Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:52:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 1654 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Facebook
« on May 08, 2020, 06:43:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ok, here's an interesting little thing.

I did a Google search earlier for a very specific product. A slightly obscure kitchen product. The sort of thing that very few people buy or would think of buying.

I'm not on Facebook. Never have been. I never understood why so many people rushed to give Zuckerberg unlimited rights to monetize their private lives.

But Mrs S-T is. And she's just had an advert pop up in her FB feed for precisely the product that I was searching for.

How's that happened then?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on May 08, 2020, 07:00:03 pm by Copps is Magic »
Cookies. It reads them, then you get 'Retargeting' adds. Search for that for an explanation.

The weirdest one for me personally is geo-based add. I live in an high Turkish population area. I constantly get adds on my screen for 'muslim singles', women smiling in hijabs etc. I've tried to use the function on facebook to mark the adds as inappropriate but it does nowt.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 08, 2020, 07:05:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah. But it's sent the advert for the thing *I* was looking at, to my wife's FB. That's the thing.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 08, 2020, 07:22:56 pm by Sprotyrover »
Yeah. But it's sent the advert for the thing *I* was looking at, to my wife's FB. That's the thing.
Did you et into trouble ?😉

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 08, 2020, 07:52:34 pm by Nudga »
Did you speak about it with your wife before she opened Facebook?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 08, 2020, 08:04:47 pm by IDM »
If you are using the same WiFi do you have the same IP address.?

I don’t use Facebook either..

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 08, 2020, 08:09:05 pm by Nudga »
I went to an old mates wedding last year.
We had our photo took together with another mate.
I uploaded it to Facebook. Weirdly, Facebook had tagged my two mates in the picture, I didn't tag them.

Facial recognition ?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 08, 2020, 08:55:00 pm by NickDRFC »
I uploaded it to Facebook. Weirdly, Facebook had tagged my two mates in the picture, I didn't tag them.

Facial recognition ?

I think anyone can tag photos in Facebook but I don’t think the app itself does - you sure someone else didn’t just tag them?

Weirdly enough I’ve heard a few stories of stuff like this over the past few days. One mate was talking to his wife about getting new shorts, and a few hours later an advert for men’s shorts popped up on her Instagram feed. Another mate was watching a tv programme where they mentioned the tiger king, and a little later there was a YouTube video suggested about Joe Exotic despite him never searching anything like that before.

Either iPhones are playing a bit more fast and loose with data gathering or people are getting a bit more paranoid being stuck at home for 23 hours a day...

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 08, 2020, 09:12:23 pm by albie »
On Firefox, you can restrict BookFace in a container;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/facebook-container/?src=search

As well as putting Zuckerberg in a box, you can use a broad spectrum blocker like uBlockOrigin;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=recommended_fallback

Keeps many ads at bay, but some folks like pimped ads!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2020, 09:16:38 pm by Nudga »

Facial recognition ?

I think anyone can tag photos in Facebook but I don’t think the app itself does - you sure someone else didn’t just tag them?

Weirdly enough I’ve heard a few stories of stuff like this over the past few days. One mate was talking to his wife about getting new shorts, and a few hours later an advert for men’s shorts popped up on her Instagram feed. Another mate was watching a tv programme where they mentioned the tiger king, and a little later there was a YouTube video suggested about Joe Exotic despite him never searching anything like that before.

Either iPhones are playing a bit more fast and loose with data gathering or people are getting a bit more paranoid being stuck at home for 23 hours a day...

Nope, Facebook tagged them before I'd actually pressed post.

Edit, this was in June last year before anyone says I've been at home too long with David Icke

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2020, 09:32:10 pm by wilts rover »

Facial recognition ?

Nope, Facebook tagged them before I'd actually pressed post.

Edit, this was in June last year before anyone says I've been at home too long with David Icke

Had someone else already uploaded the same photo - and tagged it?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2020, 09:41:06 pm by Nudga »
No.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 08, 2020, 10:00:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sproty. If you are suggesting some sexual peccadillo, funnily enough kitchen white goods don't tend to float my boat.

IDM. Nope, we don't have the same IP address.

Nudga: Yep I did mention it to her once. Neither of us have any voice-activated software or hardware.

Two possibilities as far as I can see.

1) She has inadvertently got an app which is listening in to conversations.

2) Google have a connection between our accounts. We have shared access to the other person's Google account for stuff on Google Drive and Photos.

Either way it is rather depressing. Just losing control...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2020, 10:43:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If you're on the same WiFi then you'll have the same public IP address (assigned by your ISP, which is what you'll see next to your posts on here) which is what companies target. You will have a different private internal IP though (192.168.XXX.XXX).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:54:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 08, 2020, 10:55:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Understood DO.

It's f**ked it for me being able to get her a surprise birthday present in future.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2020, 05:06:27 am by RedRover45 »
BST

Have you got an Alexa ?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2020, 08:42:54 am by GazLaz »
This has happened to me numerous times and always wondered why it was. Last week it was magnetic eyelash extensions. My Mrs couldn’t understand why the hell they popped up on her feed. 

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2020, 10:17:38 am by Nudga »
Me and my missus were reminiscing about our holiday in America and decided we would go back sometime in the future.

She went onto Facebook and an advert popped up for alcatraz /golden gate tours.

When I went on I had a 4 night Las Vegas deal pop up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2020, 11:29:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2020, 08:08:33 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
funnily enough i heard about this today regarding facebook   "class action"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/technology/facebook-privacy-lawsuit-earnings.html

beware of the doncaster unfree press these local papers have  frightening amount of cookies on them

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 11, 2020, 08:46:10 am by keyser_soze »
Understood DO.

It's f**ked it for me being able to get her a surprise birthday present in future.

You need to use the 'incognito' or 'w**king' mode that most browsers now have when searching for presents. My missus hasn't yet been presented with the option to purchase 'louise wener's nipples' when spying on her mates and looking for evidence of cosmetic surgery in their holiday photos or whatever the f**k it is she does on FB. (They must be laughing putting the little spy fella on Google Chrome, it should be a guy there with cock in hand)

its when my conversations starting popping up on there I get scared. I've had some pretty abstract conversations with people about something I've never discussed before in my life, then on occasion there is an ad popping up on there. They swear blind our phones aren't listening, and chances are sometimes I've gone straight to Google absent mindedly after talking about something, but definitely not the case everytime.

I guess most of it is just our innate predictability. A bloke like me approaching his mid forties is bound to try and look for random new hobbies and escapism, even if I don't intend to actually do it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:01:51 am by keyser_soze »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012