Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:24:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Where's Wolf?  (Read 3064 times)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Re: Where's Wolf?
« Reply #30 on May 08, 2020, 09:55:34 am by tommy toes »
Have you listened to Monty Python - the Travel Agent sketch (surely yes)

The thread running through it was about Watneys Red Barrel - and the punchline came when "your Plane is delayed at Luton (long explanation why) .... and you cant even get a drink of Watneys Red Barrel because you're still in England and the bloody Bar closes every time you are thirsty

I cant rate that sketch highly enough and if people have never heard it try it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to22rRnK7gE

I used to know that sketch off by heart.
Used to bore John Kelly with it on nights at Rockware.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 08, 2020, 10:06:51 am by Filo »
Wolfie
An I dreaming or was there s pub called The Mailed Horse on the corner near the traffic lights?
Bottom of King Edward Road.

The Mailed Horse, was a reincarnation of The North Eastern/ Corner Pin

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 08, 2020, 10:18:03 am by SydneyRover »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 08, 2020, 11:07:51 am by Donnywolf »
Not now.

It was named the North Eastern in honour of that Railway coming to town (dont know if that involved a name change or the 2 events coincided) EDIT - name changed from Corner Pin see link below

Then it changed its name back  (via edit) to the Corner Pin I would guess in the early 80s (just a guess) and then later as you remember correctly the Mailed Horse or as my late father in law said once "strange name for a Pub - Malted Horse)

Dont remember (but certainly wonder) what promted either of those name changes
Found this when researching the North Eastern name changes - good info including Black-a-Moors Head which I had forgotten about - and Common Kiln but whether that was a Pub I would need to ask someone way older than me but I rarely see him other than in Windmill (formerly Barnsley Bitter of course)
http://historyofthorne.com/publications/darleys-family.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:18:45 am by Donnywolf »

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 08, 2020, 12:47:53 pm by tommy toes »
Could start  a topic on strange pub names.
One that springs to mind is The Bucket of Blood near Hayle in Cornwall.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 08, 2020, 12:59:51 pm by Donnywolf »
Another chapter - bet Wetherspoons have a lot of them !

See John Kelly at Jack Hawley at the Grange (strange name itself) in Hatfield now and again

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 08, 2020, 06:29:09 pm by RedRover45 »
Could start  a topic on strange pub names.
One that springs to mind is The Bucket of Blood near Hayle in Cornwall.

The one that always makes me smile is My Fathers Moustache in Louth.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 09, 2020, 07:18:03 am by Donnywolf »
The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn has the longest name (G Book of Records) and is in Stalybridge

The Q Inn has the shortest name (G Book of Records) and is in errrr Stalybridge

Bloke who signwrote the first had obviously overdone it and needed a rest when he did the second

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 09, 2020, 09:22:28 am by idler »
A horses head with armour on was Darleys logo at one time wan't it? That might explain the name change.
One of the best names that I saw was The Burglars Dog in Blyth, Northumberland
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:59:15 pm by idler »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 09, 2020, 09:50:52 am by Bentley Bullet »
I called it the battery acid brewery...

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 09, 2020, 08:42:43 pm by turnbull for england »
Not now.

It was named the North Eastern in honour of that Railway coming to town (dont know if that involved a name change or the 2 events coincided) EDIT - name changed from Corner Pin see link below

Then it changed its name back  (via edit) to the Corner Pin I would guess in the early 80s (just a guess) and then later as you remember correctly the Mailed Horse or as my late father in law said once "strange name for a Pub - Malted Horse)

Dont remember (but certainly wonder) what promted either of those name changes
Found this when researching the North Eastern name changes - good info including Black-a-Moors Head which I had forgotten about - and Common Kiln but whether that was a Pub I would need to ask someone way older than me but I rarely see him other than in Windmill (formerly Barnsley Bitter of course)
http://historyofthorne.com/publications/darleys-family.html

Mailed horse relates to the Darleys symbol, a horse in armour.  The grand reopening was on a sat , when they knocked  rooms into  one .We had been to Fulham away mid90s  we got stuffed

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 10, 2020, 07:06:51 am by Donnywolf »
I called it the battery acid brewery...

If only it looked as good as that now, Last time I studied it there were only a couple of letter lest on the sign and I will check whether gates are still on

Its galling but not unique that the industry itself (Brewing) was stripped from the Town but whilst most - almost all - of the Site was razed to the ground the Brewery tower itself was or became a listed building and was left standing. So we have the worst of all (first) worlds - no industry but a white elephant standing right there in the middle of Town forever

There is another example of this within a very few miles as well which I will not name for fear of being "slated"

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 10, 2020, 08:59:33 am by Donnywolf »
Just looked at highlights and I had forgotten that Number 17 and his squeal when Ben got the ball off him. Was lad to see it led to a Goal

Ref got 38 x Nil votes as well - Muppertry of the highest order I put at the time

TinyPortal © 2005-2012