Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:03:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Where's Wolf?  (Read 3063 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Where's Wolf?
« on May 07, 2020, 11:25:05 am by SydneyRover »
Donnywolf usually the first to comment each day, has he been given the day off, what's going on?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
Re: Where's Wolf?
« Reply #1 on May 07, 2020, 01:02:31 pm by bahrain rover »
Maybe the vast amount of home brew he was about to tap in to.
That's where I would be. ;) 

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 07, 2020, 01:28:35 pm by Donnywolf »
Thanks for missing me

I get up earlier each day in Summer (as soon as its light) and then take my dog a walk. That used to be for a long way but he is now 15 days short of his 17th Birthday so its about a round trip of 300 yards !

We were already back in this morning at 05.30 and then after feeding him I got out the PC and went through "stuff". It amazes me how people are still posting at 1 am - because as I get up so early I am dead to the world at 10pm almost like a battery running out !

If I have tapped the aforementioned home brew then nature gets a hand and I can fall asleep way before that but having said that I cant explain my absence this morning except I have not posted much on the footie bit lately and the Off topic bit is full of stuff I could comment on but I tend to be just not a fan of Johnson or his pack of disciples who I cant be bothered to mention lol - making my posts repetetive even to me

You know who they are.

Not had a drink for 4 nights so under pressure to have some Woodfordes Wherry tonight but either way I will be back tomorrow ! See you all then
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:31:03 pm by Donnywolf »

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 07, 2020, 04:24:38 pm by turnbull for england »
Woodfordes Wherry   another good  reason to visit Norfolk

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 07, 2020, 04:37:26 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes along with Admirals Revenge. I have got a Kit of that ready for my next brew.

Loved the Norfolk Broads as did my dog once he got used to getting on and off

Woodfordes Fur and Feather was good and perhaps they have one of the best Brewery shops I have been in - and I loved the return trip to Coltishall and of course the 2 Pubs at "the end of the line"

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 07, 2020, 04:45:43 pm by turnbull for england »
Not been for a few years but some belting pubs in that area

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 07, 2020, 04:47:41 pm by Donnywolf »
... and fo the uninitiated Woodfordes until a few years back were unique in that they had won the Supreme Beer in the UK title twice with different Beers - Wherry and Nog

Timothy Taylors HAD won many more titles all with Landlord - but then had to go and spoil Woodfordes "party" by winning a few years back with Boltmaker !
EDIT - Obviously fact checked what I have believed all these years is a crock of s**t as Fullers of London (full name Fullers Smith and Turner) have actually won it quite a few times and they had 3 different winners in ESB, London Pride and Chiswick Bitter (suitably chastised I have now dropped my story I have told for quite a few years)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:56:47 pm by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 07, 2020, 04:50:10 pm by Donnywolf »
Not been for a few years but some belting pubs in that area

Yes and its a win win because as you will know when its peak season you have to moor up early if you want to be near a Pub !

This frees up lots of drinking time (if you like that sort of thing of course)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 07, 2020, 04:53:20 pm by drfchound »
What do you think of Adnans of Southwold DW.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 07, 2020, 05:01:45 pm by Donnywolf »
Cant really say because its ages since I had any but I would like Broadside for sure (think I have had that plenty) and their Bitter as I do tend to stick to Bitters

Would love to go back in time and try real Barnsley Bitter and of course Thorne's own Darley's

Not made it to Southwold either - perhaps when there are just the 2 of us we will get a Motorhome and go round and round the UK poking into places I have missed

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 07, 2020, 07:29:03 pm by drfchound »
Well, I hope it doesn't come to that.
Nothing personal.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 07, 2020, 08:45:48 pm by turnbull for england »
As a Thorne lad. Hard pushed to find anyone with fond memories of a pint of Farley's, although they reckon the in house bar was the place to be

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 07, 2020, 08:55:43 pm by Filo »
As a Thorne lad. Hard pushed to find anyone with fond memories of a pint of Farley's, although they reckon the in house bar was the place to be

Darleys got better the further away from Thorne it got, a pint in the North Eastern/ Corner Pin was disgusting, yet when you went out the Brid it was OK

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 07, 2020, 09:09:47 pm by turnbull for england »
Railway in town always had decent Barnsley , 2nd generation

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 07, 2020, 09:11:02 pm by turnbull for england »
Which other pubs in Thorne were Darleys, thinking White Hart, and Green Dragon ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 07, 2020, 09:42:18 pm by Filo »
Which other pubs in Thorne were Darleys, thinking White Hart, and Green Dragon ?

White Hart deffo, I’m sure Green Dragon was as well, can’t think of any others, New Inn in Stainy used to be Darleys

Rising Sun may have been Darleys but not sure

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 07, 2020, 10:12:27 pm by Iberian Red »

Darleys got better the further away from Thorne it got

Thorne got better the further away from Thorne you got,not sure about Darleys! :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 07, 2020, 10:19:18 pm by Filo »

Thorne got better the further away from Thorne you got,not sure about Darleys! :)

Being from Stainy I can’t disagree with that 😂😂😂

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 07, 2020, 11:32:48 pm by idler »
What was the one just before the canal bridge as you went into Thorne?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 08, 2020, 06:01:58 am by Donnywolf »
Rising Sun (Darleys) which closed long ago and which has happy memories for me

I had my joint 21st Party there

I watched the Chelsea Leeds Replay there (say no more)

It has recently been flattened and will eventually become more housing

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 08, 2020, 06:08:14 am by Donnywolf »

Being from Stainy I cant agree with that  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 08, 2020, 06:44:47 am by Donnywolf »

White Hart deffo, I’m sure Green Dragon was as well, can’t think of any others, New Inn in Stainy used to be Darleys

Rising Sun may have been Darleys but not sure

North Eastern (Corner Pin) was a Darleys and as you will remember virtually attached to the Brewery. White Hart yes Rising Sun yes and Green Dragon yes and of course the Red Bear was a Darleys so 5 if my memory is correct

There were some others (previously) which were closed down such as the Red Lion which stood where Boots is now and right beside what was the Market Hall  (see Photo) - but before that I would need an egghead to mark my card
What a fine building that Market Hall was and to think the Mexborough one is now a Wetherspoons - if only the Hall could have survived longer than it did - demolished early 70s I guess.
Red Lion I never drunk in but remember seeing it so gone before 69
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:56:44 am by Donnywolf »

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 08, 2020, 08:37:14 am by Hounslowrover »
Used to pop out of school in the sixth form, always went to the Rising Sun to avoid the teachers, though might see them in The Old Thornensians club on an evening. I quite enjoyed Darleys, though a memory on arriving from London with my family, my son would say he knew we'd arrived because of the smell in the air of beer and smoke.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 08, 2020, 08:44:57 am by Donnywolf »
Nothing personal.

Maybe to explain - dont know if you misunderstood but I meant when I lose my Dog Mrs DW and I will get some sort of Motorhome / Caravan and travel "the world". Hope its not for many a long day yet !

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 08, 2020, 08:57:14 am by Filo »

Being from Stainy I cant agree with that  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crossing over to the dark side disqualifies you from that statement 😂😂😂😂

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 08, 2020, 09:03:48 am by drfchound »
Nothing personal.

Maybe to explain - dont know if you misunderstood but I meant when I lose my Dog Mrs DW and I will get some sort of Motorhome / Caravan and travel "the world". Hope its not for many a long day yet !

I knew what you meant wolfie, I was putting a different slant on it, that you were meaning you and me travelling together.
LoL. 🧳🦖🦖

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 08, 2020, 09:15:03 am by SydneyRover »
One of my biggest disappointments when I first started to frequent pubs was Watneys Red Barrel, I think it was the pub near Bowers Fold that sold it, I thought it was awful, maybe I had to develop a taste but that was the only time I've tried it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 08, 2020, 09:47:01 am by idler »
Red Barrel and Worthingtons E together with Double Diamond were the usual beers in the nightclubs. I think they were so bad it made drinking lager easier for some.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 08, 2020, 09:48:41 am by Donnywolf »
Have you listened to Monty Python - the Travel Agent sketch (surely yes)

The thread running through it was about Watneys Red Barrel - and the punchline came when "your Plane is delayed at Luton (long explanation why) .... and you cant even get a drink of Watneys Red Barrel because you're still in England and the bloody Bar closes every time you are thirsty

I cant rate that sketch highly enough and if people have never heard it try it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to22rRnK7gE

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 08, 2020, 09:51:36 am by tommy toes »
Wolfie
An I dreaming or was there s pub called The Mailed Horse on the corner near the traffic lights?
Bottom of King Edward Road.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012