Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:14:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EU can't keep it's controlling nose out of our business  (Read 3302 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
EU can't keep it's controlling nose out of our business
« on February 18, 2020, 09:04:37 pm by SydneyRover »
European Union to give council £500,000 to help small businesses in Doncaster
Doncaster Council is set to receive over £500,000 from the European Union in order to help small businesses.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/politics/council/european-union-give-council-ps500000-help-small-businesses-doncaster-1849002

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: EU can't keep it's controlling nose out of our business
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2020, 07:18:34 am by Sprotyrover »
It's interfering busybodies from the other side of the globe who I find more annoying

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2020, 08:01:16 am by SydneyRover »
I was just thinking the same sprot  :)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2020, 09:24:09 am by DonnyOsmond »
It's interfering busybodies from the other side of the globe who I find more annoying

Then Brexit seems daft in that sense.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2020, 11:43:35 am by drfchound »
Doncaster Council is set to receive over £500,000 from the European Union in order to help small businesses.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/politics/council/european-union-give-council-ps500000-help-small-businesses-doncaster-1849002

Damn those horrible Europeans, we just don’t need them.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2020, 12:07:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Funny how it's taken someone the other side of the world to inform someone on the doorstep of where the money's going to be spent.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2020, 12:20:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
This is why I'm pro-EU

South Yorkshire is noted as one of the poorest regions in the EU - inner West and East London is one of the richest along with Brussels and Hamburg.

They don't care about us and only care about London, why did people think they'd suddenly start caring about us if we're not paying into the EU? The EU care about poorer areas like ours and their not the ones who brought in austerity, the Tories are.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2020, 12:55:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Other countries in the EU also brought in austerity, including France and Germany.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2020, 01:35:35 pm by Axholme Lion »
So how much of our money is being spent in other parts of Europe. The only reason they don't want us to leave is because of all the money we CONTRIBUTE. We are losing out overall.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2020, 04:04:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So how much of our money is being spent in other parts of Europe. The only reason they don't want us to leave is because of all the money we CONTRIBUTE. We are losing out overall.

That's right, AL, you carry on conveniently forgetting how much the Single Market was worth to the UK economy.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2020, 04:37:14 pm by Not Now Kato »

That's right, AL, you carry on conveniently forgetting how much the Single Market was worth to the UK economy.

But. but, but, the Daily Mail said....

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2020, 07:16:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The Daily Mail said what?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2020, 07:47:56 pm by drfchound »

Funny how it's taken someone the other side of the world to inform someone on the doorstep of where the money's going to be spent.

I’m not sure why you included my post before your comment there Glyn.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2020, 07:57:10 pm by selby »
  The interesting thing about giving it to the local council, would be a list in two or three years time to see whose arse pocket the money ended up in.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2020, 08:28:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  The interesting thing about giving it to the local council, would be a list in two or three years time to see whose arse pocket the money ended up in.

It's a good job that EU regional grants get audited then.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2020, 08:51:28 pm by Not Now Kato »

Lots of things, much disinformation and lies - but then, you should know, your views on the EU seem to mirror it!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2020, 08:59:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is why I'm pro-EU

South Yorkshire is noted as one of the poorest regions in the EU - inner West and East London is one of the richest along with Brussels and Hamburg.

They don't care about us and only care about London, why did people think they'd suddenly start caring about us if we're not paying into the EU? The EU care about poorer areas like ours and their not the ones who brought in austerity, the Tories are.

Taking Northern Europe as a whole, the UK has the richest region (London) and nine (correction: six) of the ten poorest regions. Including South Yorkshire.

That is an utter disgrace and it is nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. It's to do with the policies of this Govt. The one that has just told you the EU is to blame.

South Yorkshire was just about to get €3.3bn of funds to help rectify that. The overwhelming majority paid for by the tax payers of the likes of Milan, Barcelona, Munich, Amsterdam, Paris and Stockholm.

We've given them the rods and put our trust in a Government that has presided over the economic stagnation of South Yorkshire. And we get fools like AL on here revelling in the glory of not being European.

It truly is a tragedy on a Shakespearean scale.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:11:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2020, 10:34:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Lots of things, much disinformation and lies - but then, you should know, your views on the EU seem to mirror it!

No, I don't know. I don't read it! How do you know? Do you read it?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2020, 11:05:24 pm by Not Now Kato »

No, I don't know. I don't read it! How do you know? Do you read it?

No, I don't read it BB, but I have friends that do and they spout the same nonsense you do.  One of them will start by saying "My paper says....",  and go on to repeat the same nonsense you do, directly from the Mail.

So, if you repeat that same nonsense, where do you get it from if not the Mail?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2020, 11:08:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ah right! Now, tell me what nonsense I spout.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2020, 11:12:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Define "our".

If you mean UK, then yes, we are a net contributor. It works out at about the price of a cup of coffee per person per week.

If you mean South Yorkshire, we are a much bigger net beneficiary. We receive far more back from the EU than our share of the national net contribution.

Would have been a hell of a lot more than that too, over the next 6 years if you'd not voted us out. Something like £2000 per man, woman and child in South Yorkshire. Gifted to us by the rest of the EU.

Thanks for that.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 20, 2020, 08:46:07 am by Axholme Lion »

Define "our".

If you mean UK, then yes, we are a net contributor. It works out at about the price of a cup of coffee per person per week.

If you mean South Yorkshire, we are a much bigger net beneficiary. We receive far more back from the EU than our share of the national net contribution.

Would have been a hell of a lot more than that too, over the next 6 years if you'd not voted us out. Something like £2000 per man, woman and child in South Yorkshire. Gifted to us by the rest of the EU.

Thanks for that.

I don't live in SY. Why should I bale it out?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 20, 2020, 08:55:33 am by Filo »

Define "our".

Thanks for that.

North Lincolnshire is the 10th poorest region in the UK

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 20, 2020, 09:26:00 am by Ldr »
This is why I'm pro-EU

Taking Northern Europe as a whole, the UK has the richest region (London) and nine (correction: six) of the ten poorest regions. Including South Yorkshire.

That is an utter disgrace and it is nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. It's to do with the policies of this Govt. The one that has just told you the EU is to blame.

South Yorkshire was just about to get €3.3bn of funds to help rectify that. The overwhelming majority paid for by the tax payers of the likes of Milan, Barcelona, Munich, Amsterdam, Paris and Stockholm.

We've given them the rods and put our trust in a Government that has presided over the economic stagnation of South Yorkshire. And we get fools like AL on here revelling in the glory of not being European.

It truly is a tragedy on a Shakespearean scale.

Hang on, you start by agreeing the UK put more in than we got out, then you list a raft of European cities that you say the monies would have been coming to south yorkshire from. You any idea how that sounds?

Stop and think

And then dispense with the attempted tugging at heart strings. If the EU was fair all countries should contribute the same amount for the same benefit. Anything else is wrong.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2020, 09:47:58 am by Axholme Lion »

Define "our".

Thanks for that.

North Lincolnshire is the 10th poorest region in the UK

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

Scunny may well be, but thankfully we have the River Trent to keep the Isle at a safe distance from all the scrotes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2020, 10:37:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.

Difficult to know where to begin with that one.

1) I'd have thought it was bleeding obvious why I listed those cities. Those are all in regions which contribute much more to the pot than they receive. Therefore, they would have been contributing heavily to the money that South Yorkshire would have received.

2) There are only two regions in the UK which contribute more than they receive: London, and SE England. So, yes, they would also be contributing. But their contribution would be a small fraction of the amount put in by the rest of Europe. Which is why I said "the overwhelming majority paid for by..."

3) "If the EU was fair all countries should contribute the same amount for the same benefit."

I'm surprised at you. You're a smart person but this is morally and economically illiterate.

It is a standard feature of ANY economically sovereign body that you redistribute money from the economically more successful places (like Stockholm) to the economically deprived areas (like Donny).

You do that for moral reasons. Because you don't want to live in a community where there are disgusting differences in wealth and opportunity.

You do that for hard-headed economic reasons. Because building up the wealth and infrastructure of poorer regions makes them richer future customers, and more effective future producers. The EU has been an astonishing success at helping countries that were economic backwaters when they joined (like Italy, Spain, Ireland, Czechia, Poland, the Baltics) developer far stronger, richer economies. It has done that by both making trade easier and redistributing funds to subsidise transport, education and industry infrastructure. It's done it in Donny in the past by subsidising the airport and racecourse and Frenchgate developments and the Railport. Now, Brexit supporters say that this is just our own money and WE should decide what we do with it. The trouble with that attitude being that it ignores history. The WE here is not the people of South Yorkshire. Because we in the UK have the most centralised political system in Europe, the funding decisions get made in London by the Govt. And 100 years of history says that when the Tories are in power, they do not invest in Doncaster. Because it is not electorally advantageous for them to do so. (And despite the bluster, they won't do this time either, because the investment wold not pay dividends in time for the next Election.)  And THAT is the core of the EU structural funds concept. It is not driven by political advantage. It is driven by objectively identified economic need,

Finally (and this is never discussed enough) you do it for hard-headed social cohesion reasons. If you don't buy the moral argument for why you don't want disgusting disparities of wealth, buy this one. Those disparities lead to frictions between regions and between nations that are fertile breeding grounds for extremists promoting aggression. THE key success of the EU, in the most dangerous region on earth, is that there has never been a civil war, an interstate war, a revolution or a loss of democracy in any member state after they joined the EU. Whereas there were literally dozens in the 50 years before each country joined the EU. Affecting EVERY SINGLE EU member.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:53:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2020, 10:38:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Define "our".

Thanks for that.

Then I suggest you sling your hook out of a Doncaster forum. You're an outsider. You're not welcome. Sod off.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2020, 11:05:05 am by Axholme Lion »

Define "our".

Thanks for that.

Then I suggest you sling your hook out of a Doncaster forum. You're an outsider. You're not welcome. Sod off.

Ha ha  :lol: :lol: :lol:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 20, 2020, 11:11:11 am by selby »
  Billy, that's racial He He.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 20, 2020, 11:20:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I just don't understand why folk just can't stay where they come from and not stick their noses in where they don't belong and aren't wanted.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012