Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:32:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: For those watching on Sky.  (Read 2988 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
For those watching on Sky.
« on January 25, 2020, 09:05:05 am by Colin C No.3 »
Could you hear the Rovers support?

Sunderland’s supporters seemed in the main to be stunned into silence!

We sounded loud but you always get a false sense of volume when you’re tightly packed in a group.

The loudest chant from the Sunderland supporters was as the teams were walking off at half time & they broke into “Your not fit to referee”😂

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: For those watching on Sky.
« Reply #1 on January 25, 2020, 09:05:31 am by DearneValleyRover »
In a word YES

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 25, 2020, 09:25:37 am by IDM »
Yes.. there were plenty of times when it was Rovers fans being heard.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 25, 2020, 09:38:56 am by Campsall rover »
Our fans were very vocal last night. Great atmosphere and well behaved. All those standing were at the back.
We must have had something approaching 1000 there.
Don’t know what the official away support figure was.
30.200 gate on a Friday night when on TV for 3rd tier football is a fantastic turnout from both sets of fans.

Looking forward to going there again next season in the Championship. Well you never know. Not impossible.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 25, 2020, 09:47:22 am by Padge_DRFC »
John Taylor chant could be heard best.

Very silent in general after first 15 mins home end.

Crap that away fans are put up there. Even the Sunderland fans agree.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 25, 2020, 10:01:49 am by Colin C No.3 »

Astute thinking by Sunderland mind, having their support on all four sides of the ground.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 25, 2020, 12:08:51 pm by RoversAlias »
Newcastle do the same thing, as we'll remember from 2009/10. Always amuses me when the away side scores at that end on MOTD and the scorer salutes his fans by basically pointing to the sky because they're so far away.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 25, 2020, 01:00:55 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Premier league it's not allowed, but Newcastle get away with it for some sort of safety reasons.
Man Utd wanted to put away fans in the third tier but league rules won't allow it for away fans.
I couldn't watch football every week up in the gods all about being close to the action. Quite happy we will never have that issue.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 25, 2020, 05:25:59 pm by drfchound »
Newcastle do the same thing, as we'll remember from 2009/10. Always amuses me when the away side scores at that end on MOTD and the scorer salutes his fans by basically pointing to the sky because they're so far away.

Crikey, you couldn't even tell the numbers on the players backs, never mind the names, from up there.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 25, 2020, 08:01:12 pm by RoversAlias »

Crikey, you couldn't even tell the numbers on the players backs, never mind the names, from up there.

Yeah, in that Newcastle game I sometimes struggled to distinguish O'Connor, who was bald, from Shiels, who was blonde.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 25, 2020, 08:13:11 pm by silent majority »
Premier league it's not allowed, but Newcastle get away with it for some sort of safety reasons.
Man Utd wanted to put away fans in the third tier but league rules won't allow it for away fans.
I couldn't watch football every week up in the gods all about being close to the action. Quite happy we will never have that issue.

You're right it's not. We campaigned for that for some time using the argument, the one what the EPL liked, was that it was better  for TV audiences to see opposition fans in the stadium.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 25, 2020, 09:51:37 pm by Padge_DRFC »

You're right it's not. We campaigned for that for some time using the argument, the one what the EPL liked, was that it was better  for TV audiences to see opposition fans in the stadium.

Do you know how Newcastle got around it?

Reckon capped prices for away fans will filter down the football league one day? If Leeds go up they will have to reduce away end ticket prices.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 25, 2020, 11:50:15 pm by pib »

I’m surprised the PL went for that when, in quite a few cases, even though the away fans are at pitch level they are on the same side as the TV cameras so can’t be seen by TV audiences anyway. See Bournemouth, Norwich, Palace, Everton, Villa, and to a lesser extent Leicester.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 26, 2020, 07:40:31 am by Donnywolf »

Astute thinking by Sunderland mind, having their support on all four sides of the ground.

Yes and something called for moe than once on here I seem to remember. What game did we actually take over the North Stand as well - cant remember the circumstances but we had a cracking crowd

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 26, 2020, 07:46:41 am by idler »
Crystal Palace in the Championship? Also versus Crewe in the JPT Crewe. Was talking to a Crewe fan yesterday. He mistakenly thought that he had seen the first coloured footballer in Charlie Williams. He was three years older than me at 74 but we had a good natter about footie and 60s music. He lives in Goa now, lucky so and so.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 26, 2020, 08:19:31 am by wilts rover »

That is all down to Martin O'Neill.

When the SoL first opened the away fans were behind the goal at the other end. After O'Neill took over as manager he had them moved to where they are now 'to create a better atmosphere' for the home club. He did the same thing at Villa of course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147851/Martin-ONeill-backs-Sunderland-stadium-plans.html

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 26, 2020, 09:28:09 am by Donnywolf »
Crystal Palace in the Championship? Also versus Crewe in the JPT Crewe. Was talking to a Crewe fan yesterday. He mistakenly thought that he had seen the first coloured footballer in Charlie Williams. He was three years older than me at 74 but we had a good natter about footie and 60s music. He lives in Goa now, lucky so and so.

Cant Goa to many home games though can he ?

Cheers - Crewe in JPT I remember now but Palace I cant but no doubt you are right

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 26, 2020, 09:50:39 am by idler »
I thought that they split the away end for the Palace game but I was on holiday so missed it. I let my nephew have my seat. I was glued to the iPad and very relieved that we didn’t lose.
The Crewe fan was a great bloke, a real footy fan and better than the plastic Liverpool and Man U fans watching games in the bar.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012