Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:04:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Different side of us today  (Read 7202 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Different side of us today
« on January 01, 2020, 05:39:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's not been often we've been starved of possession. Oxford are by some way the most cultured side I've seen this season and they did to us today what we were doing to sides in August/Sept.

But we showed a different strength. I thought we were defensively superb from back to front. Excellent discipline and the physical committment when it was needed.

A couple of signings next week and the play offs are still on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Different side of us today
« Reply #1 on January 01, 2020, 05:43:13 pm by glosterred »
Really could do with a target man that is able to hold the ball up. I don’t think it’s Ennis’ proper game, he’s a little light weight for that job.

COYR

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 01, 2020, 05:46:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think it’s fair to say that is exactly what we didn’t do enough of, against Sunderland.

And I think we need more than 2, Billy, especially when you look in the direction of the bench.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 01, 2020, 05:47:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Stopping Oxford in their tracks today was a fantastic achievement.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 01, 2020, 05:49:45 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
A number of positive comments from Oxford’s fans on their forum. This one is the best:

Doncaster a great blueprint for future opposition in terms of tactics.

Disrupted us in the middle of the park, didn't let us find a passing rhythm at all, made us scrap for possession.

Packed the box and stayed central, they know we put in crosses from deep, so they could deal with them quite easily.

Sprung long balls on the counter targeting the full back spaces that we've left vacant.

We weren't at our best today, but a lot of that was down to Doncaster. They played the percentages and got 3 points out of it.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 01, 2020, 06:11:23 pm by DRNaith »
A number of positive comments from Oxford’s fans on their forum. This one is the best:

Doncaster a great blueprint for future opposition in terms of tactics.

Disrupted us in the middle of the park, didn't let us find a passing rhythm at all, made us scrap for possession.

Packed the box and stayed central, they know we put in crosses from deep, so they could deal with them quite easily.

Sprung long balls on the counter targeting the full back spaces that we've left vacant.

We weren't at our best today, but a lot of that was down to Doncaster. They played the percentages and got 3 points out of it.

But yet reading a lot of posts on here, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Rovers had lost.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 01, 2020, 06:11:35 pm by firestarter »
Watching their pass and move game reminded me of how good we were at that at the start of the season. Not sure if it’s lack of confidence in the 1 or 2 touch passing game but on our day we can do exactly the same . Speed of pass and moving the ball quicker brings results as we have witnessed. When we get our heads down and start playing we can compete with anyone .. just gotta find a bit more consistency imo

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 01, 2020, 06:22:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'd say we did to them what Sunderland did to us on Sunday.  We scrapped and defended the box well. Quite right really as without that striker we know we lack up top.  But, our defense is drastically improved. If only we could add an attack to this defence.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 01, 2020, 06:25:19 pm by PDX_Rover »
Best opposition team I’ve seen this season and they were good last season too. I’d like about six of their lads in our squad. Always rated Karl Robinson as well.

Good to see us close out a game.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 01, 2020, 06:28:01 pm by Campsall rover »
It's not been often we've been starved of possession. Oxford are by some way the most cultured side I've seen this season and they did to us today what we were doing to sides in August/Sept.

But we showed a different strength. I thought we were defensively superb from back to front. Excellent discipline and the physical committment when it was needed.

A couple of signing
Ps next week and the play offs are still on.
Pleased you got that one in first BST  :) :) :)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 01, 2020, 06:31:37 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Defence - Rovers dominant
Midfield - Oxford dominant
Strikers - Both equally toothless (our goal came from a fullback)  I don't remember Oxford having an attempt on target.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 01, 2020, 06:35:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
According to the BBC, Oxford had 4 on target.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 01, 2020, 06:36:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Easy to say they were dominant but at 1 up we were pretty happy to let them have it. I thought Moore got his tactics wrong against Sunderland but spot on today. We wont concede many with that defence at this level we just need to score more.

6 pts from the 3 games is a good return though.  Get a few strikers and well get top 6.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 01, 2020, 06:36:50 pm by Reesielad »
What about the 2 clearances off the line, they even cheered thinking they had scored?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 01, 2020, 06:53:55 pm by Jonathan »
Very disciplined performance across the team. To be honest I felt hopeful as soon as I saw the lineup on the way down to the game. If we could field that eleven every game then I feel we’d be in with a shout. Today they showed their flexibility and worked very hard to a man.

The need for another centre forward is still very obvious. When Ennis came off you’d expect his replacement to be fresh legged, closing down and getting in front of their defenders. We didn’t get that from Thomas.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 01, 2020, 06:59:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
Very disciplined performance across the team. To be honest I felt hopeful as soon as I saw the lineup on the way down to the game. If we could field that eleven every game then I feel we’d be in with a shout. Today they showed their flexibility and worked very hard to a man.

The need for another centre forward is still very obvious. When Ennis came off you’d expect his replacement to be fresh legged, closing down and getting in front of their defenders. We didn’t get that from Thomas.
Add 2/3 more to that centre forward and we will be more  than a shout  and the bench would be strong enough to make a difference.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 01, 2020, 07:11:19 pm by drfchound »
We showed lots of grit and determination today to see that game out at 1-0.
Anderson in particular was a giant.
Whiteman again had a dodgy first half but got his game together after the break.
Oxford are a very good side and will be in the top six at the end of the season so a win against them is very good indeed.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 01, 2020, 07:28:23 pm by Campsall rover »
We showed lots of grit and determination today to see that game out at 1-0.
Anderson in particular was a giant.
Whiteman again had a dodgy first half but got his game together after the break.
Oxford are a very good side and will be in the top six at the end of the season so a win against them is very good indeed.
Very pleased with that grit we showed today.
It is a very fine line between winning and losing though and it was in midfield we showed some grit today with Sheaf helping Whiteman.
Other than that difference we didn’t play any better than we did against Sunderland.
Sunderland played their best game since Sept against us according to their supporters.
They were physically stronger than us and that’s what won it for them.
Oxford are a good footballing team and can mix it up with some physicality, but we stood up to them today and didn’t allow ourselves to get bullied.

Moving on to Tuesday.
Shrewsbury are the lowest scorers in the league and rely on a solid defence to eek out 1-0 wins.

They will be a very tough unit to break down and will come to do a job on us.

If we fail to win i will be very disappointed to see posts on here similar to those after all our other home games which we failed to win.
We do need to understand this team is in its infancy and is in the first throws of transition.
We will not very likely win 3/4/5 games on the bounce in this league this season.
There are always 2 teams playing and the opposition are sometimes as good or better than us.

The word patience springs to mind once again.
We shouldn’t be getting knee jerk reactions after every game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:01:19 pm by Campsall rover »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 01, 2020, 07:32:05 pm by IDM »
Sometimes you have to accept that you are up against a good side who are currently better than yourselves.  You have to stop them scoring as much as going for goals.. sometimes the opposition will have the most of the play but with a disciplined defence and taking a chance up front or two, a better team can be beaten..

Don’t forget we hammered Portsmouth yet lost that game - there is more than one way to get good results..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 01, 2020, 07:43:59 pm by RoversAlias »
I think Darren Moore has shown his tactical acumen and ability to understand the ways to combat opposition styles this week, in the game at Peterborough and today. It's something that will make a difference if we're able to get into position to have a Play Off run or other big games.

If the club can get him the players, I'm confident Moore can achieve our ambitions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 01, 2020, 08:07:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Strikers - Both equally toothless (our goal came from a fullback)  I don't remember Oxford having an attempt on target.

We cleared two off the line.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 01, 2020, 08:18:48 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Really enjoyed today’s game. I really enjoy watching a tough, determined & ‘never say die’ performance like that. As others have said, Oxford are easily the best team we’ve played this season but DM devised the perfect game plan to counter them.

Fingers crossed for the new striker(s) announcement in the next few days...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 01, 2020, 08:30:56 pm by Bessie Red »

They had two cleared off the line for a start!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 01, 2020, 08:37:07 pm by IDM »
If the stats show we only had 4 shots, then the strikers can hardly be toothless, if they hardly have any chances.?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 01, 2020, 08:41:31 pm by scawsby steve »
That performance today reminded me of many of our performances in our title winning season of 7 years ago.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 01, 2020, 08:43:30 pm by drfchound »
Agreed Steve.
Sometimes it is good to win that way.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 01, 2020, 08:48:11 pm by the vicar »
they were very unlucky with the one that hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 01, 2020, 08:50:27 pm by ravenrover »
Yes absolutely gutted for them

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 01, 2020, 08:55:52 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
That performance today reminded me of many of our performances in our title winning season of 7 years ago.

That’s a very good point actually Steve.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 01, 2020, 09:04:32 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Defensively and tactically superb today. Bit of luck also with a few goal line scrambles/clearances but a massive home win..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:08:10 pm by Donny Exile in York »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012