Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:19:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Roll up roll up Coronavirus Tests just £20  (Read 3796 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Roll up roll up Coronavirus Tests just £20
« on April 29, 2020, 07:24:41 am by Donnywolf »
I fully expect that people will actually be paid soon to take Tests just so we reach 100000 by tomorrow so what better way than to pay people to take them ! Its the next big thing

Seriously though - its a problem made by the Govt themselves saying we are ramping up testing to 100000 by .... and then they are falling over themselves to comply when maybe (I am guessing) they could be diverting their energies elsewhere

What it will mean I am guessing again is that all this big opening up of testing to more and more people is that the Govt will reach its target of 100000 but that people who really need them will still not get them .
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:29:07 am by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ian1980

• Forum Member
Re: Roll up roll up Coronavirus Tests just £20
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2020, 08:14:31 am by ian1980 »
And there’ll also be so much focus and emphasis on it if they don’t hit 100k

What if they get 98k tomorrow??

Me, I’d take that as bloody good considering I didn’t think they’d get anywhere near it a week ago but you just watch the media clambering over themselves to tear shreds a off the Govt for not get the 100k

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 29, 2020, 09:13:55 am by ravenrover »
If they don'tmake it so what? The media will be all over it like a rash if the fail tomorrow and then what - nothing!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 29, 2020, 09:17:56 am by Pancho Regan »

Me, I’d take that as bloody good considering I didn’t think they’d get anywhere near it a week ago but you just watch the media clambering over themselves to tear shreds a off the Govt for not get the 100k

If they hit anything near to 98K tomorrow I'd call that a major success.

Unfortunately there will be a part of me that would doubt the validity of the figure, but maybe I'm just cynical.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 29, 2020, 09:18:10 am by IDM »
In some ways it doesn’t matter if the expanded testing might be misdirected - to inflate the numbers to make the government look better - as more testing is always a good thing.

Good, but could be better perhaps.

The issue is why weren’t we able to test to this extent several weeks ago.?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 29, 2020, 09:37:43 am by Donnywolf »
Unprepared I believe if you believe the Panorama Prog ?

Apparantly way way behiind with any stockpiles of Swabs Testing Kits and of course the PPE but now we have the Capacity v Testing sideshow

Hancock apparantly given easy ride this morning on BBC again when suggesting his initial target was to have the capacity to test 100000 whereas I am sure he said we would have 100000 tests done per day

Morgan on Good Morgan on ITV (catchy name) called him out as a liar and said Hancock said 100000 TESTS not the opportunity to carry out 100000 tests per day. Hancock was due on but did not show but Morgan said he looked forward to asking him when they next had him on

Unfortunately I just read (was it true) that residents in Dorset Care Home had to visit Gatwick for their tests so hardly ideal. Bloke from Lincoln came to Keepmoat test with a 12 noon test and was seen at 17.30 - so the situation is far from ideal.

So people in Care Homes wherever they are have to maybe leave where they work thus leaving their "patients" to spend hours getting tested . Is it beyond our capabilty to have a mobile test centre(s) to arrive say in Thorne and visit the carers and give them results in a day or two and repeat as necessary ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 29, 2020, 09:49:47 am by silent majority »

Apparantly way way behiind with any stockpiles of Swabs Testing Kits and of course the PPE but now we have the Capacity v Testing sideshow

Hancock apparantly given easy ride this morning on BBC again when suggesting his initial target was to have the capacity to test 100000 whereas I am sure he said we would have 100000 tests done per day

Morgan on Good Morgan on ITV (catchy name) called him out as a liar and said Hancock said 100000 TESTS not the opportunity to carry out 100000 tests per day. Hancock was due on but did not show but Morgan said he looked forward to asking him when they next had him on

Unfortunately I just read (was it true) that residents in Dorset Care Home had to visit Gatwick for their tests so hardly ideal. Bloke from Lincoln came to Keepmoat test with a 12 noon test and was seen at 17.30 - so the situation is far from ideal.

So people in Care Homes wherever they are have to maybe leave where they work thus leaving their "patients" to spend hours getting tested . Is it beyond our capabilty to have a mobile test centre(s) to arrive say in Thorne and visit the carers and give them results in a day or two and repeat as necessary ?

You do realise how many Care Homes there are wolfy? A logistical nightmare doing it that way.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 29, 2020, 10:14:29 am by SydneyRover »
National Pathology Programme

You would think this system should have been able to help, there was plenty of warning.

''Digital First comes at a key time for the NHS,
which treats around one million people every 36
hours. One quarter of the population (just over
15 million people) has a long term condition such
as diabetes, depression, dementia or high blood
pressure - accounting for fifty per cent of all GP
appointments and seventy per cent of days in
hospital. The number of older people likely to
require care is predicted to rise by over 60 per
cent by 2030. Hospital treatment for over 75s has
increased by 65 per cent over the past decade and
someone over 85 is 25 time more likely to spend a
day in hospital than those under 65. This increased
demand comes at a time of financial pressure,
where modelling shows that continuing with the
current model of care will lead to a funding gap of
around thirty billion pounds between 2013/14 and
2020/21.(1)''

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/pathol-dig-first.pdf

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2020, 10:26:57 am by selby »
On the subject of care Homes, when my father was taken ill he spent time in a hospice until assessed and going into a private care home for which he was charged according to his finances savings and the value of his home.
   The fees are substantial my friend paying over a £250,000 over time that was raised by the sale of his parents house.
  Others in the same situation are funded by the state if their circumstances are such that they cannot fund themselves, but still at a substantial rate a month. I have no problem with that at all care should be provided in old age.
  The point is they are private companies, who do in most cases provide a great service, certainly I was very happy with the way my father was looked after. But surely the companies that  own the business should be responsible for the provision of the equipment (PPE) to  their staff and it's supply.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 29, 2020, 10:39:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »

If they get to 98k, that would be a very good outcome.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 29, 2020, 11:38:09 am by ian1980 »

If they get to 98k, that would be a very good outcome.

I agree but you can bet the media would focus on the fact that it’s 2k short of the target and go to town on that rather than focusing on the achievement.

That being said, I’m still not confident they’ll get that close to it anyway but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 29, 2020, 12:06:05 pm by Donnywolf »

You do realise how many Care Homes there are wolfy? A logistical nightmare doing it that way.

Yes - I started listing just the ones in Thorne and kept adding them one by one. Probably 10 at least and its not going to be a total shock if the deaths there (in Care Homes ntionwide) do eclipse that of those in Hospital

Hope not and just wish they could "solve" the logistical nightmare somehow because the residents and staff are so vulnerable.

If one or more of my Parents or In laws were alive I couldnt leave one / all of them so exposed.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 29, 2020, 03:04:51 pm by idler »
Between two weeks and ten days ago the nursing home opposite was a hive of activity. Ambulances, funeral directors and the coroner's van a couple of times. This has now slowed right down thankfully.
A friend in her 80s lives near us. I did her garden last week and she had just got out of hospital after a fall and tested clear. She went back in on Sunday evening and is now rumoured to be positive.
I hope she isn't because with her heart condition and bad chest she will never make it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 29, 2020, 03:20:32 pm by ravenrover »

If they hit anything near to 98K tomorrow I'd call that a major success.

Unfortunately there will be a part of me that would doubt the validity of the figure, but maybe I'm just cynical.

Do they take a swab from the nose and the throat per person? So thats 2 tests by their accounting method

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2020, 08:00:44 am by drfchound »
It is very obvious that the 100,000 tests per day isn’t going to be met and as DW suggested, the media will be all over that today.
Apparently the BBC is the governments puppet according to some vsc posters but even the bbc is all over it this morning.

Irrespective of how many tests per day get done though, as people start to bang the drum to end or relax the lockdown, how can we feel safe going out in public anyway.
Someone could have a test today, be found to be negative, then be happy to go about their business in public.
They could then catch the virus in the next few days and infect other people.
If that happens multiple times then we just go back to where we were a few weeks ago don’t we.
Will there be a limit on how many tests a person can have.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2020, 08:33:18 am by IDM »
It was the BBC who aired the panorama programme wasn’t it.?

I wouldn’t label them as the government’s puppet at all.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2020, 08:35:56 am by drfchound »
The bbc news programmes have been hammered on here for some time now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2020, 08:42:43 am by IDM »
They don’t always ask pressing questions, agreed, but they do report the factual information..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2020, 08:54:25 am by Donnywolf »
It was the BBC who aired the panorama programme wasn’t it.?

I wouldn’t label them as the government’s puppet at all.

I have stopped watching their News and current affairs because I realised quite recently that they are going easy on the Government.

The moment I came to that conclusion was the Election Debate when a Johnson clip was altered by the BBC and it distorted the whole "feeling"

I saw it live on one evening and did not see the repeat till next morning. I was stunned because I said to Mrs DW I am sure the audience was in fits of laughter and I went back to recording and there it was.

I was going to explain what happened but this is the first thing I found when I searched just now which "will do". Sorry I think the Beeb have lost my trust. I thought they were straight and upstanding and could be relied on but in my opinion they are not any more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5cSq_iRlDQ

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2020, 09:09:09 am by SydneyRover »

It's relative, the BBC is infinitely better than the sun, the mail, the telegraph ..................................

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2020, 09:11:31 am by drfchound »

It's relative, the BBC is infinitely better than the sun, the mail, the telegraph ..................................

Maybe SR, but that doesn’t change my point.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2020, 09:21:33 am by SydneyRover »
Remind me what your point was hound?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 30, 2020, 09:31:05 am by drfchound »
Remind me what your point was hound?

:facepalm:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2020, 03:29:30 pm by drfchound »
It is very obvious that the 100,000 tests per day isn’t going to be met and as DW suggested, the media will be all over that today.
Apparently the BBC is the governments puppet according to some vsc posters but even the bbc is all over it this morning.

Irrespective of how many tests per day get done though, as people start to bang the drum to end or relax the lockdown, how can we feel safe going out in public anyway.
Someone could have a test today, be found to be negative, then be happy to go about their business in public.
They could then catch the virus in the next few days and infect other people.
If that happens multiple times then we just go back to where we were a few weeks ago don’t we.
Will there be a limit on how many tests a person can have.

I find it interesting that no one is offering any opinions on my above post.
So many experts on the forum but no proposed answers to a couple of my questions.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2020, 04:11:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No expert here Hound and nothing really to add to your point which I largely agree with.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2020, 06:01:30 pm by drfchound »
No expert here Hound and nothing really to add to your point which I largely agree with.

Cheers bfyp.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 30, 2020, 06:54:32 pm by idler »
The ones that suffer the most when targets aren't met are the ones being treated or most at risk.
Surely a minister or spokesman would ask the ones in the know what is realistic and achievable rather than pluck a figure out of thin air.  Saying that you hope to achieve a realistic figure is forgive able if you don't quite make it. Should you go for a headline grabbing total and fail spectacularly then you are there to be shot at.
Surely this is the same for any party?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 30, 2020, 08:55:06 pm by drfchound »
Idler, I agree with all of that.
Do you think that Hancock gave the 100,000 figure based on the advice he was given?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 30, 2020, 09:02:09 pm by idler »
Possibly but if I was going on national TV and all of the other news media I would be asking more than once of my advisors just how attainable the figures were. I would then say in my briefing that it was felt that X amount was a realistic figure. Why gauruntee a figure that you have no control over?
People will forgive to an extent if your figure is realistic and almost achieved. When it is unachievable and misses by a mile surely you expect ridicule and criticism?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 30, 2020, 09:07:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Idler, I agree with all of that.
Do you think that Hancock gave the 100,000 figure based on the advice he was given?

I've no idea. Do you think he gave that assurance to the QT audience that the Govt was liaising with supermarkets on getting food delivered to the vulnerable based on advice he was given?

Or that response to a journalist when he insisted that he hadn't promised we'd be at 25,000 tests per day by mid April? Do you think he based that answer on advice he'd been given? (Plot spoiler: He had. We didn't.)

Either the Dept of Health advisers give really, really bad advice which Hancock keeps taking, or Hancock is barely on nodding terms with the truth. Take your pick.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012