long time and Labour had plenty of time to address it but didn't blindly being led by the hard left in control

My hope now is that Labour have a big reform,However it's already worrying that Mp's returned last night for Labour and various momentum people on the radio this morning are refusing to pin any blame on him,and blaming the Brexit vote in it's entirety..Although those who did lose their seats paint a different picture..

Regardless of the Party,Goverments work best when they have a strong opposition in front of them and for that to happen the likes of Corbyn and Mcdonnell simply have to go,and quickly..

On a footnote I was a bit sad to see the Beast of Bolsover lose his seat,even though I obviously didn't agree with his politics he was a great parliamentarian who stayed true to his values and beliefs regardless of the cost a rare thing in that place...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Stunned at that
« Reply #1 on December 13, 2019, 09:09:41 am by wilts rover »
That may or may not be a fair assessment of the Labour position WC but the one thing that is certainly true is that the majority of the voters have voted for a far-right government. Not for the middle of the road Lib Dems. Or stayed at home because they didn't see a party they liked.

That's the country's overwhelming choice. A far-right government.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 13, 2019, 09:22:11 am by IDM »
The Tory vote only grew by 1.2% yet they got a huge majority..

It is more a case of Labour losing, and losing badly..

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 13, 2019, 09:42:44 am by wing commander »
That a good point guys

In some ways though for the centre view it's better that the Tory's have won by so many.BJ is now not so reliant on that ERG support and that might make a big difference in how this Brexit eventually plays out...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 13, 2019, 09:51:00 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

A little, but you have to give them credit, 9 years in government, brexit and big attacks from a party promising  huge spending yet still they grow the vote.

But clearly labour have to think about how they get those votes or accept they will be a protest party not a party of government.

I also dont think the tories will be super right, they'll be pretty central.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 13, 2019, 10:11:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Precisely IDM.

As I've said elsewhere, it's a perfect storm. Labour have lost support to the Remain AND Leave side.
It lays bare the issue I was saying in 2017. Labour convinced itself that they did relatively well then because they were popular. That was nonsense. They did well because it was a binary split between Lab and Tory and Brexit was neutralised as an issue. The moment Brexit became an issue again, this time last year, Labour's support fell away on both sides.

This is the reality. There's only 20-25% of voters who are committed supporters of the current Labour party. 8-10% who will grit their teeth and support Labour. And the crucial 8-10% who would support a credible Labour but who chose alternatives on both sides this time.

Until Labour reach out to that last group, they are done for. Some of the ranting on Twitter blaming "Blairites" and "Centrists" doesn't look like a promising initial move, but it's early days.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 13, 2019, 10:28:35 am by wing commander »
  Emotions are always going to be raw after a defeat like that especially when hopes were high..They will be doing all kinds of research into what happened..Labour need to look at it, that next time their wont be a brexit party to split the vote and those who lent their vote up North to the tory's probably will come back in the fold...

They need to pick a new leader who can galvanise people back to the Party.That will be crucial.The question is will the membership and momentum pick a leader who has the best chance of appealing to the people or them..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 13, 2019, 10:49:46 am by selby »
  I think if you look back the term I used a while ago was the Labour Party will be buried, they were.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 13, 2019, 12:36:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Couldn't agree more WC.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 13, 2019, 02:21:42 pm by selby »
  The Tories want to take the direct investment into the ex tory heartlands that have become the liberal and labour  areas in the London and South East, and spend the investment in the new Tory constituencies in the midlands and north and level the playing field.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 13, 2019, 02:24:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Do they Selby?

I hope you are right but we'll see.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012