Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 10:02:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Does anyone else think that this season  (Read 3503 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Does anyone else think that this season
« on February 29, 2020, 10:27:09 am by phil old leake »
Has potentially been a waste of time

I was just reading Liam H opinions on the loan players

It’s looking highly likely that none of them will be here next year. They are basically the backbone of the first 11

It’s likely that Sadlier will be leaving and apparently only Amos from the young players in anywhere near the first team

If I’m right the squad at the end of the season will be probably lighter than this

I’m struggling to see how this season can be anything. It can’t even be claimed that it’s been a season preparing for next because most of the first team won’t be here

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but that’s how I see it

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Does anyone else think that this season
« Reply #1 on February 29, 2020, 10:32:36 am by vaya »
Probably best we resign from the league now. Pointless going on.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 29, 2020, 10:36:33 am by The Beast »
I think people are too uptight. Enjoy going to the Rovers for what it is, we win, we draw, we lose, you see your mates have a laugh and get behind the team.
We were never going to be challenging this season after the pre-season we had, we’ve got the foundation of a good back four and a few exciting players, loans are the way of the world now, it’s the finances of all the money been shared between the top clubs, we’ve got to get used to it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 29, 2020, 10:42:53 am by The Red Baron »
Although it's lacked the excitement of the last one, where we had the FA Cup run and the play-offs, I'd rather have a season of treading water than a relegation dogfight.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 29, 2020, 10:45:33 am by phil old leake »
I’m with you beast when I could get I went win lose or draw for the enjoyment of going

I’d still like to see some development of the squad. I don’t care if it’s only an occasional push for glory but every club needs a team based around their players not reliant on players from other clubs

We could well be looking for another keeper if Lawlor decides it moves on. There will also be clubs in for the likes of Anderson

There’s just no depth or forward planning for me

I’m just very grateful that the club is being run like a proper business and not a financial toy.  Long may that last and RTID

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 29, 2020, 10:47:40 am by NickDRFC »
If it makes us realise that the current strategy is too short-termist then that’s no bad thing. The biggest challenge for me will be keeping hold of Anderson & Whiteman.

If we get through the summer and start the season with Wright, Anderson, Halliday, James, Whiteman, Taylor, Gomes & Okenabirhie then obviously that’s the bare bones but it’s a decent set of foundations to build on. It’s going to be a very busy summer and this time there will be absolutely no excuses if we fail to recruit well enough.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:05:54 am by NickDRFC »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 29, 2020, 11:03:40 am by Padge_DRFC »
I think we will sign Dieng.

I disagree that loans are the backbone.

For me our strongest 11 includes 2

Sheaf and Dieng.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 29, 2020, 11:05:31 am by NickDRFC »
Dieng’s form has definitely dipped recently - not been as solid, flapped at crosses and a couple of other errors. A cunning ruse to ward off suitors, sign for us and then get back to his imperious pre-Christmas form?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 29, 2020, 11:21:25 am by knockers »
For me it’s just been a little bit dull.
Quite a few times this year we’ve come out the games and
said that we didn’t really enjoy that.
A number of other people I’ve spoken to have felt the same and it may be a transitional season but we really do need to get our business done early next year and Moore needs to be a little more flexible in his thinking.
If your playing well you should stay in the side.
Being dropped after being man of the match must knock you a bit.

I’d love to see us sign Dieng and Sheaf. The rest of the loans don’t offer a great deal.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 29, 2020, 12:06:33 pm by Campsall rover »
We have 12 games to play. 36 points to play for.
As hound keeps saying it’s not us the supporters who are playing.

Just as well judging by some of these posts.  Shall we all not bother to turn up then if it’s been a waste of time.

Crikey shouldn’t we be getting behind the team and see where it takes us.
Play offs are unlikely yes but not impossible so let’s give it our best shot.
Whatever, we want to finish as high as possible and finish with a bit of positivity going into the close season and next season.
Let’s have some positive thinking.  :that:

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 29, 2020, 12:28:15 pm by sha66y »
We have 12 games to either be pissed off or happy!
The team have 12 games to impress the fans that watch them...

The manager has 12 games to work out exactly what he needs, and put into place a viable plan to execute it....( next season)

I don’t care much for the play off dream....... we been their, done that!
I want to see a Rovers team win games they should, and try and get a point from the games we, as fans expect the team to lose to.....

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 29, 2020, 12:52:54 pm by phil old leake »
Big negative and argumentative Campsall. I don’t think I mentioned not attending although I can’t due to where I live
I was just making a point about where I feel we are
I support the club as much as anyone else but I don’t wear rose tinted glasses

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 29, 2020, 01:36:07 pm by DonnyOsmond »

It’s looking highly likely that none of them will be here next year. They are basically the backbone of the first 11

It’s likely that Sadlier will be leaving and apparently only Amos from the young players in anywhere near the first team

If I’m right the squad at the end of the season will be probably lighter than this

I’m struggling to see how this season can be anything. It can’t even be claimed that it’s been a season preparing for next because most of the first team won’t be here

Of the loan players Hoden said we have a very good chance of getting Lokilo. He also said Cam John was a possibility of joining permanent at the beginning of the season but his performances has attracted Championship clubs. Sheaf and Ennis will possibly be on-loan at Championship clubs and Dieng will probably be back at QPR.

Not sure where you've got that about Sadlier/Amos too, unless that's just your opinion?

Dieng’s form has definitely dipped recently - not been as solid, flapped at crosses and a couple of other errors. A cunning ruse to ward off suitors, sign for us and then get back to his imperious pre-Christmas form?

I think the winds played a big part in that and we should start seeing improvements shortly now it's dying down again.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 29, 2020, 02:12:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I've heard the players have started taking Gaviscon.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 29, 2020, 02:24:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Fair assessment by Hoden in the article. The season isn't over yet but nothing is ever a waste of time unless you don't learn from it. Only then, it will be a failure if we don't use the experience to our advantage.

Despite some obvious difficulties, DM has achieved some great results and got the team playing really good football in his first season. As Hoden says there has been many positives but fans tend to focus on the negatives when things don't go well and there's too many who would rather jump to conclusions before asking questions. That's something I hope fans can learn from.

If anything, it should wet our appetite for future seasons however DM wants to assemble a squad.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 29, 2020, 05:28:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »
On the flip side for this thread. If we keep Whiteman/Anderson and get Sadlier and Copps to sign new deals we'd probably be about 3/4 players off challenging for promotion next year. Our defence is already sorted minus keeper, we have a striker now too and could potentially add Lokilo, who looked decent today.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 29, 2020, 06:01:11 pm by Campsall rover »
Big negative and argumentative Campsall. I don’t think I mentioned not attending although I can’t due to where I live
I was just making a point about where I feel we are
I support the club as much as anyone else but I don’t wear rose tinted glasses
1) I never said you don’t support the club as much as anyone else.
2) I certainly don’t wear rose tinted glasses and i did say the play offs would be very difficult.

All I said is we we should remain positive, get behind the team and today’s win proves it ain’t over yet.
If you have a problem with that then that’s your choice.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:00:42 pm by Campsall rover »

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 29, 2020, 06:11:18 pm by keith79 »
Always one team that comes from nowhere. Why not us.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 29, 2020, 08:10:09 pm by IDM »
I’m with you beast when I could get I went win lose or draw for the enjoyment of going

I’d still like to see some development of the squad. I don’t care if it’s only an occasional push for glory but every club needs a team based around their players not reliant on players from other clubs

We could well be looking for another keeper if Lawlor decides it moves on. There will also be clubs in for the likes of Anderson

There’s just no depth or forward planning for me

I’m just very grateful that the club is being run like a proper business and not a financial toy.  Long may that last and RTID

That may be your opinion, but there is almost certainly forward planning going on behind the scenes..

We just don’t get to see it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 29, 2020, 08:40:21 pm by ravenrover »
DM said in his interview planning for next season has already started

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 29, 2020, 08:40:55 pm by coventryrover »
We have done ok this season.     

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 29, 2020, 11:11:39 pm by Campsall rover »
We have done ok this season.   
And it’s not finished. 33 points to play for. If we get 23 of them we have every chance of the play offs.

Yes it’s a very tall order but while it’s still possible we keep going.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 01, 2020, 12:07:08 am by coventryrover »
Given the ppsy disruption we keep having I am satisfied.   My cup is always half full though

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 01, 2020, 09:55:14 am by IDM »

To answer the question, no, of course it hasn’t, especially with a quarter of it left.!

Seasons can be disappointing or underwhelming when we look back, but given the mess GM left us in over the summer, and the fact that we have been competitive for much of this season, it’s hardly a waste of time.

So what if we have more loanees than ideal, that’s how football is.. maybe DM will have better success in the summer with permanent deals, who knows.

But this season isn’t a waste of time..

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 01, 2020, 10:17:22 am by normal rules »

Perhaps you should swAp allegiance Phil and start going to the  Ethiad. 😀
In jest of course.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 01, 2020, 10:24:27 am by normal rules »
History will show rovers are still and always have been a yo yo club. Flirting with the old third and fourth divisions. Now lge 1 and 2 of course.
Small foray into championship of course and the the dark days on non league.
The club, and town, just sit within the jigsaw puzzle that is the national picture as a small piece, always being overshadowed by the bigger local clubs. Always will.
So lucky to have responsible owners that keep the club afloat. We just get by and sometimes over excel, but in the main it’s head above water, making the best of what we have.
And that’s just fine.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 01, 2020, 12:23:18 pm by Avsuptem »
History will show rovers are still and always have been a yo yo club. Flirting with the old third and fourth divisions. Now lge 1 and 2 of course.
Small foray into championship of course and the the dark days on non league.
The club, and town, just sit within the jigsaw puzzle that is the national picture as a small piece, always being overshadowed by the bigger local clubs. Always will.
So lucky to have responsible owners that keep the club afloat. We just get by and sometimes over excel, but in the main it’s head above water, making the best of what we have.
And that’s just fine.

Sorry Mr. Super Rational Voice of Reason but I totally disagree with the sentiment. It is not fine to accept mediocrity. Knowing our place should not be in the mind of any supporter.  Some of us go back long enough to be accustomed to life in the old 2nd division and I for one dream of the day we make it the Premier league. Why the hell not ? If we do those bigger clubs around us will become smaller clubs. I am not having anyone diminish my dreams thank you. Ambition rules !

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 01, 2020, 01:02:36 pm by RoversAlias »
I can't agree with an assessment saying we are a team to "flirt with the third and fourth divisions".

I think we've spent precisely two years in the last 15 doing anything of the sort, that being the ridiculous 2015-16 capitulation and subsequent return straight back. This club has moved forward a hell of a lot since the start of the century and are now firmly established as, at worst, a top half League One side. We strive to become a Championship side and I firmly believe the club will do its best to make that reality.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 01, 2020, 01:18:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I can't agree with an assessment saying we are a team to "flirt with the third and fourth divisions".

I think we've spent precisely two years in the last 15 doing anything of the sort, that being the ridiculous 2015-16 capitulation and subsequent return straight back. This club has moved forward a hell of a lot since the start of the century and are now firmly established as, at worst, a top half League One side. We strive to become a Championship side and I firmly believe the club will do its best to make that reality.

Over the past 15 seasons (not including this one) our positions on average equate to 6th in League One.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 01, 2020, 02:36:50 pm by drfchound »

Over the past 15 seasons (not including this one) our positions on average equate to 6th in League One.

It would be nice to maintain that average this season then.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012