Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:14:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 2448 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Blast from the past
« on February 18, 2020, 09:42:27 pm by Lesonthewest »
Paul Marquis, had a chat with him about his time at Belle Vue, remember him partnering Darren Moore, played in the game down at the old Goldstone ground when Darren was sent off. Top man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2020, 09:53:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He's a postman in Donny now. My lad works with him.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2020, 09:56:15 pm by rich1471 »
Paul Marquis, had a chat with him about his time at Belle Vue, remember him partnering Darren Moore, played in the game down at the old Goldstone ground when Darren was sent off. Top man.
that was a very hostile game wasn't it for fighting with Ian Baird 

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2020, 09:58:35 pm by Lesonthewest »
[/quot

I believe so, totally out of character for the big man.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2020, 10:47:07 pm by idler »
Not really, Baird sort of pulled Darren's shirt over his head and then gave him a few smacks. Then hero Baird was yards away by the time Darren had got his shirt back down and looking for who had done it if I remember right. DM was sent off for doing very little wrong.
He was then pelted with a few bananas as he went past the Brighton fans.
Pies or chips I could understand but why would maybe six or more fans take a banana to a game and still have it in their pocket in the second half.
That tested my respect to Brighton fans for their ongoing troubles at the time.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2020, 11:15:00 pm by rich1471 »
Remember at the time it looked more like 40-50 banana's been thrown at him , shocking behaviour really , it looked like Baird was targeting Moore all game to try and get him sent off

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2020, 07:14:29 am by idler »
Remember at the time it looked more like 40-50 banana's been thrown at him , shocking behaviour really , it looked like Baird was targeting Moore all game to try and get him sent off
I did think that it was more but didn't want to perhaps exaggerate as my memory isn't what it was. I remember being offered £70 for my ticket as I got the bus and then £100 as we walked down the side of the ground to get in. Les Rutherford has two spare tickets that he wouldn't sell in case they caused bother in our end. We then got in and there was a pocket of Brighton fans at the front and we were told that one of Uncle Ken's cronies had been selling away tickets in Brighton the night before.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2020, 06:49:00 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Not really, Baird sort of pulled Darren's shirt over his head and then gave him a few smacks. Then hero Baird was yards away by the time Darren had got his shirt back down and looking for who had done it if I remember right. DM was sent off for doing very little wrong.
He was then pelted with a few bananas as he went past the Brighton fans.
Pies or chips I could understand but why would maybe six or more fans take a banana to a game and still have it in their pocket in the second half.
That tested my respect to Brighton fans for their ongoing troubles at the time.

Careful Idler. Don't fall into the trap of all their fans.... I believe we had a "fan" spit at a ball boy at Brizzle last season...sure some of their fans think we are all scum.
Look on the positive.
Best memory I have is their banner "that season" when we got Richardson ejected for his own safety from the stand and they had their issues with  Archer- still had  courtesy to erect the banner  "Brighton fans say Richardson Out"...
My memory of that day at the Goldstone was walking across the pitch at the end and seeing their fans literally pulling up clumps of turf to take home as a souvenir - and yes I was also offered serious money too for my ticket!

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2020, 07:13:48 pm by rich1471 »
I did think that it was more but didn't want to perhaps exaggerate as my memory isn't what it was. I remember being offered £70 for my ticket as I got the bus and then £100 as we walked down the side of the ground to get in. Les Rutherford has two spare tickets that he wouldn't sell in case they caused bother in our end. We then got in and there was a pocket of Brighton fans at the front and we were told that one of Uncle Ken's cronies had been selling away tickets in Brighton the night before.
remember them walking on the Paul's coach and offering £100 a ticket that was a lot money back then , think that is the only game i was glad we lost dont think we would have got out alive that day if we had won

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2020, 08:15:05 pm by wilts rover »
Yes it was pretty lively that day. Their fans were at us all game - then at the end of the match we were allowed on the pitch and were shaking hands with them. One of them even gave me his hat - which I wore to Rovers games for years afterwards.

I also remember Darren (and I think it as Colin Crambe?) walking round the pitch before the game with a banner that said something long the lines of 'Rovers Players Support Brighton Fans'.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2020, 09:08:34 pm by Draytonian III »
I was there and after game everyone was on the pitch taking home souvenirs, me and my mate ripped up some of the turf and took it to our respective houses. I was really glad we lost that day

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2020, 09:21:23 pm by idler »
Yes it was pretty lively that day. Their fans were at us all game - then at the end of the match we were allowed on the pitch and were shaking hands with them. One of them even gave me his hat - which I wore to Rovers games for years afterwards.

I also remember Darren (and I think it as Colin Crambe?) walking round the pitch before the game with a banner that said something long the lines of 'Rovers Players Support Brighton Fans'.
I think that it was youth team players with the banner if I remember right.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2020, 09:27:43 pm by rich1471 »
I was there and after game everyone was on the pitch taking home souvenirs, me and my mate ripped up some of the turf and took it to our respective houses. I was really glad we lost that day
Will never forget sat on the coach at the end of the game and one of their fans walking past a  toilet seat in his hand still makes me smile still to this day and wounder why of all the things to take home he choose that

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2020, 09:34:38 pm by idler »
I remember seeing him as well. Everybody walking psat was getting soaked as well. A horrible day and my next visit to Brighton's ground ended badly in the 98th minute with Billy and James Hayter already off injured.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012