Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:43:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford united game  (Read 9878 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oxford united game
« on December 30, 2019, 07:42:50 am by selby »
  Games coming thick and fast, with different emotions after the good win at Peterborough and defeat and disappointment against Sunderland, who probably played a game closer to how I expect Oxford to play against us than Peterborough.
  They have been probably the best team to have played against us this season, giving us a good hiding in the away game earlier in the season and looked on the day a very strong unit. they have a goal difference of 20, the biggest in the division,Frugal at the back with a strong defence, and have a number of players capable of scoring goals, and with players like Brannagan in mid field  have clever strong players who can control the tempo of the game.
  So a difficult game in prospect, in which we will have to be at our best to compete. John's injury could have us make an enforced change, probably James coming in, and myself I would  bring Thomas in for Ennis and Sheaf for Gomes,  both players having had two hard physical games Ennis looked tired at the end of both games but struggled against the better defence of Sunderland  and I just think that Sheaf is the better player, although Gomes has impressed me with a rapid improvement and looks as though he can come through to be a good player for us in future.
  Most of our forwards and midfield are young inexperienced players, who are getting better with game time, a few decent additions in the window and closed season is now imperative to push the club on.
   This game will be a severe test of our ability to come back after the disappointment of yesterdays result.
  How would you shape us up?
  Can we expect a reaction?
  Are we capable of competing against the best teams in the division?
   Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:46:58 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford united game
« Reply #1 on December 30, 2019, 07:57:25 am by Alan Southstand »
Another defeat looms. Sorry it’s so gloomy, but if Oxford work hard in midfield, then they will beat us. We just don’t impose ourselves on the opposition. We have too many powder puff players in our midfield 5, who are either not willing or not able to force the issue.

Ennis is the best we’ve got up top and even he is struggling against strong, physical sides. We are reaping what we sowed in the summer, and we must correct that, in January, or we risk flirting with relegation.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I really do. But, Oxford are a much better side than Sunderland. And yes, so we’re Peterborough, but they are managed by someone who is arrogant enough to think allthey had to do was turn up.

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 30, 2019, 08:20:26 am by scunny rover »
Just feel more confident about this game although oxford  are a good side.
Sheaf and james in, who plays up front undecided I will leave that to mr moore

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 30, 2019, 08:31:10 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Personally i wouldn't play copps from the start after yesterday put Sheaf back in and try to out number them in the midfield. James has to come back in regardless of injury to John. Can't see us winning which is exactly why i wouldn't be surprised if we do

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 30, 2019, 09:33:02 am by Campsall rover »
Another defeat looms. Sorry it’s so gloomy, but if Oxford work hard in midfield, then they will beat us. We just don’t impose ourselves on the opposition. We have too many powder puff players in our midfield 5, who are either not willing or not able to force the issue.

Ennis is the best we’ve got up top and even he is struggling against strong, physical sides. We are reaping what we sowed in the summer, and we must correct that, in January, or we risk flirting with relegation.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I really do. But, Oxford are a much better side than Sunderland. And yes, so we’re Peterborough, but they are managed by someone who is arrogant enough to think allthey had to do was turn up.
“Another defeat looms”  Think i heard that before the Peterborough match. Remind me of the score.

Yes Oxford are a good side and unquestionably have a serious chance of automatic promotion.
They are favourites on Wednesday of course.
But if we play to our capabilities and that depends how well Oxford play then we have every chance of winning or at least a draw.

Your comment about Sunderland is questionable Alan. They were very good yesterday.
Physically strong, did the basics very well. Controlled most of the game. They have not played as well as that for a long time. If they have then their results have been bizarre.

As for Peterborough we will see now just how good they are. IMO not as good as they think they are that is for certain.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 30, 2019, 09:44:06 am by Campsall rover »
Brian agree bring back Sheaf for Gomes. We need his ball winning ability.

Gomes is improving but a long way from what we need which is a proper Mr.
Someone who can win the ball, good passer with vision.

Yes just described Wellens and Kane. So it’s someone with that ilk. Don’t know where he will appear from in January.

As for Thomas, Brian i would only play him if Ennis needs a bit of a rest which is probable, as he bust a gut at Posh and seemed to run out of steam 2nd half yesterday which wasn’t surprising due to his long lay off.

James in for John and if John is fit take Joe Wright’s place.
Cameron is much more comfortable at centre back. He didn’t look happy yesterday at left back although he was excellent at Peterborough.
It looked like cramp fortunately due to the leg stretching he did while receiving treatment, and not a hamstring.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:48:46 pm by Campsall rover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 30, 2019, 02:34:08 pm by selby »
  Paul, I think Ennis is a decent player in the making, but  where his best position is going to be I am unsure about. Reading the Wolves supporters on him when he first came, they tended to regard him as a wide midfield player, or playing off a front man.
  Well I don't see him as a lone striker up front, especially against big strong uncompromising central defenders as Sunderland had yesterday, physically, and ball retention wise he is not up to it in my opinion, and until we sign someone better if we can, Thomas is the better option, and he also gets into the six yard box.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 30, 2019, 02:57:51 pm by Campsall rover »
  Paul, I think Ennis is a decent player in the making, but  where his best position is going to be I am unsure about. Reading the Wolves supporters on him when he first came, they tended to regard him as a wide midfield player, or playing off a front man.
  Well I don't see him as a lone striker up front, especially against big strong uncompromising central defenders as Sunderland had yesterday, physically, and ball retention wise he is not up to it in my opinion, and until we sign someone better if we can, Thomas is the better option, and he also gets into the six yard box.

Sorry Brian, Thomas’s ball retention in the last 3 games he played was almost non existent. Yes i agree Ennis is not a natural target man or lone striker but unless we change systems and play 2 out and out front men he is by far and away the best we have got.
All opinions Brian but Thomas is also far too static, easy to mark and does not create space for others by running the channels and taking defenders out of their comfort zone.

As i said Ennis may only get 25 mins on Wed as he needs to be looked after. He was out for about 7/8 weeks and was blowing out hot air at 4-50 yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:03:34 pm by Campsall rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 30, 2019, 03:20:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
“Another defeat looms”  Think i heard that before the Peterborough match. Remind me of the score.

Not from me you didn’t and that is, so far, proving to be a 1 off. The difference between us and Oxford is, quite simply, players who are game changers - they have a few and we have the odd one, if they’re on song. The other thing is teams have us well and truly sussed, particularly at our place. We have no-one else we can call on to change things round a bit. If just one of our first 11 play, then we struggle.

I long for some positive news on incomings and I don’t mean just another ‘average Joe’, it’s time we showed we mean business.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:25:44 pm by Alan Southstand »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 30, 2019, 03:23:55 pm by NickDRFC »

Not from me you didn’t and that is, so far, proving to be a 1 off. The difference between us and Oxford is, quite simply, players who are game changers - they have a few and we have the odd one, if they’re on song. The other thing is teams have us well and truly sussed, particularly at our place. We have no-one else we can call on to change things round a bit. If none of our first 11 play, then we struggle.

I long for some positive news on incomings and I don’t mean just another ‘average Joe’, it’s time we showed we mean business.

Ha I think any team would struggle if “none of the first 11” play ;)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 30, 2019, 03:26:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Thanks, Nick, corrected.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 30, 2019, 03:27:38 pm by Chris Black come back »

Not from me you didn’t and that is, so far, proving to be a 1 off. The difference between us and Oxford is, quite simply, players who are game changers - they have a few and we have the odd one, if they’re on song. The other thing is teams have us well and truly sussed, particularly at our place. We have no-one else we can call on to change things round a bit. If none of our first 11 play, then we struggle.

Ha I think any team would struggle if “none of the first 11” play ;)

Perhaps not yesterday though!

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 30, 2019, 03:33:41 pm by NewDonny »
Ennis has to start, if he doesn't then we are stuffed. He won't score you many goals but his energy and pace up front makes a big difference for our other attacking players. You can knock him all you like for his performance yesterday, as seems the will on this forum after a defeat, but for me he put himself about and made his presence felt.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 30, 2019, 03:41:26 pm by Campsall rover »
Ennis has to start, if he doesn't then we are stuffed. He won't score you many goals but his energy and pace up front makes a big difference for our other attacking players. You can knock him all you like for his performance yesterday, as seems the will on this forum after a defeat, but for me he put himself about and made his presence felt.
Yes but we need to keep him fit. He needs to be managed after this two games and his long lay off.
Use him last 25 mins as an impact player on Wed.
Any way DM is the manager and the coaching staff know the fitness levels. Not us.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 30, 2019, 03:45:31 pm by dickos1 »

Agreed.
Ennis makes a massive difference, creates space for our other players, holds the ball up better than anyone else.
Without him in the side we struggle to score goals that’s evident from the stats

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 30, 2019, 03:49:42 pm by NewDonny »

Agreed.
Ennis makes a massive difference, creates space for our other players, holds the ball up better than anyone else.
Without him in the side we struggle to score goals that’s evident from the stats

It also takes the pressure off the back four as well, gives them a breather, although that was not evident yesterday, but then again I think that was more down to our central midfeild who went missing yesterday

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 30, 2019, 04:57:08 pm by Jonathan »
Ennis would have to be dead for me to resort to playing Thomas. And even then I’d look to the youth team first.

Shornton

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 30, 2019, 05:08:51 pm by Shornton »

Thomas is the better option????? can i have some of what you've been on?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 30, 2019, 05:25:26 pm by dickos1 »

Which is why we shouldn’t have started this season without a number 9

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 30, 2019, 05:59:37 pm by selby »
  I know Dickos, and obviously the manager does also. That is why he has tried to fill the gap with Sadlier, Ennis, Thomas, and Bingham, while he has a chance in the next transfer window to sign his own choice.
  Or do you think he should have jumped in after a fortnight and not known what he had available to him in the short period he had at the start of the season?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 30, 2019, 06:59:31 pm by dickos1 »
He had 7 or 8 weeks did he not and put bids in for two experienced strikers with records better than marquis.
So he identified the players

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 30, 2019, 07:36:45 pm by drfchound »
He had 7 or 8 weeks did he not and put bids in for two experienced strikers with records better than marquis.

Yep, he joined us on 10th July so had 7 weeks before the end of the August window.
If it was true about the two strikers, then yes, he had identified the players.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 30, 2019, 08:13:09 pm by Campsall rover »
So if he had two players lined up and they didn’t come to us as planned why has DM got so much flack.
Not his fault is it and if only players like Thomas and Bingham were available after the window shut, then what should he have done?

The posts on here just keep going round and round in circles with the same conclusion.

Give DM 4 transfer windows and let’s then see what our squad looks like. 2 more windows and we will i am sure we will see a much much stronger 18/19 1st team squad players
We have 13 of our own now, and hopefully we can sign Deing on a permanent deal.
4 new players in the next 2 windows on a permanent and maybe 3 loans, possibly we can get John, Sheaf & Ennis next season again? Who knows on that one.

The 13 we have under contact are Lawler, Halliday, James, Amos, Anderson, Wright, Blaney, Whiteman, Gomes, Coppinger, Blair, Taylor & Sadlier.

If we can sign Deing on a permanent deal & tie Anderson & Sadlier to longer deals then add 2 quality centre midfielders and 2 quality strikers.

With Horton, Greaves Watton & Boocock as the younger back up players we will have a very competitive squad.
May and Kiwomya will be offloaded and if Jones is good enough to be 2nd choice keeper maybe Lawlor will be also.

So 4 really good signings and our squad will look very strong. We don’t need major surgery just the right players. In 2/3 positions. 

Yep, he joined us on 10th July so had 7 weeks before the end of the August window.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:32:01 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 30, 2019, 08:15:00 pm by Campsall rover »
Put above post in wrong box. Gone in the grey.
Not going to right it all again.  :headbang:

hound you often leave a big gap on your posts and i have often written above yours in the gap.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:18:10 pm by Campsall rover »

Shornton

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 30, 2019, 08:16:01 pm by Shornton »
 Not going to wright it all again.  :headbang:

Or even write it lol

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 30, 2019, 08:20:02 pm by dickos1 »
So if he had two players lined up and they didn’t come to us as planned why has DM got so much flack.
Not his fault is it and if only players like Thomas and Bingham were available after the window shut, then what should he have done?

The posts on here just keep going round and round in circles with the same conclusion.

Give DM 4 transfer windows and let’s then see what our squad looks like. 2 more windows and we will i am sure we will see a much much stronger 18/19 1st team squad players
We have 13 of our own now, and hopefully we can sign Deing on a permanent deal.
4 new players in the next 2 windows on a permanent and maybe 3 loans, possibly we can get John, Sheaf & Ennis next season again? Who knows on that one.

The 13 we have under contact are Lawler, Halliday, James, Amos, Anderson, Wright, Blaney, Whiteman, Gomes, Coppinger, Blair, Taylor & Sadlier.

If we can sign Deing on a permanent deal & tie Anderson & Sadlier to longer deals then add 2 quality centre midfielders and 2 quality strikers.

With Horton, Greaves Watton & Boocock as the younger back up players we will have a very competitive squad.
May and Kiwomya will be offloaded and if Jones is good enough to be 2nd choice keeper maybe will Lawlor will be also.

So 4 really good signings and our squad will look very strong. We don’t need major surgery just the right players. In 2/3 positions. 

I believe it was Moore that changed his mind on those deals

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 30, 2019, 08:22:38 pm by Campsall rover »
Believe or know? 

None of us know what happened it’s just gossip.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:26:23 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 30, 2019, 08:25:50 pm by dickos1 »
Well I’ve been told by someone who knows

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 30, 2019, 08:30:19 pm by Campsall rover »
 Not going to wright it all again.  :headbang:

Or even write it lol
Corrected.  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 30, 2019, 09:46:31 pm by drfchound »
Well I’ve been told by someone who knows

A friend of mine who regularly speaks with GB also suggested the same to me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012