Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:00:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Generation Game  (Read 1399 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
The Generation Game
« on January 24, 2020, 02:00:54 pm by Branton Rover »
The difference between Perspective on Rovers lack of inward business I would argue is generational - if you’re a Rovers fan say under 30 you’ve only really ever seen success from the Penney / SOD era onwards - this has raised expectations of the youngsters considerably whereas those of us who have more miles on the clock have been brought up mainly on rubbish with low expectations of anything substantial in terms of success - to illustrate this I never thought I’d see us at Wembley having gone close in the Noteman/Muir/Bruno Jones era - in my first 20 years of following the club from 1981 I only saw one promotion

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: The Generation Game
« Reply #1 on January 24, 2020, 02:09:04 pm by RoversAlias »
You might be right to some degree but I'm not sure it can all be put down to age.

The average age of regular posters on here for instance I'm sure is well above 30, I may be wrong but that is how it appears, and we have had plenty of dissenting voices about the issue here this season. I myself am 27 and started going straight after we dropped into the Conference, so I have only seen success really as a Rovers supporter but tend to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 24, 2020, 02:20:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'm 29 and quite patient when it comes to Rovers.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 24, 2020, 03:29:35 pm by Donnywolf »
I think the difference now compared to "back then" is that Clubs could truly aspire to play in the top tier and they were not as constrained by money (although Man U paid Rovers 23000 quid for Harry Gregg in 56/57 was it)

It was more fluid then - rather than being fixed as it is now with the game now awash with money

I remember Northampton Town going from Fourth Division to Division One and then back again in pretty short order - and Ipswich rising "from nowt" to winning Division One (as it was then) at their first attempt

My Dad and others used to say Rovers were a selling club and it always seemed that way to me - but right now I feel Rovers are constrained by the fortunes needed to leap up one Tier whereas back then you always dreamed (hoped) for the best and were content for what you ended up with and by and large the best years have been since we left the League post Richardson and then the years till now.

So I understand the need of some to progress - challenge - call it what you will because the latest generation of supporters must have been tantalised by that success but for me (and unfortunately for them) it is much much much more difficult now without a Sheik or Chinese Billionaire to climb the pyramid than back then when I was a lad and then a young man just "hoping" we would do it when it was a more level playing field

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 24, 2020, 03:29:53 pm by Branton Rover »
The point I was trying to make is the fact that expectations have risen out of all proportion since I was a youngster - I grew up with expectations of nothing following Rovers and barring us beating QPR in the cup and a trip to Goodison Park my expectations were met.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 24, 2020, 03:51:27 pm by ScillyRover »
Having watched and followed Rovers for over 60 years, I’ve learned to temper my expectations regarding success on the field. Off-field I think the Club have exceeded my expectations of late. No doubt about it, we are far more stable and progressive looking now than at any time over the last few decades.
In the distant past we were always regarded as a selling Club. Times many we had potentially a great side only to see it demolished and find ourselves back to square one having let good players go and invariably for little return.
I hope I live long enough to see us flying high in this league and above but I’ll continue to take it as it comes. RTID.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 24, 2020, 04:14:58 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Don't disagree with most of what's been said, having been watching Rovers for over 50 years.
The only thing I would argue against is we don't seem to be anywhere near as progressive or forward thinking as when JR was Chairman. There just doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm there now.
Having said that JR was a one off

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 24, 2020, 04:21:05 pm by silent majority »
The average age of a Rovers fan, at least those with Season Tickets is above 60. They form the largest group in our ST database.

It's going to take another generation or so for that to change.

So, I think there's some merit in what Branton says, but I also think social media, and its acceptance by the younger generation, has a part to play.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 24, 2020, 04:23:55 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I agree with the OP, but I do tend to be pessimistic (it avoids too many disappointments!)

As I have pointed put on the Copps stat thread, during his stay at the club which began in 2004 he has:

1.  Won three promotions with the club (only Paul Green has equalled that)

2.  Played in Rovers best FAC run/season ever (we have reached the 5th round on 4 other occasions but always when starting from Round 3)

3.  Played in Rovers best Football League Cup run/season ever (we reached the 5th round in 1975-76 but the 2-7 defeat to Spurs, however well we played and I was there, was not as close as the penalties loss to Arsenal)

4.  Played in our only national knockout trophy (JPT) winning team

5.  Played in a team finishing with our highest league standing in the national pyramid since our first ever league seson in 1901-02 (we were 12th in the Championship for 32nd place - we did finish 11th in Division 2 when there were 22 teams in League one in 1950-51, so 33rd nationally. In 1901-02 there were two leagues of 18 clubs and we finished 7th in Dvision 2 for 25th overall)

6.  Played in front of the 2 largest crowds in Rovers history (Wembley and Cardiff)

When we also include the fact that 2002-03 and 2003-04 were both promotion winning seasons, and 2003-04 title winning season is our second best league season ever with respect to points per game (second only to the miracle season of 1946-47, then anyone who started watching in 2002 has seen a large share of our highlights since 1879 and would regard tier 3 as a normal or even low level for us.

I started watching in 1962 and in the 40 seasons from 1962-3 to 2001-2 we only had 10 seasons above tier 4, and 5 of those were relegation seasons. We also went 10 seasons from 1988-89 to 1997-98 and 22 matches without winning a single League cup match (all two leg pairings). In 1987-88 we won the first round 2-leg pairing, but lost both matches in the second round (hence the 22 matches). That was pretty grim. Anyone with that grounding is more likely to think tier 3 is above our normal level.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:27:08 pm by Dutch Uncle »

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 24, 2020, 04:25:28 pm by mrfrostsdad »
The average age of a Rovers fan, at least those with Season Tickets is above 60. They form the largest group in our ST database.

So, I think there's some merit in what Branton says, but I also think social media, and its acceptance by the younger generation, has a part to play.

I'm surprised at that SM.
Where I sit in the West Stand there's plenty of over 60's, but I'm surprised that's replicated all the way round the ground

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 24, 2020, 04:34:44 pm by silent majority »

I'm surprised at that SM.
Where I sit in the West Stand there's plenty of over 60's, but I'm surprised that's replicated all the way round the ground

It's a point that's been made in Supporter Board meetings a few times. I'm always intrigued by the percentages, and then compare that with walk ups etc.

So, for the last few years it's been seniors, followed by juniors. We have an increasing and growing teenage element, but at £30 for the season why wouldn't you? And walk ups number about a 1,000 on average.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 24, 2020, 04:50:57 pm by RoversAlias »
I can believe that SM, as I don't generally see too many people around my age range at games, and that's with sitting in the South Stand where I expect most of the younger brigade do choose to sit.

By comparison, see plenty of over 50s and of course kids coming with their parents. Those around my age and perhaps a little bit older/younger either side are something of a lost generation due to Rovers' plight when I was a kid. I was the only Rovers supporter in my primary school, I got laughed at. 99% of the rest of the boys followed Man Utd since they won everything at the time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012