Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:34:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gomes  (Read 2869 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Gomes
« on February 04, 2020, 09:38:36 pm by Filo »
A proper box to box player, I’m getting more and more impressed by him everytime he plays

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Gomes
« Reply #1 on February 04, 2020, 09:43:25 pm by MachoMadness »
He looks fitter and stronger with every game. Quietly becoming a solid player for us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 04, 2020, 09:46:42 pm by drfchound »
A proper box to box player, I’m getting more and more impressed by him everytime he plays

Me too.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 04, 2020, 09:59:21 pm by Branton Rover »
The lad is a proper player - young, hungry, energetic & skilful - hope he can be the new JC time will tell but a very promising start - well done Madger

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 04, 2020, 10:02:00 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Man of the match for me tonight not seen that kind of box to box play since Greeny

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 04, 2020, 10:06:05 pm by Iberian Red »

Best player on the pitch,if you could call it that

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 04, 2020, 10:08:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Since he’s hit form over the last couple of months I’d personally rather he start than Sheaf. The two bens in midfield are quite similar whereas Gomes moves about the pitch more so we push the opposition back. Not to mention he’s a drfc player. Think sheaf might be the player to miss out from the loanees especially given John seems to be started no matter what when fit.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 04, 2020, 10:16:11 pm by graingrover »
What a tremendous performance from him again tonight ...busy and skilful and no longer gives the ball away thanks to his close control and quicker despatch of the pass

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 04, 2020, 10:18:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not sure I've ever seen a Rovers player improve as rapidly as he has done this last few weeks. Best player in the squad since Xmas.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 04, 2020, 10:18:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
Horses for courses, Sedwards. How can anyone question 3 goals for and a clean sheet?

My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that Reece will be back in on Saturday.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 04, 2020, 10:19:06 pm by Retdon1 »
Played well tonight

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 04, 2020, 10:21:43 pm by rover-n-out »
Madger was excellent tonight, mom for me!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 04, 2020, 10:23:05 pm by Filo »
Not sure I've ever seen a Rovers player improve as rapidly as he has done this last few weeks. Best player in the squad since Xmas.

It’s all about giving him responsibility, and the confidence comes next, he’s gone from a rabbit in the headlights, to a player that looks every inch like he should be in the team, he’s a quality player in the making

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 04, 2020, 10:24:50 pm by BigH »
Some lovely turns and jinks that took the play forward at times tonight. Should be good for his confidence.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 04, 2020, 10:29:00 pm by Chris the Rover »
Perhaps this marked upturn in form is down to DM. He obviously realises that Madger has it in him to become a very good player. He improves with every game - long may it continue.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 04, 2020, 10:45:53 pm by anton123 »
Did Gomes play at side of Ben or was he in the copps role ?

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 04, 2020, 11:01:44 pm by Magicman »
Did Gomes play at side of Ben or was he in the copps role ?
he played everywhere.  They seek him here, they seek him there they seek him everywhere,the bright elusive pimpernel

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2020, 12:48:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It was a far more fluid midfield than we've usually seen. Gomes was regularly picking the ball up deep, then surging forward - often down the left wing. Ramsey was generally more central, but also pushing forward.

If I was pushed, I'd say it was a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Whiteman and Cole as the 1's, but that doesn't really do it justice.

We had a side that piled forward when we attacked, with both full-backs driving forwards and only the two centre-halves staying back. So that was like a 2-3-4-1. With Whiteman flanked by the full backs, and a line of Ennis, Gomes, Ramsey and Sadlier supporting Cole.

But when we lost the ball, we rapidly dropped back to a much more compact 4-5-1, with a conventional back 4 and Ennis, Gomes, Ramsey and Sadlier dropping in to a 5 across the middle with Whiteman.

As said elsewhere, Gomes was outstanding. Tracking back, bursting through the middle or overlapping down the left wing and putting in superb crosses. I'm pinching myself to think how good that lad could be if he keeps on improving at this rate.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 05, 2020, 01:57:07 am by Bessie Red »
Madger was absolutely brilliant tonight both on and off the ball. He worked so hard to pre ent them playing and when he got on the ball he made us tick. Ramsay is worthy of a mention also as for his tender years he looks some player. The fans were great also. Well worth the trip over tonight!!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 05, 2020, 08:35:21 am by Metalmicky »
He appears to be playing his way to an improved contract.... I know he has 18 months to run on his current one, but keep that up and we will be looking to tie him down for longer.... as we did with Whiteman.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 05, 2020, 08:47:54 am by Pancho Regan »
Agree with all the above, especially Chris the Rover's point about DM taking credit for Madger's remarkable improvement.

Thank Heavens DM is the manager and not me! He clearly knew the talent and ability which Madger has and is now displaying. His work-rate last night was fantastic, and he showed great strength and energy on a very difficult pitch.
He covered every grain of sand....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012