Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:38:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Have Rovers done it again ?  (Read 3151 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Have Rovers done it again ?
« on March 02, 2020, 09:30:44 pm by since-1969 »
Liam Mandeville's inclusion in the England C squad, Should Rovers have held on to him ??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Have Rovers done it again ?
« Reply #1 on March 02, 2020, 09:31:52 pm by drfchound »
No.
The National League is about right for him IMO.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 02, 2020, 09:40:36 pm by IDM »
Done what again.?

England C is for non league semi pro players.. we’re in league 1..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 02, 2020, 09:57:23 pm by Campsall rover »
All I will say is Darren Ferguson did not man manage him.
Liam Mandeville was a very talented footballer. Not saying he wasn’t to blame in any way himself for not making it at Rovers but another manager may have handled him better and got the best out of him.
A talent gone to waste that is a definite.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 02, 2020, 10:04:14 pm by Alickismyhero »
As most people know I followed Mandy's time after he left us and I would say there were parts of his game I thought was terrific. But, and that's a big but, there is something lacking in the lad. I never got to the bottom of it. Its not too late for him to turn it around and I hope he does.
Mental health problems of football players are in the news a lot now could Mandy have a mental problem? I play golf with a young pro footballer every now and then and he was describing his problems he had in dealing with the abuse he got from the supporters. He left 1st div football and is now enjoying playing non league football. He was telling me the other day he has been approached by two first division teams for next season. Its not out of the question he could be at Donny next season as he is getting some rave reviews non league, but I doubt it. I admit I have not seen him play but he is a bandit at golf.

Campsall,

Spot on it would have been different with DM in charge.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 02, 2020, 10:28:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Liam Mandeville's inclusion in the England C squad, Should Rovers have held on to him ??

In a word...no?

In a few more...I'm surprised "England C" is even still going to be honest. I've looked at their team from their last game and I've heard of precisely zero of their players. Even in discussing his call-up the Chesterfield manager has primarily talked about how Mandeville is inconsistent.

He did not do enough to push on and justify that early promise here. He didn't pull up any trees in League Two at Morecambe either really, and he played plenty. Mandeville may yet be a league standard player one day but we were absolutely right to let him go and wish him well for the future elsewhere.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 02, 2020, 11:45:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Let’s just say this Alfie May gone to Cheltenham and scored 6 goals so far.
Mandeville went to Morcambe and did not pull any trees up he’s not done that in the National League either. He’s let himself down for what ever reason his promise in the U18 and start of his league career is diminishing. So let’s see if he can be more consistent and  rediscover his league career.
https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/john-pemberton-liam-mandevilles-england-c-call-and-how-it-can-benefit-chesterfield-2006897
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:51:48 pm by steve@dcfd »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 03, 2020, 01:11:59 am by Draytonian III »
I think Chesterfield was the wrong move for him especially when John Sheridan was manager, he would have better off getting a contract at somewhere like Morecambe for a couple of years and moving back up from there .

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 03, 2020, 06:44:57 am by phil old leake »
Personally without knowing the lad and all the ins and outs of what happened it seemed me that DF had an issue with him. Going public that the lad accepted being dropped.  Is that not professional
If he’d stormed into his office and kicked off he’d probably have said he had a bad attitude
I rated him always thought it was a waste when he left
I hope he makes it plays in league 1 next season and scores a hat trick against posh to shove it up Ferguson

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 03, 2020, 07:37:03 am by silent majority »
When you say ‘have Rovers done it again?’ What do you mean exactly?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 03, 2020, 08:04:14 am by DonnyOsmond »
Some players just waste their potential by not having any mental strength, Mandeville is one of them and I wouldn't blame Fergie at all for LM's downfall.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 03, 2020, 08:17:45 am by drfchound »
I bet we all know lads either from our youth, or from playing with and against them over the years, that we thought “should have made it”.
Some got a bit further than others but eventually they drifted out of the game.
Some found a level that they could shine at and played there for a few years, continuing to confound their mates who tell people how good these lads are, or were.
There are lots of reasons why these players don’t become pro footballers.
Attitude, dedication, lack of enough ability, a bit of luck of course and some have a very good secure job and preferred to play part time.
I don’t know Mandeville personally but I have seen him play often enough.
He does have good skills and certainly is a decent finisher but is inconsistent.
He may yet find his way back into league football.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 03, 2020, 09:53:06 am by since-1969 »
I bet we all know lads either from our youth, or from playing with and against them over the years, that we thought “should have made it”.
Some got a bit further than others but eventually they drifted out of the game.
Some found a level that they could shine at and played there for a few years, continuing to confound their mates who tell people how good these lads are, or were.
There are lots of reasons why these players don’t become pro footballers.
Attitude, dedication, lack of enough ability, a bit of luck of course and some have a very good secure job and preferred to play part time.
I don’t know Mandeville personally but I have seen him play often enough.
He does have good skills and certainly is a decent finisher but is inconsistent.
He may yet find his way back into league football.
It’s a shame under DM he could have stood a chance will all our striker problem recently, but I’m delighted that he is being seen as still having potential!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 03, 2020, 11:10:20 am by selby »
  The lad himself is responsible mostly for the level of football he now plays in, he didn't knuckle down and help himself.
  But the manager we had is just as responsible, a continual failure at bringing players through,and only wants players he brings into the club playing.
   Don't forget the first players he first wanted to ditch after arriving here were Butler and Coppinger. Peterborough will go through the same scenario, the latest players signed by him having the advantage over the longer serving players just like Maddison has found out.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 03, 2020, 12:16:55 pm by dickos1 »
Ferguson played him more than any other manager and trusted him to start plenty of games in league one and two.
Mccann got rid of him and Beestin without ever seeing them play a match

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 03, 2020, 01:47:00 pm by selby »
  McCann had nothing to do with Mandeville and McCullough being let go the die was cast before he took over and was the fault of the players not conducting themselves the way the club expect employees to act, and rightfully so.
  Beestin was McCanns choice and down to playing ability not being of a good enough standard in his opinion.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 05, 2020, 12:57:32 pm by dickos1 »
Bit harsh on McCullough to say he went because he didn’t contact himself correctly.
He was injured for about a year and then got sent to tranmere to get fit

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 05, 2020, 01:17:27 pm by Pancho Regan »
Bit harsh on McCullough to say he went because he didn’t contact himself correctly.
He was injured for about a year and then got sent to tranmere to get fit

It's more than a bit harsh on McCullough, it's a downright slur. Have you got something concrete to base that on Selby?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 05, 2020, 03:03:59 pm by The Red Baron »
Off the top of my head, there aren't too many young players we've allowed to leave who have gone on to better things. Certainly not over the last 10-15 years.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 05, 2020, 03:58:22 pm by dijit8 »
I can remember Paul Holmes being forced out by Dave MacKay as part of the deal for Paul Dobson.
Wouldn't have thought it at the time but he went on to play in Premier League but that must 30 years ago.

Can't remember many since if any at all

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 05, 2020, 04:24:16 pm by RedRover45 »
I can remember Paul Holmes being forced out by Dave MacKay as part of the deal for Paul Dobson.
Wouldn't have thought it at the time but he went on to play in Premier League but that must 30 years ago.

Can't remember many since if any at all

I remember Paul, think he played at Everton and West Brom, must have been in the 90's

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 05, 2020, 05:12:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
Paul Holmes went from DRFC to Torquay, then Birmingham 5 years later he was at Everton in 1993. Easy to blame DRFC managers but when it comes to Liam, but he is now 23 years of age. He needs to be stamping his ability at National league now. Then he should move back up into league football.
It’s all about him, his attitude, his confidence(without be over the top) and ability.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 05, 2020, 05:14:59 pm by Colin C No.3 »
  McCann had nothing to do with Mandeville and McCullough being let go the die was cast before he took over and was the fault of the players not conducting themselves the way the club expect employees to act, and rightfully so.
  Beestin was McCanns choice and down to playing ability not being of a good enough standard in his opinion.

In what way didn’t McCullogh conduct himself properly?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012